Valve Cover Gasket Question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve got an ‘05 LX470 with 210K miles. Recently acquired. Pretty good, routine, dealer service records. I’ve only had it about 2 months and have been daily driving it. Yesterday, I smelled burnt oil after about a 10 mile drive. Appears to be some slight seeping from original VC gasket. I changed the oil about 1500 miles ago and today there is zero indication of oil loss on dipstick, no drips on ground, no sign of oil leak on undercarriage. Has anyone had luck with just snugging the VC bolts by feel to stop seepage? I’m trying to delay the VC gasket replacement until I’ve tended to numerous other routine maintenance needs- mostly suspension / drivetrain related, as I don’t see the VC gasket as urgent at this point.

its worth a try, but the culprit is that the rubber material for the VC gaskets gets dry and hardened with age. The only solution is to replace with OEM new gaskets and properly toque the bolts. I would recommend a new set of OEM bolts along with your OEM gaskets.
oh. and dont snap any of the bolts when you are removing them...

Yes, VC weeps are very common on this platform. Snug up gently and degrease the area and monitor. No need to jump into the deep end and replace everything. Both my 2000 and now, 2006, have had VC weeps resolved by snugging them up.

I’ve got an ‘05 LX470 with 210K miles. Recently acquired. Pretty good, routine, dealer service records. I’ve only had it about 2 months and have been daily driving it. Yesterday, I smelled burnt oil after about a 10 mile drive. Appears to be some slight seeping from original VC gasket. I changed the oil about 1500 miles ago and today there is zero indication of oil loss on dipstick, no drips on ground, no sign of oil leak on undercarriage. Has anyone had luck with just snugging the VC bolts by feel to stop seepage? I’m trying to delay the VC gasket replacement until I’ve tended to numerous other routine maintenance needs- mostly suspension / drivetrain related, as I don’t see the VC gasket as urgent at this point.
Sounds like the lack of leak after the oil change is enough reason to delay swapping the gasket. Use good oil, Snug up the bolts gently, monitor it, but eventually it may need to get done. The PS side being slightly easier than the DS because of all the crap in the way.

Yes, VC weeps are very common on this platform. Snug up gently and degrease the area and monitor. No need to jump into the deep end and replace everything. Both my 2000 and now, 2006, have had VC weeps resolved by snugging them up.
Thank you! Define snug, if you could, please.

Thank you! Define snug, if you could, please.

Sure, I'm betting you can take a 10mm socket and turn them very easily, if not my hand. IIRC, the VC torque values are something like 7ft. lbs, so very low! I would first, take a 1/4" socket tighten them in a star pattern, until you feel a little resistance.

Degrease and wipe off that entire area as well.

While replacing spark plugs and installing Denso coil boots and seals kits. The VC are a while your in there thing!

I've retorqued more 4.7L VC bolts, to 54INCH-lbf., than I can remember. To date, this has stopped all weeping. The only VC gaskets or spark plug tube seals I've had to replaced. Are ones someone had previously replaced. Re-toque VC bolts, works, until it doesn't! ;)

Do not over tight the bolts: If too tight, the ears can snap from the main valve cover body.

Once the gasket is mounted to the valve cover, apply a small film of FIPG (toyota brand is the best) on the meeting side of the rubber gasket before placing the valve cover on cylinder head.

While replacing spark plugs and installing Denso coil boots and seals kits. The VC are a while your in there thing!

I've retorqued more 4.7L VC bolts, to 54INCH-lbf., than I can remember. To date, this has stopped all weeping. The only VC gaskets or spark plug tube seals I've had to replaced. Are ones someone had previously replaced. Re-toque VC bolts, works, until it doesn't! ;)
Why do you have to haunt me with the loose spark plug topic😂. My truck had a tick, tick, tick when I bought it a couple months ago. I chalked it up to slight exhaust manifold crack or gasket leak. PO stated has ticked since he bought 70K miles ago. Not too noticeable on start up- of at all. Worse at higher RPM more load on engine. Barely audible in city traffic- if at all. Definitely much more pronounced in sub-zero temps we had back in January. I have record where a Toyota dealer replaced spark plugs at around 180K, if IIRC. I’m going to check plug torque and snug to your higher value when I snug VC bolts. FYI, there are no misfire codes stored. Only stored code is a bank 2 sensor 1 code- I’ve got an upstream O2 sensor coming my way. Wouldn’t loose plugs set a MIL??

Why do you have to haunt me with the loose spark plug topic😂. My truck had a tick, tick, tick when I bought it a couple months ago. I chalked it up to slight exhaust manifold crack or gasket leak. PO stated has ticked since he bought 70K miles ago. Not too noticeable on start up- of at all. Worse at higher RPM more load on engine. Barely audible in city traffic- if at all. Definitely much more pronounced in sub-zero temps we had back in January. I have record where a Toyota dealer replaced spark plugs at around 180K, if IIRC. I’m going to check plug torque and snug to your higher value when I snug VC bolts. FYI, there are no misfire codes stored. Only stored code is a bank 2 sensor 1 code- I’ve got an upstream O2 sensor coming my way. Wouldn’t loose plugs set a MIL??
Loose spark, will not set off a DTC (MIL). Until after blowing out of the head. With few exceptions. Like prematurely failure of coil, from being cooked by hot combustion gasses.

Rule of thumb: If we hear the tick, tick, tick. Replace or at minimum, check sparks plugs. If spark are good and tight, you've and exhaust manifold leak.

Many have had sparks plugs blow out of the head, which damages the head at minimum.

I've yet to see damage, from exhaust manifold (crack) leak. But concern is, CAT damage.

Last edited:
Those gaskets get hard as a rock. Once you relent and actually replace them, you will realize that "snugging them up" is only a temporary solution.

I did that too. I doesn't last forever.

Just get on with it and replace the VC gaskets.

Those gaskets get hard as a rock. Once you relent and actually replace them, you will realize that "snugging them up" is only a temporary solution.

I did that too. I doesn't last forever.

Just get on with it and replace the VC gaskets.
Thank you. I’m going to go with 2001LC’s advice and retorque all VC bolts to 54 inch lbs / ft using some kind of star pattern. We’ll see what that does for now. Will also check spark plug torque while in there. Only thing I’m missing is time🙄.

Thank you. I’m going to go with 2001LC’s advice and retorque all VC bolts to 54 inch lbs / ft using some kind of star pattern. We’ll see what that does for now. Will also check spark plug torque while in there. Only thing I’m missing is time🙄.
I'll note. I use a 1/4" digital torque wrench, so very accurate. I go around a second time, so I torque each bolt twice. They're 1/4 to 3/4 turn loose first pass all the way around. A 1/16 to 1/8 turn second pass. Do not over torque on either pass.

I'll note. I use a 1/4" digital torque wrench, so very accurate. I go around a second time, so I torque each bolt twice. They're 1/4 to 3/4 turn loose first pass all the way around. A 1/16 to 1/8 turn second pass. Do not over torque on either pass.
Yep, I did the same. That will hold for a while.....and then.....not. Rock hard gaskets only seal so well for so long.

Keep the Cruiser Faith.

R.

My snugged down gaskets have been good for 6 years now. I'm hoping to get 10 years out of them, at which point I will snug them down again. I'm planning to replace the gaskets somewhere in the 2035 to 2040 timeframe.

My snugged down gaskets have been good for 6 years now. I'm hoping to get 10 years out of them, at which point I will snug them down again. I'm planning to replace the gaskets somewhere in the 2035 to 2040 timeframe.
Mine is only weeping on pass side from what I can see, and it’s more of a light film than anything. Currently trying to source a 1/4 digital torque wrench for the job. I have a 3/8” digital that would probably work.

Mine is only weeping on pass side from what I can see, and it’s more of a light film than anything. Currently trying to source a 1/4 digital torque wrench for the job. I have a 3/8” digital that would probably work.

3/8" digital will work. Just not as accurate. Since all torque wrench are most accurate in mid range.

I do sometimes use my 3/8" TW digital. I set to inch-lbf. It's min is ~67in-lbf. So I set there, and watch readout. Start to display numbers around 48IN-lbf. I stop at 54in-lbf.

I also do a PCV tune up, at same time if not before. PCV valve must work as designed and both hose nice a sung, without any vacuum leaks.

Yep, I did the same. That will hold for a while.....and then.....not. Rock hard gaskets only seal so well for so long.

Keep the Cruiser Faith.

R.
If VC gaskets "Rock Hard". Consider adding 10oz of AT-205 to crank case, now. As it's likely your oil pump O-ring, rock hard also.
Only add once every 7 to 10 years. You don't want to over do it.

Doing my VC gaskets this weekend. First time tackling such a job and a little worried about snapping a bolt off as i've seen a few posts here of that going wrong. I dont understand why this happens especially on the loosening - when they are so relatively low torque (6NM) and good diamter (~5mm)?

Any tips appreciated.

Doing my VC gaskets this weekend. First time tackling such a job and a little worried about snapping a bolt off as i've seen a few posts here of that going wrong. I dont understand why this happens especially on the loosening - when they are so relatively low torque (6NM) and good diamter (~5mm)?

Any tips appreciated.
Go easy, and after a turn or two backing it out, twist it back in. Spraying PB blaster as your doing this. It will help clear the threads and back it out easy.

Most folks don't have any issues but you're right, IDK why it happens so much. Mine were all loose enough and you'll know right away. If it feels too tight, don't go force it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom