RH Valve Cover Leakage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Would y'all consider this enough oil seepage to warrant a new gasket? I already replaced the passenger side, but left the driver side as-is bc it was so much more difficult to access the bolts and I would much rather not deal with it.

this perspective is through the driver side wheel well where the splash guard has an opening. the bolt in the 1st pic is closest to the front of the engine bay. 2nd pic is above right side of UCA.

rh valve cover 2.jpg

rh valve cover.jpg

is this an acceptable amount of seepage?

Have you tried just tightening up the bolts by hand? They could just be loose and snugging them down a little more could stop it. Just be very gentle since they do not take much torque.

For me, any oil leaking is too much. I have 3 Toyota's that are all over 20 years old, and none of them leaks a drop anywhere. but I keep up with all my maintenance, and when something leaks, i fix it. To each his own

I'd personally consider that "seepage", and tighten the bolts as mentioned above. If it isn't leaking on the exhaust manifold and burning (doesn't look like it is), the level stays constant between changes (probably the case), and you aren't getting annoying drips on the driveway, it's truly an "elective procedure" to fix it. It will however eventually get worse and require a replacement - I am personally deferring that cost to the future (and my gaskets look about the same as yours do). Some of my bolts were very, very loose when I tightened them recently.

thank you all for your input! i'll tighten the bolts for now and order the gasket and bolts to have on hand. maybe get to it in the spring. those dang half moons and gasket maker freak me out though so i am not looking forward to it haha

one last thing though - the gaskets are differentiated by LH or RH and I assumed this was RH bc it's the right side of the engine bay when looking at the engine. do i have it backwards? does toyota say the RH is the passenger side (as in right side when in the vehicle)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom