TTT -- The Tool Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Were the missing connector housings not available from Toyota? The main reason I don't buy them there is that Toyota only sells bare housings; I can get housings, terminals and seals from Ballenger, most times without having to hunt for them. And, AFAIK, Toyota doesn't sell terminals or seals.
Not sure.
Partsouq had some not many. Might put in an inquiry with my local dealer, see what they can do

Purchased this yesterday...why...why not! Seems to work pretty good and yes, the silly tip guard is easily removed and can be reinstalled if desired.

I recently got a few amazon giftcards I had no reason to use, then I remembered "MUH GREASE GUN!!!!"

To follow up on the shenanigans, I ended up getting a battery powered Makita XPG01Z grease gun as the marginal costs (from reputable sellers) was there for a brief period and I happened to have good timing to pull the trigger on the Makita.

I used it this past weekend and let me tell you, it was AWESOME. Hitting that little trigger after you've got your LockNLube on the zerks and hearing the pop of old grease coming through is satisfying to say the least. Trigger discipline takes on a whole new meaning when using this thing though. I did not trust myself to use this on the slip yoke and kept with the standard manual grease gun for those.

:oops: I'm stuck with my Alemite hand pump until someone sends me a gift card (or two!)
1676924767008.png

1676924850902.png

I am in the process of developing two completely unrelated tools (or sets of, as the case may be):

A DLC1 data cable to supply realtime data signal to a BT dongle for both the 1993-1994 and 1995-1997 80 models. MTF

A set of A343F tools (for both the 80 series and 1998-2002 100 series), including the swivel stand for the case, the piston compression tools and the bearing/seal drivers. The swivel stand (which mounts in a bench vise and holds the transmission case either vertically for assembly of internals or upside down horizontally for installation of the valve body, will work with the A442F too.

I'm finally pulling the A343F from number 2 son's LX470 this week for teardown and overhaul, and the other white 80 is next on the list.

Related to the second set, I'm going to fabricate a pan seal tool, alá 09032-00100, since I can't find one (that I want to spend over $100 on) and I don't want to drastically deform the pan. This tool is used to cut the seals on both the engine and transmission pans. It's first on the list to make, and I think it'll be just as easy to make several as one. Any interest, please forward to this post (my inbox is reaching maximum density), and I'll see what it'll take to get it/them made.

It's a handle and clamp bar that holds a (removable/replaceable) hardened cutting bar (clamped in the clamp bar) 90° to the handle, so you can hold the tool below the pan lip and smack the back of it with a hammer, while working around the lip. The idea is that the cutter is long enough that it doesn't form scallops in the pan lip , which would prevent it from sealing when reinstalled.
1678135004741.png

OK, add transmission jack adapter for floor jack to the list. I had to resort to using Sunbelt, and their 2000lb model. This thing is a beast, and way more than I need. I think it weighs almost as much as the gearbox.

After this job, I may open a Land Cruiser transmission service business.

I found one of these someone was willing to part with for a price I could stand (not this one)...it looked so much bigger in the photo

o_O

20230312_103827.jpg

Our camper tires are 110psi and I have the cheapest/crappiest inflator nozzle that only goes to 100 so I have pull out a portable pump that takes forever every time I prep for a trip. I decided I was done dealing with that and did some research. Seems Milton is a well trusted brand in the inflation world so I ordered one. Hated to pay $75 but man was I shocked when it arrived. It is beefy, heavy (made in USA) and I have confidence will last my lifetime.

Excited to go fill up my tires tonight...
20230314_221820.jpg

Our camper tires are 110psi and I have the cheapest/crappiest inflator nozzle that only goes to 100 so I have pull out a portable pump that takes forever every time I prep for a trip. I decided I was done dealing with that and did some research. Seems Milton is a well trusted brand in the inflation world so I ordered one. Hated to pay $75 but man was I shocked when it arrived. It is beefy, heavy (made in USA) and I have confidence will last my lifetime.

View attachment 3273315
I bought something similar (don't recall l the brand) from Grainger years ago. Love it!

View attachment 3273315
I have the very similar digital version of that same inflator. I also have Milton air hose connectors and tire gauges. Very happy with my Milton stuff.

Aerosol Permatex Ultra Black.
1679887841155.png

Wow! so much better than squeezing a tube especially on the super long upper oil pan. I only used maybe a quarter of the can and the rest of it might go bad but it was worth it IMO.

XIiljioM6QtVKoP31vqj40RXl7wNkqZdDVf8u_q_E0rsJRaLeGxR5fRTQlx6aTGGmxh8apK2sjtwV3SEDwIw8YgH9Wr5PWLlLa-rTGmlOt1OeWJAPE3McOU0-coquExv070ecr4eetwttOxQHeb7SE614CecuP8P1M08yJHChj29tI7CPyIJXziVwNUwxK1AaiTSourTreRYwYytypuSLGsGdiiO0v32Oq1zlE3_OE7qmy2H3VQha4uDQ8PCpUOnyCB5VtSJtHuVNvQR0glyDXS88C9AW6pZmF9Mxv7Nk_6lL_kANIVL-Ro04-JG0u6c8bar8hGy5QafcIloYlsXWqIKJFG3bvn3bumQH9XccZJDPpKFNPQIodp8US1isJ9UwF_SWKuidLzXlQZOY2Je2cZwxl9x2banuKktl3pbQ7CoQiaMViQontJ8D91Nr8MZ5FVlZbkQNnIBM_T36mtE70cUPqTaZk8g-abCu4mAZyDqLvScfbNV_qgdWbkn_ZaVoOiHlmrA-Koa6kqyJ0MVOcoObEeX8IvNOFn1lcL8hj2X6TgcqvHq307Hal1Ro0E0IeAIi8uv9yEcL7wj5t9j4BLHcortY0khmofeMLP4VKw4p9THAh0iJgS_PfJP9Thz_kXnYh1wRiiZb6Ugu0EoAVafMKf_eyP_d8HkaL3IpAW7c9XX-2BSWFsni6Sgg9ewRCKDst6qRvKsbWvg3rG4-NRK8W_m052zEUu57PvCO_2Hlq5AS-7-mYC0x1SyIbPweYaVFEfIQEyuxQsXRv_7Aug9oH7S3LhbarOu2RvJJd7UWwFDZcIMclSaBherzGW3A0rsMrsHVtGQlAd11IpfhWR06J94byLXH-3EIrsSsByIsrYv8qqwIDMmta3occUgdHmMUcFMfusBENNFaCa9PTZ0FmZAVWhA6BoK2KzNqdmvQg=w467-h1036-no

I've never actually done this (I always used the thumb pressure method), but I was leafing through the alternator section yesterday and came across this (again; I've been ignoring it for years):
1680289808722.png

So I figured, why not, I mean it's not like I have all the tools I need, right?
Does anyone actually think their belt tension is worth this (from Amazon, no less)?

1680289458421.png

or even this?
1680289885589.png

I've never actually done this (I always used the thumb pressure method), but I was leafing through the alternator section yesterday and came across this (again; I've been ignoring it for years):
View attachment 3287324
So I figured, why not, I mean it's not like I have all the tools I need, right?
Does anyone actually think their belt tension is worth this (from Amazon, no less)?

View attachment 3287317
or even this?
View attachment 3287325
I use the Gates Krickit gauge. It costs less than $20.

I saw those. Something like a pocket 6-inch scale?
1680293286228.png

I meant to do that ;)

This could go in the tool or garden thread but decided to post it here…

A couple months back I purchased a Chinese copy top handle chainsaw (redmax g2500), no real reason other than YouTube enablements! I narrowed it down to either the Neo-tec 2500 or the Jon Cutter G2500 and decided on the Neo-tec…figured it would be bad juju with my name being Jon and purchasing a saw called Jon Cutter, lol!

Amazon product ASIN B0B8YQK8LQ
Saw arrived and was easy enough to setup. Started easy and first cuts were decent. Left the saw in my shed and a couple weeks later I noticed the entire bar oil reservoir had leaked out. Sent customer service an email and they responded super quick, sending an entire new saw to me. Told me to keep the other one for parts…not sure if that’s reassuring of their quality.

Fast forward to last weekend, I took the saw with us to our mountain cabin as we had a number of dead trees that had fallen and needed cleaning up (also took my stihl ms250). This little saw ripped through wood almost as well as the stihl. Aside from the chain it came with being crap I was super impressed with its torque. And to top it off the bar oil reservoir didn’t leak a bit!

Decided to leave my ms250 at the cabin and bought new Oregon bars/chains for these two neo-tecs - one 12” and one 16”. Only current gripe is they take 25:1 mix which doesn't have a lot of engineered fuel options like 50:1 does.

033E48DC-0D36-4F45-B1D8-18585103CDB8.jpeg
E07F3E7C-C990-48A6-AB93-CFD82C60F8A0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom