Transfer case problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well… I’m pretty sure I screwed up. I have a 85 fj60, 350 swap just completed. Transmission and transfer was just rebuilt but not by me. Installed then transfer case to find I’m stuck in 4 wheel. Thought maybe I screwed up putting the linkage back together so I decided to take the linkage apart and a part disappeared into my transfer case. I will like the diagram of the part that is now lost into my transfer case. And ideas to retrieve this part without opening up the transfer case??? It is the part that says lever.

IMG_0597.jpeg

IMG_0598.jpeg

Man i hate to be the one to say it but that thing is probably sitting right down under your output gears on the bottom of the case. Even if you tried getting it with a super strong magnet theres no way you could align the top of the rod into the hole. Case rear half has got to come off :/. Do not drive the truck until you get that thing out.

Man i hate to be the one to say it but that thing is probably sitting right down under your output gears on the bottom of the case. Even if you tried getting it with a super strong magnet theres no way you could align the top of the rod into the hole. Case rear half has got to come off :/. Do not drive the truck until you get that thing out.
Ugh yeah that’s what I was afraid of.

Did it fall flush with the case? Maybe you can get a magnet to pull it up?

If it fell all the way, you will have to take the rear case half off
It slowly slide in. By the time I grabbed pliers it was flush, by the time I grabbed my magnet it was gone.

Yep. Case needs to come off. Get new stake nuts and a gasket from @orangefj45 and be done.

I made this and other mistakes when doing my first split case, he saved me.

Last edited:
Yep. Case needs to come off. Get new stake nuts and a gasket from @orangefj45 and be done.

I made this and other mistakes when doing my first split case, he saved me.
Sweet thanks. I’m know nothing about transfer cases. Hoping this will be straight forward and self explanatory.

It's not hard. Get a copy of the FSM from cruisercult, read up and take your time.

Also, watch this a few times.

Strange man, I Remember doing the same thing. However I don’t remember mine falling all the way down.

I would remove the PTO cover plate and look inside, you may be able to make a rod to push/pry the lever back up if it didn't fall all the way inside.
drain the oil first

You can try to fish it back out with a magnet but it’s not easy …… I’ve done it.
If that doesn’t work, then you can try to access it thru the PTO cover plate which isn’t easy either.
If neither of those work, then he will have to remove the rear case, half as Alex mentioned above. We can certainly help with parts.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers
Shop 209-475-8808
Sales@valleyhybrids.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom