‘89 FJ62 Idle issue after transfer case rebuild (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is the transfer case shifting correctly?
Are the vacuum lines switched at the transfer case?
(I have no idea if this would mess with idle.)

Just to make sure of good vaccum to transfer case, I would trace the vacuum lines from the Transfer case to the passenger side firewall.
My 89 has 2 lines for the transfer hi/lo shift, and it transitions from steel line to rubber vacuum hose in a few places.
When my transfer case was acting up, I did this and found big-ol rust holes in the steel vacuum lines, and this was causing the transfer case shifting issues.

It could be you are pulling in air from these at idle, and it’s messing with you.

Again, I mention this just to rule it out. I’m not certain this is your issue.

Is the transfer case shifting correctly?
Are the vacuum lines switched at the transfer case?
(I have no idea if this would mess with idle.)

Just to make sure of good vaccum to transfer case, I would trace the vacuum lines from the Transfer case to the passenger side firewall.
My 89 has 2 lines for the transfer hi/lo shift, and it transitions from steel line to rubber vacuum hose in a few places.
When my transfer case was acting up, I did this and found big-ol rust holes in the steel vacuum lines, and this was causing the transfer case shifting issues.

It could be you are pulling in air from these at idle, and it’s messing with you.

Again, I mention this just to rule it out. I’m not certain this is your issue.
It's worth investigating - that's for sure. Probably a good time to knock out my new VSV's anyways so thanks for the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom