Top SECRET FJ55 build for an injured friend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is good stuff....I knew I bought into something good when I bought my cruiser and joined Mud.

Good luck with his health and your makeover...Where's Ty Pennington when you need him...:p

[PPal'd]
ty_pennington.jpg

Well this is just awesome .and i would like to offer a steering set up for a large bolt pattern knuckles.It was on my fj 60 if you can use it hit me up and i will gladly donate them to this project.I have family in law enforcement so this hits home.My number is 267 982 2177 .theres no better place than IH8MUD great bunch of guys.

Ok, the pig is going under the knife again tomorrow morning, so we should have a better idea of where we're at. I'll post pics, and get a list of parts that we could use for the steering set up and SOA. Thanks again to all that have helped, and those that have offered parts. We'll be in touch soon. You guys rock!

Very cool what you guys are doing.
Good luck with your project and best wishes for your friend.

There are many who have a hoard of FJ55 specific parts:cool:

It's true. Always happy to get pieces out of my garage to help get another Pig back on the road.

Hey folks, we got a bit done yesterday but it will take me to a while to post picks because I forgot my camera and had to use my iPhone.

We trimmed the quarters and started removing the rockers. The rust was far far worse then we thought but that is ok since this is going to be a street worthy rock crawler.

We started joking about Stevan wanting a 100 point restoration on his pig after we started cutting.

We are finalizing a design on a seat frame and have begun the design phase for some simple and effective bumpers.

As an Army spouse, It is with the utmost sincerity when I say "GREAT JOB!" in helping those that serve.

and started removing the rockers. The rust was far far worse then we thought but that is ok since this is going to be a street worthy rock crawler.

So, what are you planning for replacement rockers?
(only ask 'cause I have a set of IPOR rocker replacements here...)

So, what are you planning for replacement rockers?
(only ask 'cause I have a set of IPOR rocker replacements here...)

We were going to use some square tube and tie it into the frame with bushings.

what do the IPOR rockers look like?

Also, we are having trouble locating fittings for the steering box (FJ60 box) if anyone has a good lead on these it would be much appreciated.

I understand they are 17x1.50 and 16x1.50

Dan

We were going to use some square tube and tie it into the frame with bushings.

what do the IPOR rockers look like?

Also, we are having trouble locating fittings for the steering box (FJ60 box) if anyone has a good lead on these it would be much appreciated.

I understand they are 17x1.50 and 16x1.50

Dan

I used bits from the PS lines from the Hilux-surf half-cut to make PS lines for the 60 series PS swap on the 40. I'm 99% sure that the lines from an 89-95 mini truck or 4-runner would work. Easy enough to find those bits in the junkyard, and then make some custom PS lines with those ends.

Dan

With the places we intend to make Stevan drag this pig, you bet we need as much strength as we can get.

Update: Sorry about the delay, been busy with work and the holidays. Here's a few pics of what we've been up to. the project is coming along very well. The seat frame is done, just need to grind off a few sharp edges and some booger welds. Then a good can of black BBQ paint and she's ready. Still held up on the fittings for the steering gear?? Decided to install a Hydro-Boost while we're there, so we're excited to get that put in. Started cutting out the rear quarters, and rockers, however I was leaning against the body while working on the seat frame, and a large piece of the rocker just fell out (much easier than cutting). the red Dwarf has been raped of all parts needed. Unfortuneately her body was old and full of spray-foam. If anyone has a lead on some good front fenders, please let me know. Or if anyone is interested in the Dwarf herself? I'll keep updating as we make more progress. Thanks for all your help, it's much appreciated! Looks like pics might be a while unitl I can figure out how to resize them!

Looks like pics might be a while unitl I can figure out how to resize them!

If you have Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.) it has a program included in the "Tools" folder, "Micrsoft Office Picture Manager", that has a very easy to use re-sizing function.

Extremely rare. Consider tube front fenders?

That is actually a good idea, we all have tube benders so I figure the right size would look clean. Maybe 1.5 to keep it less bulky.

That things amazing. It Gives me some ideas as to what we could do. Thanks for the info. and thanks to all for the help on image resizer. I'll have pics up tomorrow when I get back to my work computer, pics are saved on it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom