Top SECRET FJ55 build for an injured friend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We're looking to run 3" square tube rockers. Any ideas on how to attach them (body/frame). Or any ideas on trim/finish for the body just under the door?

OK, here's a few of the pics that I promised. Thanks for all the help with the resizing.

Steves cruiser 028 (Small).jpg
The seat frame!

Steves cruiser 033 (Small).jpg
Pass. side rocker rough cut!

Steves cruiser 031 (Small).jpg
the piece that fell off on the Dr. side while leaning in to work on the seat frame!
Steves cruiser 028 (Small).jpg
Steves cruiser 033 (Small).jpg
Steves cruiser 031 (Small).jpg

You can still order the steering box fittings through Toyota. They're not that expensive.

I tried ordering the lines from Toyota, but they said they were special order only, and I'm not sure if I'm missing a fitting or piece that sits inside the gear itself. I'll see if I can get some pics up, but does anyone know if there is a seperate piece that would go inside the gear to accomodate the flared fitting on the line? Inside the gear is flat, and the line has a roudned flare, almost looks like it should have and o-ring or something to seal. "If that even makes sense"!

I tried ordering the lines from Toyota, but they said they were special order only, and I'm not sure if I'm missing a fitting or piece that sits inside the gear itself. I'll see if I can get some pics up, but does anyone know if there is a seperate piece that would go inside the gear to accomodate the flared fitting on the line? Inside the gear is flat, and the line has a roudned flare, almost looks like it should have and o-ring or something to seal. "If that even makes sense"!

This is what you want. https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/440224-power-steering-box-thread-size.html

The lines are special order and EXPENSIVE.

I have the ends from a rusty set of lines here if you want them. Ends are good but the lines are rusted off a few inches back. Someone with some double flaring skills should have no issues.

Send me a PM if you want these.

OK. Here's the million dollar question? How are the lines going to seal in this gear box? check out the pics. the gear box is flat in the bottom of the hole, and the line has a buble/flare? WTF?
Steves cruiser 036 (Small) (3).jpg
Steves cruiser 039 (Small) (3).jpg

UPDATE:

So the Holidays, and the wife were pretty good to me, and allowed me to squeeze in a little garage time. Here's a few pics and the list of what has happened. Front bumper completed. Seat frame and belts 95% complete "still need seat covers". Passenger side rocker trimmed. Front axle removed and being cleaned before delivered to Cruiser Outfitters for the CNT. We still have a long ways to go, but it's nice to see something complete. Even if it's only the front bumper! Thanks again for everyones help. We couldn't make this happen without all of you!

Rick
Steves cruiser 040 (Small).jpg
Steves cruiser 067 (Small).jpg
Steves cruiser 046 (Small).jpg

YES! The infamous bubble flare fittings arrived today, and they're exactly what we need to continue with the P/S Conversion. thanks again to meat for the info.
Land Cruiser 050 (Small).JPG

UPDATE:

Here's where we're at as of last weekend. Rear axle removed, perches cut-off, ground down and ready to be mocked up for new mounts for the SOA conversion. Hydro-boost and steering gear installed, lines ordered and being built. shock towers shipped thanks to (I Tried). A little more cutting on the Dr. side rokcer panels, But MOST IMPORTANTLY- We got rid of his ghetto a$$ hood latch cable that would cause permanent damage every time you used it. I'll post some pictures of the original frayed cable with the super black-tape handle, and the amazing engineering from Cruiserboy to convert this contraption into a solid lever system. Thanks again to all that have helped. Although we still have a lot left to do, we're starting to see a little light at the end of the tunnel. If anyone has a good deal on a selectable front locker, we may be interested. Depending on our budget as we get closer to the end of this project. I Hope you guys are enjoying the build as much as we are. I would like to give a special thanks to Cruiserboy and SlowerthanU for the countless hours you've dedicated to my brother. It means the world to me, and I'm in debt to you forever!
Steves cruiser 074 (Small).jpg
Steves cruiser 071 (Small).jpg
Steves cruiser 077 (Small).jpg

Honestly, the plasma cutter made short work of those purches, I think I was still nursing that hangover from new years.

I have the front housing in my LandCruiser, ready to deliver to Kurt.

Wow this is truly heart warming to see this. I`m a member of various other automotive forums and have been spectating this one for a while since my latest acquisistion of a pristine 1982 fj47 ute here in Oz. But, Seeing this thread made me want to join and just say: Hats off to you guys for doing this - and hope the recipient of this machine is on a swift road to recovery.
I hope I`m not too late to donate through the paypal account - I would`ve gladly come over and reworked some metal or spun a few spanners but from `accross the pond` paypal will have to suffice. I think I may have missed the link for it, can someone please PM me the paypal email address or account details please?
Its this sort of thing that shows the real substance of a forum and its users.
Keep up the good work! :clap:
kindest regards and a BIG Hello to all from a nooby.

...I have the front housing in my LandCruiser, ready to deliver to Kurt.

Bring it on :D

I just finished a couple of cut/turns and left my jig out in prep for yours :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom