Too much Rust? What is it worth? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guy in my area is selling an FJ62. He wants $6,300. I think its worth $4,500. Thoughts? I test drove it today, brakes are soft, other than that is drives well and pretty much everything operates. The rust on the back is pretty bad, per picture. However in front of the rear driveshaft there isnt much rust besides the floor pans and body panels. Thoughts? My intention would not be to restore it, just have fun with it. Thanks!
1694548370100.png
1694548381987.png
1694548414958.png
1694548403941.png

1694548534723.png

To put things in perspective, about 2 years ago I bought a similarly rusty FJ62 for $2,000 Canadian (that's like $1,300 USD).

It took me 2 years of work to replace all of the rusty sheet metal. Given the shape of the rockers, rear quarters, and frame, you can bet that there's a lot more rust that you can't see: wheel tubs, rear body mounts, floors, cross members, inner rockers, roof, etc.

If you're looking for something that you can jump in and drive, keep looking. This unit, sadly, is on its way out.

Yep. 6,300 is too much for a rusty gasser.

I wouldn't take that for free. Seriously. And I say that as a lover of 60-series.

Common, you know you would take it for free.

This was sold a few years back.... I remember seeing it at a spot in Chicago... that's where it got all of the rust I imagine. Just stay away, because once you fall in love with driving the 62, you're gonna go through this whole "I should fix it" phase and after you've spent another $5K, you'll realize it's just not a good idea because it NEVER ENDS... and then you'll try and sell it just like this dude presumably is... It's cool, but all 60/62s are cool...

I recently sold an FJ60 as a "trail rig" in better shape for $5k.

If you're reasonable with expectations, understand the safety risks, and are OK financially writing it off (maybe recouping some cost via part-out when it's too far gone), then it could be a fun runabout for a while.

Run Forest run !

Frame is gone, but may be able to get a good one from one of these guys doing 80 series frame swaps on their 60s? I agree, too much rust for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom