Tire Carrier Hinge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm thinking making my own tire carrier instead of a factory one. I have a concern that stock carrier can safely support 35" MT tire on the trail.
Therefore I was looking for a hinges. I found a few options and was wondering what people opinion on them, which one is better.

AtoZ Fabrication ($50 HD, $75 MD)
image.php
100_3755b-02.jpg

Seen some people used it and quiet happy.

Competition 4x4 ($55 SD, $85 HD)
1000-lb-tire-carrier-hinge-kit-thumnail.jpg
1000-lb-tire-carrier-hinge-kit-27.jpg

heavy-duty-1750-lb-rated-tire-carrier-hinge-kit-thumbnail.jpg
heavy-duty-1750-lb-rated-tire-carrier-hinge-kit-03.jpg

Iron Pig OffRoad ($49)
spindle_LRG.jpg

This doesn't have bearings, only brass bushings

Which one would be better option to go with?
I'm kind of lean towards the bearing option as it sounds better and easier to maintain/repair.
Comp4x4 are chromoly, which is harder to weld.

I have ran the iron pig hinge for a few years on my 60. I have one long swing out that has 33" tire/wheel, 48" high lift, 5 gallon gas and water cans and it can hold my weight (285) when fully opened. Once I installed it I haven't touched it and there is no play in it.

Bearings are easier to maintain, plus they are lubricatable.
I have 2 carriers on both my 4Runners and both have brass bushings. 1 seized last winter and I can't even open it, another is become hard to operate. The problem is that in humid climate with temperature reaching -40, bushings can get moisture inside and spindle rust, plus they have larger friction force in such condition. It's easier to grease the bearings once a month. Worst case bearings are easy to replace.
I may think in warm California or Colorado this may not be an issue, as it's much drier there.

The Iron Pig one uses oil impregnated bronze bushings.

mwalls54 said:
The Iron Pig one uses oil impregnated bronze bushings.

Does it means there are grease/oil zerks?

Does it means there are grease/oil zerks?

nope but you could drill and tap the sleve for one or just drop a few drops of oil around the top collar.

Be sure to buy the HD version. I bought the smaller spindle and had it snap off with 33s. Also be sure to preheat the spindle before welding. I think mine broke due to no preheating because it broke straight across the 1 inch spindle at the weld.

NikP said:
Be sure to buy the HD version. I bought the smaller spindle and had it snap off with 33s. Also be sure to preheat the spindle before welding. I think mine broke due to no preheating because it broke straight across the 1 inch spindle at the weld.

Are you taking about 1-1/4" spindle as HD? All those HD. Mega-Duty is 1-3/4" spindle.

I think the Iron Pig design is the simplest and easiest to repair. Oil impregnated brass bushings mean that the brass is infused with oil so it is self lubricating. Two things I would do to improve it would be drill and tap a hole for a grease fitting for the shaft and remove the set screws on the set collars one at a time and drill a dimple in the shaft to help the set screws stay in place with heavy load and uneven ground. Easy and cheap :D

I used the AZ Fab spindle when I built a swing out for a buddy's Heep. It was a nice well constructed piece.

kurtnkegger said:
I used the AZ Fab spindle when I built a swing out for a buddy's Heep. It was a nice well constructed piece.

HD or MD?

You had better read up on using a spindle especially if your only going a single swing out all that weight makes them fail at the spindle go with the ipor or 4x labs they are stronger and long enough to weld in with two attachment points. I added a grease zerk but doubt it needs it. I have a 35 tire60 inch lift and 3 gas can basket and my ipor 1 1/2 solid spindle can still hold my weight and swing easily

that IPOR thing is STOUT. its simple, and it doesn't need any attention.

We've been using the shaft and bushing design since 1995 and built over 1500 carriers with them. So far only one pin has broken. That belonged to a Hotshot fighting a forest fire in Idaho. He was driving down a road in the fire area, the smoke was so thick he stopped. The water truck behind him didn't. The firetruck
hit dead center in the middle of his spare. It snapped the pin at the carrier. He sent me the arm, I replaced the pin and everything went back together fine. His spare didn't survive
They do need periodic maintenance. Depending on your dust and humidity, every 3~5 years I pull the arm
off and wash everything out with WD40. It degreases and lubes

HD or MD?

I wish I could tell you...He bought all the parts, and steel, and I welded it all together. I could make a guess, but your guess is as good as mine...If there is a defining character between the two, I could let you know, as I assembled it.

Sorry I can't help...

We've been using the shaft and bushing design since 1995 and built over 1500 carriers with them. So far only one pin has broken. That belonged to a Hotshot fighting a forest fire in Idaho. He was driving down a road in the fire area, the smoke was so thick he stopped. The water truck behind him didn't. The firetruck
hit dead center in the middle of his spare. It snapped the pin at the carrier. He sent me the arm, I replaced the pin and everything went back together fine. His spare didn't survive
They do need periodic maintenance. Depending on your dust and humidity, every 3~5 years I pull the arm
off and wash everything out with WD40. It degreases and lubes

I sleep at night knowing this pin and bushing set will carry a rack of solar panels on a tracker in a high wind zone, I'd have no problem using one for a spare tire rack:hillbilly:
tracker 025.jpg
tracker 035.jpg
tracker 008.jpg

I used the Comp4x4 one on my single swing out tire carrier that I built for my 60. Every other one out there makes you weld on the spindle to attach it and the Comp4x4 one uses a sleeve that you weld to your bumper and then slide the spindle down into. Most spindle carriers fail at the spindle where it was welded into the bumper. I did a bunch of research on this on Pirate and other sites and no one could show me a Comp4x4 spindle that had failed. I bought the 1750 pound heavy duty model that they make and was very impressed with the quality and I love the fact that it doesn't move hardly at all when going down washboard roads with my 35" tire on it. Their customer service was great and I would highly recommend this spindle given my experience.

By the way, I believe that only the spindle is cromoly on the Comp4x4 and you don't weld on it. You only weld on the outer sleeve and the upper housing and they both appeared to be mild steel housings and were easy to weld. Although, I did tack weld my spindle on the bottom to hold it in place, but you don't have to per their instructions.

Don

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom