Time for feedback on next gen cup holder (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I also see no need for the rear pocket. Just another difficult to clean place place to collect dust, spilled soda, change, etc. I vote to delete that. The rest is excellent.

Yes, but it's right up against the lid. I just can't move the cup hole any further foward. The plastic insert is right up against the bottom of the front edge of the hole and it's only .1" wall thickness right there. I will get some pics of the 44oz. cup installed in the next few days.
Okay, thanks man. What if you elevate the insert a little bit? That would make the lid higher than the cushion edge and allow you to push forward a little bit. Even a 1/4" would do a whole lot. All just suggestions.

I also see no need for the rear pocket. Just another difficult to clean place place to collect dust, spilled soda, change, etc. I vote to delete that. The rest is excellent.
I don't think the insert in the back will be too bad to clean since the entire insert is removeable. You can just lift it out, rinse it off and stick it back in there. This CAN be screwed into place using the factory screw in the bottom and some 3M adhesive but I just don't see any reason why you would want to do that. It is VERY secure with zero hardware and adhesive. My design has about a 1/2 degree wider taper so that as you push it into place it wedges itself in. It becomes nice and snug right as it hits bottom. It's not going anywhere.

Okay, thanks man. What if you elevate the insert a little bit? That would make the lid higher than the cushion edge and allow you to push forward a little bit. Even a 1/4" would do a whole lot. All just suggestions.
Not a bad idea. Let me get some pics of the 44oz. drink installed and if it looks too tight then we can look into moving the insert up and foward.

Looks awesome I want one. There's plenty of other spots in the truck for a phone and such, so keep it simple. If it could hold a tall boy too that would be sweet

I think it's well done as is and I'd like to have one myself.

Trying to think of uses for the other three holes as I keep a pen in the glove box and have my phone mounted above the little Hi-Lo gear shift lever, but I'm sure I'll come up with something.

I'm interested. Will be watching. I like as is.

So I spent the last two days taking all suggestions into consideration. There was the idea of tilting the pen holders forward to allow better access of the cup, so I did that. I tilted them forward about 15 degrees. I also pushed the cup insert forward as far as I possibly could which was only another 1/8". I also added a cell phone slot up front. Which was the main reason I couldn't get the cup hole any further forward After all changes were made I printed up a prototype. You will see in the pics there are two versions of my final prototype. My Samsung S5 DID fit in the first slot I made BUT only if I removed the bulky cover. I like my bulky cover and didn't like the fact that I had to remove it in order to fit the phone. I then opened up the slot on one end which gave me almost another 1/4" of width. That gave me plenty of space to fit my S5 and possibly something even larger. I don't have the newer larger I-phone to check for fitment. I can guarantee that all phones won't fit in this slot but most will. Here are some pics of the design. I will be going with this design WITH the slot that goes all the way to the edge to allow for larger phones. I now have a pile of prototypes that will be going up for sale soon. They will be in the $15-20 range each. The final design will be up on my website some time this week and will be in the $30-$35 range. I need to sit down and add up all the numbers to get an exact cost on where i need to be. I also changed the "80" to fit into the curves a little better. I'm quite pleased with the changes and added function. Feel free to keep the suggestions coming. I was also asked to show a 44oz. cup in the cup holder. It does fit and clears the lid but it's literally right up against the lid with zero space. The interference issue I didn't account for was the sides of the factory square hole. It hits the sides of the fat part of the cup. It does fit down in the cup holder but with zero room on any side.

Last edited:
Here's a few more pics of phone fitment. You can seem my S5 WITH case does not fit in my original design but does fit really well in the latest version.

Awesome.

You people are funny

:popcorn:

Works for me! I'd probably buy one of your prototypes.

What's width of your phone with case? I have iPhone 6 plus with a case and wondered if it would fit. Thanks
the width of my phone is 3 1/16th". there is a little bit of wiggle room left to right but nit much. You might be able to squeeze a phone up to 3 1/8" inch wide. That would be the max width and a snug fit. please post up what the width of your phone is so others will know if their iPhone 6 plus will fit or not.

Last edited:
so those of you that want a prototype for $20 including shipping then send me a pm/start a conversation. First come first serve. I have two that have the cell phone slot and two that do not. the ones that do not are pictured at the beginning of this thread. I can paint them to order in the factory colors if desired. The rest I gave away to local mud members who are friends of mine.I will have a batch of the latest design up on my website in the next couple days. I just took five of my machines to print these for a couple days straight. I won't have a big batch but at least I'll have a batch to get the first wave of them out there.

I have no responded to all of the PM's I received during the night about the prototypes. Once I get payment I will let you guys know if there are any left. Those of you who didn't get a prototype I should have a good size batch of the final design up on my side by Wednesday.

So I went ahead and just put all 10 printers on this project for 24 hours. That gave me a nice big batch of these. They are all the latest version with the cell phone slot up front that is open on one end to allow for the largest phone possible. A 3 1/16" wide phone will fit nicely with a tiny bit a wiggle room left. I put 1/2 of the batch on my esty page www.etsy.com/shop/bh3dprinting and 1/2 on my website at www.bh3dprinting.com
I have no idea if these will sell crazy fast or none at all. If you see "out of stock" on either site then I tend to restock every 2-3 days so just be patient. I'm not moving on to the next project. One more off the list.

Edit: I forgot to ad, I do have a few of the prototypes left for a reduced price. If you want one then send me a PM/start a conversation with me and we can figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom