Time for feedback on next gen cup holder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bhicks

Supporting Vendor
Threads
So I have had a lot of requests over the last year for a cup holder for that square hole at the front of the center console. I had some big ideas for it but ran into space issues. I had to start cutting back on some of the ideas to make it functional within the small space. I had thought about a storage tray sticking up on the front but that caused the print to be significantly more complicated with almost zero flat surfaces to print on and a TON of printing supports. It became a very long print and a difficult one to prep for paint. I decided in order to keep the cost reasonable I had to get rid of the storage tray. I then focused on the cup holder function and realized I had some awkward spaces left over. The cup can't go any further back due to the lid of the console and it can't go any further forward due to the front edge slopping inward toward the bottom. That left me a spot in the back for a small storage slot. not super functional but there are some things it does hold. In the front I had a wedge shape that couldn't really hold anything so I tossed a couple pens holders in there to fill the dead space. If you guys see any ways to make this more functional them I'm all ears. It does hold cans, water bottles, large and small fast food cups really well. It doesn't hold the popular Nalgene bottles. The square holde it just too narrow to hold the large sport bottles and there is nothing I can do about that. The color options will be the gray and Oak/tan colors. I went with the yellow for prototyping since it's really bright and the features will show up well in the photos. don't have cost worked out yet since I'm not fully done with the design. I'm at the point where I would like some feedback before I wrap up this design. Maybe you guys see something that I don't.

[URL=http://s511.photobucket.com/user/brhicks/media/20150522_120255_resized_zps2qjjevp4.jpg.html][IMG]
[URL=http://s511.photobucket.com/user/brhicks/media/20150522_120304_resized_zpstxzdcbr3.jpg.html][IMG]http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s356/brhicks/20150522_120304_resized_zpstxzdcbr3.jpg

Nice.

Digging it. Thinking about colour matched plastics?
I already have a color match for the tan oak color. You can see my other cup holders matched to the factory color at www.bh3dprinting.com. The gray can be a tad more difficult. It seems to fade a bit over the years. I have a couple grays that are REALLY close depending on how faded the plastic is. The Oak color for some reason does not fade at all so it's a lot easier to match.

looks good as it is, I would take one to go with my other couple from you! :)
Thanks for the comment. I will run this thread through the weekend to see if I get some quality suggestions. If everyone is happy with the current design then I will make a good size batch as is and get them up on my site by the end of next week.

Can you maintain the support like it is, but then raise the current hole and add a second hole in front of the first in order to make this a DUAL setup? The front cup would be considerably higher than the first, and quite a bit forward. Will it interfere with the shifters?

Even if we had to bolt it to the bottom to hold it in.....

Otherwise, make it come up and split into a "WYE" so you could have two cups side by side......

Maybe you've already tried this.....

Very cool

Looks great. Any way to put the phone holder in the front? I know you'd lose the pen/pencil holes but it would be difficult to access one's phone if you had a cup in the holder.

Can you maintain the support like it is, but then raise the current hole and add a second hole in front of the first in order to make this a DUAL setup? The front cup would be considerably higher than the first, and quite a bit forward. Will it interfere with the shifters?

Otherwise, make it come up and split into a "WYE" so you could have two cups side by side......

I looked at trying to fit two cups into this area but there is just no way to make it happen. Not enough space no matter how I went about it. I also required me to have multiple levels across the bottom making the print extremely difficult to create and extremely long. I would have a ton of supports with a ton of prep work to get it ready for paint. That greatly increases the price. I'm trying to make this functional and in the $30-35 range. Any features that get me way outside of that I had to give up on. I also realized I was struggling to make a dual set up when I already make 4 different dual set ups for the 80 series. I was fighting against myself which just made no sense. If someone REALLY wants dual cup holders then I have them covered. No reason to force that into this part of the console.

I just had the same thought leaving work. Day late and a dollar short, again

Looks great. Any way to put the phone holder in the front? I know you'd lose the pen/pencil holes but it would be difficult to access one's phone if you had a cup in the holder.

I wouldn't call that slot in the back a phone holder. My Samsung S5 couldn't come close to fitting in that. I can't put it in the front because it's angled back at that spot. I go down about 1" and I'm running into the console. The phone would literally sit into the cup holder about 1" max. AND that would only be if it was a smaller cell phone. An S4 without thick case could fit in there and all of the old I-phones but most companies are moving towards larger phones which just don't fit in that awkward square hold. I can play with the design a bit and see if I can make something that would work in the front for smaller phones.

Don't get me wrong...either way I'm a fan, but I was thinking that a raised sideXside "T" or "WYE" pattern (as Bilt suggested) should be possible given the space and ability to bolt to the bottom. Also, having a phone slot in the front at around a 45 degree angle so that it could be a functional GPS monitor would be soooo sweet! If it's possible for a side by side double, the coin slots can even used as support for the sides of the cup holder...just a thought.

Don't get me wrong...either way I'm a fan, but I was thinking that a raised sideXside "T" or "WYE" pattern (as Bilt suggested) should be possible given the space and ability to bolt to the bottom. Also, having a phone slot in the front at around a 45 degree angle so that it could be a functional GPS monitor would be soooo sweet! If it's possible for a side by side double, the coin slots can even used as support for the sides of the cup holder...just a thought.
You guys are only thinking about space available. I have to consider what can be done with a 3D printer and what can be done and keep it affordable. Those ideas are good, but when you consider the complexity of the print, the amount of support and material needed, the length of the print, and the amount of time needed to prep the print, my cost gets into the $100 range. that's just insane. I would never pay that much for what I would be offering. I have to keep it in a respectable price range or nobody will buy it. the phone mount is something I might be able to mount up on top and still keep the price and print time down. I will work on that this weekend and show you guys what I have early next week.

I understand! I was asking, and obviously, you have already approached this and it is outside the "normally accepted limits" for the process. I'm OK with that.

Maybe we can come up with something that places the cup within 5" of our face so we don't even have to move the cup to take a drink.... Then when the airbag goes off, it blasts the cup imprint into our noggin!

Maybe hang it from the TOP!!!! Now I'm thinkin' outside the cup holder!

I'd buy it as-is. Maybe even delete the rear pocket because it will be tough to use.

So I have had a lot of requests over the last year for a cup holder for that square hole at the front of the center console. I had some big ideas for it but ran into space issues. I had to start cutting back on some of the ideas to make it functional within the small space. I had thought about a storage tray sticking up on the front but that caused the print to be significantly more complicated with almost zero flat surfaces to print on and a TON of printing supports. It became a very long print and a difficult one to prep for paint. I decided in order to keep the cost reasonable I had to get rid of the storage tray. I then focused on the cup holder function and realized I had some awkward spaces left over. The cup can't go any further back due to the lid of the console and it can't go any further forward due to the front edge slopping inward toward the bottom. That left me a spot in the back for a small storage slot. not super functional but there are some things it does hold. In the front I had a wedge shape that couldn't really hold anything so I tossed a couple pens holders in there to fill the dead space. If you guys see any ways to make this more functional them I'm all ears. It does hold cans, water bottles, large and small fast food cups really well. It doesn't hold the popular Nalgene bottles. The square holde it just too narrow to hold the large sport bottles and there is nothing I can do about that. The color options will be the gray and Oak/tan colors. I went with the yellow for prototyping since it's really bright and the features will show up well in the photos. don't have cost worked out yet since I'm not fully done with the design. I'm at the point where I would like some feedback before I wrap up this design. Maybe you guys see something that I don't.

[URL=http://s511.photobucket.com/user/brhicks/media/20150522_120255_resized_zps2qjjevp4.jpg.html][/URL]
[URL='http://s511.photobucket.com/user/brhicks/media/20150522_120255_resized_zps2qjjevp4.jpg.html'][URL=http://s511.photobucket.com/user/brhicks/media/20150522_120304_resized_zpstxzdcbr3.jpg.html][IMG]http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s356/brhicks/20150522_120304_resized_zpstxzdcbr3.jpg[/URL]
[URL='http://s511.photobucket.com/user/brhicks/media/20150522_120255_resized_zps2qjjevp4.jpg.html'][IMG]http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s356/brhicks/20150522_120304_resized_zpstxzdcbr3.jpg

[/URL]

I like but to be honest id prefer a glock holder there.......G17......Hint

Can you fit a 44oz cup with the lid closed?

Can you fit a 44oz cup with the lid closed?
Yes, but it's right up against the lid. I just can't move the cup hole any further foward. The plastic insert is right up against the bottom of the front edge of the hole and it's only .1" wall thickness right there. I will get some pics of the 44oz. cup installed in the next few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom