Time for feedback on next gen cup holder (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What paint do you use for grey?
I have used 4 different paints. The problem with gray is that it fades. A perfect match on one 80 might be a horrible clash on another. at first I used the exact factory match which was a paint I had made custom. The part I used was the rear seat belt bolt cover which never sees sun light. It was very close to the original factory color. I made a large batch of cup holders with that paint and guys complained that it clashed. After seeing some pics I realized the top of the console had faded quite a bit into a lighter bluish gray. I then went with a lighter color that matched much better to the faded plastic on top of the console BUT then was too light for the rear double cup holder which hangs off the back of the console and tends to be a shade or two darker back there. Finally I found a paint that was right in the middle of the original factory color and the faded color. It's pretty close to both ends of the spectrum. Most color complaints have gone since I switched to the new color. As luck would have it, it's a color that is right next to the bronze color at home depot. I use the Rustoluem "texture dark pewter". It's not a perfect match but close.

For those that don't want to go back a page. Here is the latest version with a slot to allow for huge cell phones, fat wallets, or cups with a handle.

Any takers on posting a few pics of the latest insert installed and in use? I have now shipped out 20 of the latest version and all should have been delivered except maybe the last couple. Would really like to update my website with new pics. The console sitting on my kitchen floor is a tad lame for my website.

For those that don't want to go back a page. Here is the latest version with a slot to allow for huge cell phones, fat wallets, or cups with a handle.
Your current design looks nice, and you may not be interested in any further redesign. In case you are open, here's a suggestion that just occurred to me:

I see there is no plastic on the passenger side of the front slot. Why not also delete the plastic on the driver side and front? Keep the bottom ledge of plastic to keep the cup holder positioned. It would allow a slightly wider thicker case on a phone. It would also make the insert that much more symmetrical. If that works, you could also delete the side and back plastic from the back of your insert; again just keeping the bottom to maintain the position of the insert.

Your current design looks nice, and you may not be interested in any further redesign. In case you are open, here's a suggestion that just occurred to me:

I see there is no plastic on the passenger side of the front slot. Why not also delete the plastic on the driver side and front? Keep the bottom ledge of plastic to keep the cup holder positioned. It would allow a slightly wider thicker case on a phone. It would also make the insert that much more symmetrical. If that works, you could also delete the side and back plastic from the back of your insert; again just keeping the bottom to maintain the position of the insert.
I actually made one without that front piece but it wouldn't wedge down into the hole like I wanted. I was wanting the design to snap down into the hole and be snug with zero adhesive. With nothing up high wedging it in; it just would not seat properly. If you have a huge phone you can always store it in the cup holder slot since that is very deep. I may look into your idea further when orders slow down and I have time to kill. Right now I'm getting killed with orders for the new aluminum TEQ badges and my new 4Runner cup holder line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom