Swip-Swap... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks, mang...

So, I have this stupid Hurst Pro-Matic 2 slap shifter on my transmission.

It sucks.

Need to sell it to someone with an Impala and buy myself a Lokar or Art Carr.

Problem is, I don't think I can get a Lokar on without dropping the tranny so, it will probably have to be a cable shifter like the Hurst.

Any ideas here?

You have good taste. Have you noticed the fugliness of the door mirror yet? I believe the OEM windshield-mount mirror is still available.

That Lokar is the same one Chicago has maybe?

attachment.php

Last edited:
What's fugly about door mirrors?

I was wondering the same thing :confused:

I mean, I have windshield-mounted mirrors so I can take the doors out, but if you don't do that :meh:

granted, the one in the pic is not the appropriate year mirror for the truck

It is a '73 in soul only.

Newer doors, aluminum tub, chevy drive train.

I am not going for stock here...just FYI.

Those doors are coming off for summer and I will have to figure out another mirror option anyway.

I have the windshield mounting bracket-and-arm dealio and then the quasi rectangular Jeep mirrors for $20 each

I had door mirrors on my '74 and the doors have not been on in years. I don't miss the mirrors. You don't really need them with no top. Just turn your head.

Skillet, what's wrong with the hurst shifter?

I had door mirrors on my '74 and the doors have not been on in years. I don't miss the mirrors. You don't really need them with no top. Just turn your head.

Skillet, what's wrong with the hurst shifter?

Cali requires at least 2 mirrors on the road.

The Hurst just seems hokey...

Kinda concerns me that we will be cruising down the highway and someone can accidentally bump it down. Perhaps I am overthinking it.

Maybe just get a new boot for it to replace the cheesy plastic chrome box that came with it and call it good for now.
shifter cheese.jpg

One side + rear view = 2 mirrors, right?

I believe these are original to some year.

Marvin57mirrors.jpg

Does that shifter not have any lock outs at all? That's what I had in my '47 ford. I bumped it into reverse once, but otherwise not. I liked it pretty well. A boot would clean it up nice and you can replace it later if it sucks.
Marvin57mirrors.jpg

Last edited:
What's the config of your cowl vent? Original door with a gasket and bolted shut or all welded smooth?

Mine has a vent hole at the cowl, but it is otherwise inop. It's a bucket in the cowl. Toyota's solution until the retooled the cowl was to have two tubes that pass into the cab and down through the trans tunnel through some grommets. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
One side + rear view = 2 mirrors, right?

Yep

Cali law calls for a D/S and center only, unless center is obstructed, then a P/S is required

What's the config of your cowl vent? Original door with a gasket and bolted shut or all welded smooth?

Mine has a vent hole at the cowl, but it is otherwise inop. It's a bucket in the cowl. Toyota's solution until the retooled the cowl was to have two tubes that pass into the cab and down through the trans tunnel through some grommets. :rolleyes:

what the hell are you talking about?

Does that shifter not have any lock outs at all? That's what I had in my '47 ford. I bumped it into reverse once, but otherwise not. I liked it pretty well. A boot would clean it up nice and you can replace it later if it sucks.

I believe these are original to some year.

View attachment 592884

you cannot get it into reverse without lifting up on the shift lever. I am not concerned about that.

it is downshifting while going 65 that concerns me, as there is no lockout for downshifting...hence the "slap shift" designation.

Skillet said:
Sure...

I'll PM you my bank account number and when you make the deposit, I will run right out and purchase one.

:flipoff2:

I like how you haven't lost that "chat" sense of humor.

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom