stupid FJ45 door pins question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

40Flipper

Master of Nothing
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.rinnadvisors.com
My 1966 FJ45lv has very loose hinges. I know I need new door pins and that will probably do the trick.

Will the regular standard door pins fit correctly? Are they the same gauge or thickness for a 1966 as say a 1980 FJ40?

Thanks!

are the hinges themselves loose? or is it the door striker? if it is the hinge itelf. I suppose you could grind off the heads and tap them out and try and fit a tighter pin in there. I am pretty sure the fj40 pins will be a wider diameter. you should be able to remove any sloop in the hinge by adjusting the the hinge mounting bolts.
what do you have for weather stripping? so new stuff from JC Whitney, and new strickers, would probable cure most of the rattles.
jason

I bought a set of strikers from Foxfab. You can lift the door a bit so it's the pins that are worn. Hinges themselves are fine.

Could I use the newer pins or do I need to find a different type?

the door pins are larger than 40 series front doors (if I remember right, the tailgate hinges are same as 40 dimensionally). Several have found or made bushings in the past, I'd ask on the 45 board.

rick
ex master of all things wagon

Where can I get bushings from? Do I need to have them made?

Treeroot: where can I find that post?? Thanks!

MINI-Mule: I've e-mailed the bushings guy and looks promising. Need to measure the parts for a custom set. Don't know the price yet.

I spoke to the guy who Mini-Mule mentioned who makes brass bushings. I sent the specs from the thread that IDAVE had sent above. He cut me a free set last night to test on one door. If it works he'll make sets for everyone. NICE!

I had sent him the e-mail with the specs for the 45 bushings and he had a set done in a couple hours. I e-mailed him at 5pm and there was a message saying they were done at 9pm. This guy is my new best friend.

Go Pat's!!!

It sounds like you're on the right path. Craig (the machinist) is a good guy, the owner of 2 FJ40's and is a cruiser enthusiast. You will not only get your parts quickly, but he will remake them for you if your application is dimensionally challenged.

Craig told me last week that he also wants to produce brass hinge bushings for the late model rear tire carriers. He has ordered a set of OEM nylon bushings to reproduce, but will need a few people to test out the fit of his new product, when available.

Post up if you have a 1/75 to 8/76 tire carrier or one for 8/76 to 5/80, and would like to help test fit the early prototypes. Only a couple of volunteers are needed, with specific carrier model information and feedback on the fit of the new bushings. Be aware, it can be very difficult to get the original hinges apart for bushing replacement.

I will make Craig aware of this thread and he can work directly with those interested.

Cheers
Rick

bushings

My spare bolts inside the rear inside of the truck with a nut and blot mounting.

Bushings should be here soon but I won't be able to try them for about 2 weeks. Too busy with work.

I sent Craig a hinge from the tire carrier on my 5/75 FJ-40 so he can fab bushings. I'll let you know how they turn out. I am ready to get rid of that rattle.
Peter

I have a couple of sets from craig to test for the later model tire carrier. Plan to do so today or tomorrow. Right now I am wrestling with getting the carrier off the 40. Seems I will take it to a machine shop and try to have them pop out the pins...apparently, a known problem. It will be well worth it for anyone I think. And though I have only been in touch with Craig through email I want to say here that this is an excellent person...hope everyone will buy, buy, buy from Craig. His door bushings are great.

And just a little update...pulling your spare tire carrier off and removing the pins will surely make you want to replace those bushings with Brass bushings...the idea of doing this too often because of plastic bushings is a conversion of biblical proportions. Someone here on the list mentioned taking thier carrier to a machine shop and having the pins pressed out...WELL WORTH IT!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom