Sourcing a 60 full float or 80 series full float axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 80 calipers are the only option. I posted in the 80 section and got flamed, something about the way Toyota designed it being end all or something. I intend on finding a 2 piston caliper once I make sure I'm actually getting pressure to the rears (I'm not sure that I am right now)

The 80 rear calipers are 1-piston. I want to find a 2-piston. I have a funny feeling FJ40 front calipers might work back there.

Also note that the e-brake is separate from the calipers, it is drum-brake style inside the rotor with mini brake shoes.
2 piston calipers? Why? Those are 1 ton truck sized brakes. Rear calipers really don't need to be that beefy man.

I ran a set of chevy brakes on my rear for a bit until I was sick of not having an ebrake. So I'm used to the braking power.

Upgrade is probably not the word I was going for. Looking for a common vehicle I can steal calipers off of at the junk yard like a 3rd gen 4runner etc.
Most junk yards sell their calipers to reman caliper places which rebuild them and then sell them to parts stores like napa and advance. So its pretty hard to find em at junk yards.

I'm guessing because you will never use the capacity afforded by such large brakes in the rear. You will either be constantly locking up the rear tires and skidding which is awesome, though not ideal for braking safety. Or you will have to dial your proportioning valve back so far that the rear brakes aren't doing much anyway and then whats the point of having the huge brakes in the first place?

FZJ80 axle has rear disk with integrated shoes for a parking brake. The cables leave the ends of the axles and attach just like your oem ebrake.

More info on the e-brake cable set up please.
What year is your axle?

I'm guessing factory 80 series e-brake cable and factory e-brake on whatever year fzj80 axle he has - they're all the same as long as they have discs.

If you do the 80 axle in the rear, you can do the (mini truck?) hubs with Tundra brakes and have better brakes and matching width.
I know I'm bringing up an old thread, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me a little more info on this swap. If I'm understanding correctly, it looks like @FJ60Cam saying it is possible to take a full floating 80 series rear axle with front hubs from an early 80s Toyota pickup and brakes from a Tundra to make a full float 80 rear axle that is the same width as the 60 series stock front axle. I've been searching and can't find anything else about anyone doing this. I'm sure my searching is lacking, but I have spent about 30 minutes and haven't been able to find anymore info about this conversion.

I know I'm bringing up an old thread, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me a little more info on this swap. If I'm understanding correctly, it looks like @FJ60Cam saying it is possible to take a full floating 80 series rear axle with front hubs from an early 80s Toyota pickup and brakes from a Tundra to make a full float 80 rear axle that is the same width as the 60 series stock front axle. I've been searching and can't find anything else about anyone doing this. I'm sure my searching is lacking, but I have spent about 30 minutes and haven't been able to find anymore info about this conversion.
pretty sure @TRAIL TAILOR has done this many times!

60 series axle housing and you use Mini truck/ 4Runner hubs that get milled down to accept a slip on tundra rotor. This front axle width matches closely to the 80 rear axle after the change in width due to the different hubs.

Maybe this will help.

60 series axle housing and you use Mini truck/ 4Runner hubs that get milled down to accept a slip on tundra rotor. This front axle width matches closely to the 80 rear axle after the change in width due to the different hubs.

Maybe this will help.

This thread also 80 series rear axle with front axle Tundra brake mod - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/80-series-rear-axle-with-front-axle-tundra-brake-mod.1170432/

It’s two different mods.

Stock 60 front can be upgraded with “the tundra mod” which makes it wider.

You can also do the 80 rear axle swap which makes the rear width match the “tundra mod” front width.

If you do one or the other you’ll have different width axles unless you use spacers on the unmodified axle.

Thanks for the clarification and the links. This is definitely a mod I'll be looking into more.

I have two stock FJ62 semi-float rear axles in Los Angeles I will sell cheap if anyone wants them. Now that I have the FZJ80 rear axle I am no need for the stock one.s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom