San Rafael Swell-- Spring break March 27 - 31 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trip report

Had a great time, thanks to all who came out, Eric and his kids, Travis and his daughter.

Day 1 was mostly a travel day to the Swell. Unfortunately the day started out badly as Paul had to cancel, literally at the last minute. Hopefully we can hook up another time soon. After the long drive, when we got to the camp we intended on using (Lone Warrior) it was taken but after a bit of searching we found a nice spot nearby. Cliffs and rocks behind us and trees in front of us.

Day 2 was exploring Swasey Cabin area, with a few ice caves where they apparently cached food. We then took a "nice" road with a few small obstacles to navigate which led us to a nice lunch spot near a tall vertical arch. We then continued to Copper Globe mine to check that out. Due to the late hour we decided to run the highway slowly back to camp on our low tire pressure.

Day 3 we explored Goblin State Park with those cool geologic features to play on and around. Travis treated everyone to Otter pops at the small visitors center. We then went to explore a slot canyon (Little Wildhorse Canyon) but when we got there we found a jammed parking lot and nobody seemed interested in cramming in that tiny space with a million other people. Luckily I had noticed a map in the visitors center and remembered another canyon was nearby. There were maybe six cars in the lot and while it was a longer hike to the canyon it was a much nicer experience.

Day 4 we had to say good bye to Travis and his great little girl, we were all sorry they couldn't stay longer. The remainder of our group went off to explore the area north of I-70. We stopped by Dutchman's arch, Head of Sinbad pictographs. We then stopped by the amazing Buck Horn Wash pictograph and petroglyph panel. Next we found another interesting geologic area called Hamburger Rocks but a group of probably 20-30 people decided to make camp there including a camp fire in the rocks. Very disappointing but we didn't let that ruin our day. We headed back checking out different routes and found the Calf Mesa uranium mine. From there it was back to camp.

Day 5 we broke camp and headed to the missile site to check out the cold war relic. Then we continued to the nearby Crystal Geyser for a lunch stop. It did not erupt but it was still an interesting stop with all the minerals. Then the long drive home.

Truly a great trip. The weather couldn't have been better. The lowest if got was freezing, the last night, otherwise I would guess 40's and highs were 60's and 70's.

Base Camp.jpg
Base camp
near lucnh spot.jpg
near lunch day 1
scenery.jpg
somewhere in the Swell

Base Camp.jpg

near lucnh spot.jpg

scenery.jpg

Last edited:
Copper Globe mine entrance.jpg
Copper Globe mine
Eric on some hill.jpg
Eric on some hill
Gobblins.jpg
Goblins

Copper Globe mine entrance.jpg

Eric on some hill.jpg

Gobblins.jpg

Dutchman's arch.jpg
Dutchman's arch
Head of Sinbad.jpg
Head of Sinbad
Calf Mesa.jpg
Calf Mesa

Calf Mesa.jpg

Dutchman's arch.jpg

Head of Sinbad.jpg

group at canyon.jpg
Group at canyon
canyon.jpg
Slot canyon
Geyser.jpg
Geyser

canyon.jpg

Geyser.jpg

group at canyon.jpg

Last edited:
Did you guys get any pics from the missile silo? I always found those really interesting.

Did you guys get any pics from the missile silo? I always found those really interesting.

We didn't spend alot of time there and didn't find any silos. Just a control building, some interesting outdoor cableways and two sites that looked like they once had a crane (lots of cable and what looked like boom or tower segments still there) and a building on railroad style tracks - probably some sort of assembly facility.

I didn't actually take any pictures there for some reason.

[STRIKE]Sure, here you go![/STRIKE]

THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN CONFISCATED BY THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY

ENFORCEMENT OF POLICY #35000HG889-01-223L

Be glad you didn't take any Eric! As the men in black suits cart Travis off.....

Thanks for posting pictures and description of the trip. Looks like you all had a great time. That goblin valley is really something to behold. Nature's artistry in Utah sometimes totally amazes me.

HAM radio -- APRS

For those interested in APRS here is what was sent from my radio during the trip. What is shown is the entire trip, or at least when I remembered to turn on the GPS. This screen shots were taken from the web site aprs.fi.

aprs all.JPG
This picture shows the overall trip.

aprs med.JPG
This shows our routes around the Swell.

aprs fine.jpg
Here is a close up of where we were camped. I was impressed that the roads to our camp are shown. The cluster of points is where our camp was.

I am experimenting with how often the unit sends a packet. Depends on speed, turns etc. Also, I was able to send an email to Luke using ARPS via the repeater network.

aprs all.JPG

aprs med.JPG

aprs fine.jpg

Man, that's cool. I'm going to have to study up on ARPS. Looks like something I'd like to get into.

Also, looks like you guys had some fun on Saturday. Next time, I'm in for the whole trip. Kira is constantly asking when we're going camping again. :)

Last edited:
I saw this or at least a partial clip. These guys were scout leaders as well...way to teach kids to disrespect natural wonders...The guy is facing possible felony charges.

I saw this or at least a partial clip. These guys were scout leaders as well...way to teach kids to disrespect natural wonders...The guy is facing possible felony charges.

The news tonight said that they were dismissed as scout leaders. Even IF (its a big if) they really thought toppling the rock was the right thing to do, their attitude was one of joy, not one of sorrow for the loss of a nautral wonder. Not the right attitude to have. Hopefully now someone will step up and be a positive role model for those scouts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom