San Rafael Swell-- Spring break March 27 - 31 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Later in the week works for us as well. Especially now that I think my 4 year old has come down with the cold my 2 year old is just recovering from. The extra time will allow her to kick the cold.

Sorry you can't make the later start date Doug. Safe travels!

So the plan is to meet up late Wednesday afternoon / Wednesday evening?

Thanks for posting that Kyle. I was looking over the NWS forecast out Green River way and the temps have been lowered there as well. I spoke with Paul and he can make it if we delay. My main motivation right now is to make sure the kids will have the best chance for fun and I believe that is if we delay.

Sorry about that Doug. Didn't you say Cheryl was wanting to back out due to the forecast?

No worries guys, I think Sheryll is relieved not to be going in the cold weather. Have a great time and take lots of pictures.

My guess on drive time is about 8 hours. Factor in stops and fumbling around looking for a camp spot maybe we should pull out about 7:00am, calculated from my house. We can go together or meet somewhere down the road. I can give gps coordinates of where I think we will be camping but don't know if the spot will be taken. Since we are going later, I was thinking we should try that Lone Worrier spot.

Oops on Sunday, wasn't on my radar as we are Orthodox and celebrate May 5. I apologize for that and hope it hasn't created any problems for anyone.

As for us, 7:00 sounds good. I guess it will be around 8 hours with all of your slow 80's holding me back. ;)

And no worries about Sunday. It's just that, for some strange reason, my kids REALLY like looking for plastic eggs filled with candy.

What are the GPS coordinates for the exit we will use off I-70? And about how far is the proposed camping area after that exit?

Exit 131
N38° 53.000', W110° 39.335'
Proposed camp spot
N38° 51.1724', W110° 48.0577'

As for travel time between the exit and camp, I would guess 45 min.

I left you a voice message the other day regarding the ammo can.

I was thinking about a couple of things.

Camp fire wood. If we each bring a bundle we should have enough for four nights.

Also remember there are no toilet facilities and this is a high use area. There is a pit toilet near the cabin area we can use. Or, the alternate is to use a wag bag system and pack out the poop from the camp area. Alternately we can explore a bit and find a different camp spot.

By the way, I got a BLM off road travel map in the mail yesterday that will be helpful. I saw that Green River was 19 this morning. Travis, I have a small propane heater that I will bring in case you want it for break the morning chill for your daughter.

I was thinking about a couple of things.

Camp fire wood. If we each bring a bundle we should have enough for four nights.

Also remember there are no toilet facilities and this is a high use area. There is a pit toilet near the cabin area we can use. Or, the alternate is to use a wag bag system and pack out the poop from the camp area. Alternately we can explore a bit and find a different camp spot.

By the way, I got a BLM off road travel map in the mail yesterday that will be helpful. I saw that Green River was 19 this morning. Travis, I have a small propane heater that I will bring in case you want it for break the morning chill for your daughter.

• I've got a nice big bundle of firewood all loaded and ready to go.

• Not really used to car camping, most of my experience comes from backpacking. I guess digging a hole with a pooper scooper is out of the question?

• Thanks for the offer, but I just bought myself a nice Mr. Heater. I'm also hoping those temps keep rising (although they are looking pretty good as we speak).

It is not a matter of car camping vs backpacking so a "cat hole" is not out of the question. It's a matter of impact in a high use camping area (base camp) with no toilet facilities. A group of 20 people just left after spending two nights. We will have about 15 people over four nights. That is a lot of human waste in a small area. Multiply that times many groups over the years and that is a lot of impact if not properly considered. You can dig a hole, just please make sure it is far far away from the camp. I have been in back packing areas with high use impacts. The desert compounds the problem with little soil and soil bacteria to breakdown the waste.

Here is a rather extreme example, but you get the picture.
http://www.sharetrails.org/node/7901

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/422-Camp-toilet

You can find a lot more information on this topic as it is becoming a bigger problem in high use areas. The comment was more for awareness due to the size of our group and not to tell people what to do.

Many good points I hadn't considered.

Again, when we would go backpacking, I think my dad always went for the most remote locations. We wouldn't see but maybe one or two other backpackers the whole week we were out, so this is all new to me.

I guess my idea of just digging a hole behind the trail leaders tent is out. ;) Especially with what I eat. :D

Looks like I'll go read through the Expo thread and find a nice portable commode for the trip.

Thanks for the info.

Excellent info there. I'm sitting in Green River at Ray's enjoying a burger. It was bitterly cold the last two nights. 10 or 14 degrees depending on thermometer. Several in our group were unprepared for the unexpected cold and left early. Not sure what your plans are but it was about 15 degrees warmer at the base of the swell at Black Dragon Canyon. Could be a potential alternate location if this cold streak continues.

FWIW the pit toilet at Swazey's is in great condition.

Any suggestions?

5 gallon bucket with a seat? http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Prod...=UTF8&qid=1364169440&sr=8-22&keywords=wag+bag

http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Prod...=UTF8&qid=1364169631&sr=8-43&keywords=wag+bag

This looks like it would get "dirty" fast. http://www.amazon.com/TravelJohn-Fo...=UTF8&qid=1364169695&sr=8-52&keywords=wag+bag

Folding toilet seat? This thing is weight rated for 500lbs, so it "should" hold me. http://www.amazon.com/Cleanwaste-GO...e=UTF8&qid=1364169353&sr=8-9&keywords=wag+bag

Do you guys use those little privacy tents? I'm not shy, but seeing me on the pot might scar your kids. :eek:

As always, thanks for the input and ideas.

My family uses the 5 gallon bucket with seat for car camping. It is not very portable, but the convenience factor is phenomenal - maybe less so for a guy, but for the ladies and children this thing is worth its weight in gold.

Wal-mart sells the bags that go inside the bucket (as well as selling the bucket too). They run about $2 per bag, but they contain absorbent material and have a double zip-lock closure to prevent leaks when being transported.

The bag keeps the inside of the bucket relatively clean, so things can be stored inside the bucket while packed in the car. Still, keep some germicidal wipes handy for quick once-over before packing it away.

Weather forecast looking good, although I'd still like to see it a bit warmer at night.

weather.jpg

Can't ask for better than that this time of year. It really can be a throw of the dice.

Excellent info there. I'm sitting in Green River at Ray's enjoying a burger. It was bitterly cold the last two nights. 10 or 14 degrees depending on thermometer. Several in our group were unprepared for the unexpected cold and left early. Not sure what your plans are but it was about 15 degrees warmer at the base of the swell at Black Dragon Canyon. Could be a potential alternate location if this cold streak continues.

FWIW the pit toilet at Swazey's is in great condition.

Thanks for the heads up on the latest info. I'm glad we delayed the trip. Those are some cold temps, especially if folks weren't prepared. Are there any good camp spots for 4 rigs in the Black Dragon Canyon area? Any pit toilets in that area?

Fitz, do you still want me to carry that gas can since you got your rack built?

You may have to remind me of your address Leon ... may still have it in a pm from last year but haven't looked yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom