San Rafael Swell-- Spring break March 27 - 31 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gauging interest for a trip to the San Rafael Swell in Utah. The plan is for a multi-night, family friendly, expo type trip. The departure date can be in the afternoon on the 22nd or early Sat. 23. Return can be variable for those interested in different length trips as we won't be too far from I-70. I would like to be out for 4 or 5 nights. I am still doing research on a loose itinerary but I would like to include some hikes to check out some of the awesome features out there. The drive to Green River, UT is about 6 hours from the Springs.

Here are a few links to whet the appetite.

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/price/more/san_rafael_swell.html
http://www.sanrafaelswell.org/gallery/gallery.php
http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?27692-Ghoul-Gulch-and-Calf-Canyon

Contact information

Simplex 146.460 Mhz

repeater use if necessary (http://www.sdarc.us/repeaters/cedar-uhf.html)

Cedar Mtn. (linked)

Repeater Access Information
Repeater Callsign: K7SDC
Output Frequency: 147.140 MHz
Input Frequency: 147.740 MHz
Offset: +600 kHz
CTCSS: 88.5 Hz

Cedar Mtn. (standalone)
Repeater Access Information
Repeater Callsign: WX7Y
Output Frequency: 448.550 MHz
Input Frequency: 443.550 MHz
Offset: -5 MHz
CTCSS (Tone Sq): 88.5 Hz

Moab (linked)

Repeater Callsign: K7QEQ
Output Frequency: 146.900 MHz
Input Frequency: 146.300 MHz
Offset: -600 kHz
CTCSS: 88.5 Hz

Confirmed Attending:

Leon - 4
Doug - 2
David (Doug's brother) - 1
Travis - 2
Eric - 3
Paul - 3

Last edited:
We are interested and will follow the thread to see if we can make it work.

same here...could probably leave that thursday and head back sunday.

Sounds like a fun trip....but I will be heading to Alabama and Florida that week.

Definitely interested! Can't commit just yet though.

The more I think about it, the more excited I’m getting.

Now, I just need:

• 2 ½ inch lift
• Bilstein/Radflo/Slee shocks
• ARB/Slee Front bumper
• Winch
• ARB Rear bumper w/ 2 Tire rack
• Extra Spare Tire
• Tire patch kit
• Skid Plates
• Front and rear lockers
• ARB compressor
• Gas Can
• Water Can
• Trasharoo
• Roof Rack
• Roof Tent
• ARB Fridge/Freezer
• Drawer system
• LED bars
• Snorkel (aka Dorkel)
• Dual Battery Setup
• Two Platinum Die Hard Batteries
• Blue Sea Fuse Block
• HID Headlight Conversion
• On-board hot water shower system
• Foxwing awning
• HAM Radio
• Antenna and antenna mount
• One extra spare part for every breakable part​

…or I could just throw the tent, a couple of lawn chairs and a cooler in the back.

Didnt really see any trail info on the site. Is it just basic dirt roads a stocker can do or are there good trails?

Once we know the rigs we can settle on trails and maybe options. I'm thinking of letting my son take the stock '86 4runner but haven't decided.

There are some trails that a stocker would have trouble but nothing like Kokoeplli and Rose Garden Hill. Here is a link to some more pics:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/co-book-cl...an-rafael-overnight-march-30-april-1-a-3.html

Travis, that is quite the list, don't know if it is all necessary, but we won't mention that to your wife ;)

C'mon Eric, the kids will have a blast!

Sounds very interesting. I'm a tentative yes. Leaving Saturday Morning returning Tuesday.

I got the time off work and the OK from the wife so plan on my wife and I going in the FJ40. My Brother is also very interested in coming in hi Stock TACO. I'm hoping to make it to the meeting this week but if I don't I'd like to discuss the routes with you.

Added the Nat Geo OHV map of the swell area. Also added a general map of the swell area

Last edited:
Doug,

Sorry I didn't see your earlier post. I was out of town for several days and got back late Monday night. Bring the family, that will be great. I don't see any maps posted in you last post. Do you think between your maps and mine (1:100,000) that will be enough? I may just go to or call MacVan maps and see if they have the BLM maps for the area. As we discussed last night, let's try to talk on Sat. and we can get together more as needed. Thanks for the help.

Trip is still on. I have been trying to get a hold of Doug to help with the planning but haven't heard from him. I will post more info this weekend. I generally don't plan out every detail and like to leave some flexibility so we can adapt to what interests people once we get out there as well as changes in the weather. That said, there are certain sites (petroglyphs), slot canyons, mines etc. that look very interesting. I think leaving early Sat. morning is the most likely and returning Tue. or Wed. for us. It is about 6 hrs. to Green River, UT, our jumping off point. More later.

Okay, here are some updates. Thanks to Doug and Cheryl for coming over and talking through some options. Doug, based on some more research I think the best thing would be to try and find a base camp in the general area of Swasey's Cabin. I found many more places and they seem to be in that part of the Swell and we can easily hit the Little Wildhorse and Goblin Valley one of the full days out.

Here is a proposed schedule. This may change a bit as I found out more on the locations and best combinations of sites to visit:

Sat: Get to Green River gas up and head to the Swasey Cabin area
Sun: Explore Swasey's Cabin area
Head of Sinbad
Copper Globe Mine
Black Dragon Pictograph
Lone Warrior Rock Art Site​

Mon: Explore

Little Wildhorse Canyon
Goblin Valley area​

Tue: Explore

Ghoul Gulch at Hamburger rocks
Buckhorn wash
Wedge overlook​

Wed: On way home

Missile site
Crystal Geyser
Sego Canyon/Ghost town​

Trails to explore as well:

Other trails are Eva Conover and Eagle Canyon. From what I have heard Devils Racetrack, Fix It Pass are harder trails not good for stock '86 4runner.

I updated the first post with radio contact information. I will also be using APRS on the trip so if I can hit a digipeter people will be able to track our progress. I have also updated the attendance list.

I know Doug will be leaving Tue. but there are many options if people want to come for part of the time.
Vic, Doug will be trailering his 40 so maybe you can as well.

Paul, Eric , others?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom