San Rafael Swell-- Spring break March 27 - 31 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's gonna be a busy weekend.......

:)

Shouldn't be too bad, we won't be coming into where you guys are camped. If I remember correctly you guys will be pulling out Sunday, so there shouldn't be any traffic jams. We can save the Lone Warrior area for after you guys pull out. Plus, we are a much smaller group compared to yours.

If you know a good place for a smaller base camp in that area of the Swell we would sure appreciate hearing about it.

Also replied on Bookcliff site

Last edited:
We're in - myself & the kids. What map do you reccomend for the area?

That's great Eric!

Here is a link, I don't have any hard copies other than the Gazetteer and my mapping software.

http://www.emerycounty.com/travel/Maps/motorizedvehiclemap.pdf

I have GPS coordinates for all those place but need to clean them up as I downloaded from several site and they are in several formats.

Leon,
I spoke with my Brother David. He has explored and camped in that area. He commented that quality camp sites were limited in the swassy cabin and head of Sinbad area. Most of the area is open and exposed to winds. Hopefully you will get some recommendations from the Bookcliff group on where the best camp sites are.

David is going to head out Friday and scout out the area I'm planning on joining him early saturday so we can locate a suitable Camp site. We can plan on meeting the rest of you guys at back at a landmark such as swassy's cabin at a specific time and leading the way to the camp site if that would be helpful.

Leon,
I spoke with my Brother David. He has explored and camped in that area. He commented that quality camp sites were limited in the swassy cabin and head of Sinbad area. Most of the area is open and exposed to winds. Hopefully you will get some recommendations from the Bookcliff group on where the best camp sites are.

From Bookcliff site : That's the only area I've camped but there are lots of options i recall just from driving around. One area I would like to camp and spend more time is the Southern Swell at or near the hidden splendor airstrip.

There are numerous sites along the route we take from Exit 131 to Lone Warrior. Better ones appear to the north up against the same ridge line Lone Warrior is on. Never camped there or even drove in but they look decent from a distance. This would be in a good distance and fairly close to Lone Warrior.

David is going to head out Friday and scout out the area I'm planning on joining him early saturday so we can locate a suitable Camp site. We can plan on meeting the rest of you guys at back at a landmark such as swassy's cabin at a specific time and leading the way to the camp site if that would be helpful.

That is what repeaters are for, use the linked repeater and we will be able to reach each other when I can hit the Moab repeater. We'll talk more at the meeting next week, which reminds me of something I need to post..

I'm not familiar with the area, have only driven through on I-70, so not sure I have much to add at this point, will need to review the info posted.

Looks like we would be driving our basically stock '86 4Runner with ARB rear and TrueTrac front, so will be limited to what it can do.

That's great Paul! How many will be in your group?

Looks okay to me. Not sure what some of you were looking at during the meeting?

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...ll&smap=1&searchresult=Green River, Utah, USA

9:00pm 3/19

weatherunderground for Emery UT shows significantly colder
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=emery+ut
21 F on Saturday night, 25 on Sunday

Green River shows 23 & 28 respectively
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=green+river+ut&MR=1

I'm good to go either weekend. I would still need to switch some daycare plans around, so the sooner we come to a decision, the better.

Forecast is in the 50's for the end of next week......

I was thinking about your gas situation - ie. making a hitch mount carrier or such. If you could carry a 5 gallon water jerry can for me, I could put both my 5 gallon gas cans on my roof carrier. Was only going to carry one for myself.

I was thinking about your gas situation - ie. making a hitch mount carrier or such. If you could carry a 5 gallon water jerry can for me, I could put both my 5 gallon gas cans on my roof carrier. Was only going to carry one for myself.

Sounds like a plan! Thanks.

Here is your weather report...

Main issues will be here in Colorado...especially Friday afternoon and Saturday. I would expect snow into the continental divide by Friday afternoon with the heaviest overnight Friday into Saturday down into Springs. Areas out west in Utah look good. There may be periods of light snow through the weekend, but the chances are pretty low. Temperatures will likely be cool through the weekend with highs in the 40s. Things look better by Monday and Tuesday...dry and warmer with lows in the mid 30s...highs in the upper 50s to lower 60s. In fact the rest of the week looks pretty good. Like I said...main issue will be here in CO Friday afternoon into Saturday...

Kyle

I'm good to go either weekend. I would still need to switch some daycare plans around, so the sooner we come to a decision, the better.

Forecast is in the 50's for the end of next week......

I'm good for this weekend. Can't make it if we delay but please don't let that stop you from make the best plans for the group.

Date change

Thanks for posting that Kyle. I was looking over the NWS forecast out Green River way and the temps have been lowered there as well. I spoke with Paul and he can make it if we delay. My main motivation right now is to make sure the kids will have the best chance for fun and I believe that is if we delay.

Sorry about that Doug. Didn't you say Cheryl was wanting to back out due to the forecast?

CO_Hunter said:
Thanks for posting that Kyle. I was looking over the NWS forecast out Green River way and the temps have been lowered there as well. I spoke with Paul and he can make it if we delay. My main motivation right now is to make sure the kids will have the best chance for fun and I believe that is if we delay.

Sorry about that Doug. Didn't you say Cheryl was wanting to back out due to the forecast?

Ok, works for us - second half of the week definitely looks nicer. What day are you thinking to leave now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom