Reversal of a Shackle Reversal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to have my mechanic help to "reverse" an existing shackle reversal. I know it will require 4 perches but I don't have a good idea of how to show the steps required or welding spots. I have to get this step done to install a new OME suspension.

Does anyone have detailed videos or pics for a properly done reversal of a reversal?

Thanks.

There are several kits that are commonly used to do a shackle reversal. Do you know whos' kit was used? If not several photos to show the front and rear spring attachments will help others to identify. From there a plan can be made to reverse the process.

Check out post #8 in this thread for where the original components go.

Last edited:
There are several kits that are commonly used to do a shackle reversal. Do you know whos' kit was used? If not several photos to show the front and rear spring attachments will help others to identify. From there a plan can be made to reverse the process.
Thanks

depending what rivet holes have been removed or filled in the frame, its pretty cut and dried to figure out where the oe brackets go.

jan17frontA.jpg

jan17frontB.jpg

jan17D.jpg

jan17E.jpg

Check out post #8 in this thread for where the original components go.
Here are the pictures:

IMG_3533.jpeg

IMG_3532.jpeg

IMG_3531.jpeg

IMG_3530.jpeg

you should be in good shape, those used existing rivet holes to be fastened on. remove the bits and line up the holes in the frame and oe brackets and have at it.

you should be in good shape, those used existing rivet holes to be fastened on. remove the bits and line up the holes in the frame and oe brackets and have at it.
Thanks - were these welded and bolted or just bolted. I have no welding experience and my wife already has me to go!

with grade 5 or 8.8 hardware no, assuming the holes in either the brackets you are using or the frame have not been egged out from the prior removal process. when bolting you will need to ensure the mating surface area of the frame and brackets are flat, as you will be depending on the surface shear strength. me? i would like to see them welded on, but i can weld. but bolting is of little difference from the rivets that were originally there if everything is flat and smooth.

I would use either grade 5 or grade 8 fine thread bolts. Fine thread gives more metal to metal contact between the nut and bolt. After its assembled you could find a local welding shop to weld the brackets in place, if your concerned.

20231118_105103.jpg
20231118_104951.jpg
20231118_104928.jpg

I'm reversing a reversal as well. I was missing a spring hanger for the front and the shackle hangers were looking a little wonky so I ordered a set of both from BTB products. The spring hangers look alright but they omitted the 2 holes in the hanger on the bottom. The plan was to bolt them on then have a friend weld them.

This is what I have now

20231221_175820.jpg

Question on this, is which hole is the correct one? I guess just measure off the old hanger and figure it out that way. Then drill holes in the new hangers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom