Replacing OEM nav with non nav climate controls and aftermarket sound system possible? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have seen someone install an aftermarket head unit, amp, and speakers (run new speaker wire) by moving the OEM head unit while keeping it hooked up so that climate controls and everything still work on the OEM screen.
But what about converting a gx with nav and ml to a non nav model, using OEM climate controls from a non nav model and installing an aftermarket head unit, screen, amp, and speakers?
Would that be possible?
I'm not sure if a non nav climate control would plug into the harness of a gx with nav and also work.

I am waiting on a Kenwood, when I pull the dash, I can look at the wires and take some pictures if someone want to compair to a nav unit GX

I truly hope it's possible. I'm afraid a lot of the wiring is different back there with the ML sound.

Is it possible to get ML sound without nav, or nav without ML sound?

I had ML without nav in my 2003. I swapped it all out a few years back to aftermarket.

I have seen someone install an aftermarket head unit, amp, and speakers (run new speaker wire) by moving the OEM head unit while keeping it hooked up so that climate controls and everything still work on the OEM screen.
But what about converting a gx with nav and ml to a non nav model, using OEM climate controls from a non nav model and installing an aftermarket head unit, screen, amp, and speakers?
Would that be possible?
I'm not sure if a non nav climate control would plug into the harness of a gx with nav and also work.
Funny you brought this up. I was wanting to do this, but someone beat me to the climate control on a wrecked gx. So never had a chance to see for sure if connection was compatible. I'd like to think so and very curious on the answer.

Would that be possible?

this post from the toyota 120 forums has a general overview of how you might go about it. for someone with extra time and money, figuring out how to do this swap could be a good business opportunity. i'd certainly pay a reasonable sum to be able to swap out the ML nav for something more modern.

Removing factory nav for aftermarket, can I swap climate controls? - Toyota 120 Platforms Forum

this post from the toyota 120 forums has a general overview of how you might go about it. for someone with extra time and money, figuring out how to do this swap could be a good business opportunity. i'd certainly pay a reasonable sum to be able to swap out the ML nav for something more modern.

Removing factory nav for aftermarket, can I swap climate controls? - Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Me too. There are at least 3 different configurations I have found for the overseas land cruiser prado. I wonder if anyone of those would work.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

last picture is a non nav

How did they get such a huge screen in that last photo? It doesn't need any trim around the display! I hate that none of the trims offered are painted to match the brownish silver of the stock console. I bought the cheap surround off of Amazon and have been looking for some spray paint that is close so I can try to match closely to stock.

How did they get such a huge screen in that last photo? It doesn't need any trim around the display! I hate that none of the trims offered are painted to match the brownish silver of the stock console. I bought the cheap surround off of Amazon and have been looking for some spray paint that is close so I can try to match closely to stock.

took mine to paint shop in Phoenix and he painted it for $40, looks close

if you have hobby stores or model toy stores, you might try them

The ML and NAV combo is my biggest complaint about the truck. If I could ditch it I would do it in a heartbeat.

One question I've never seen answered - does anyone know what middleware, app dev environment, or even which OS the nav system is using? I ask b/c rather than ripping it all out, rewiring etc - one approach may be instead to hack the underlying platform and modify that.

Open-source IVI, rt-os, etc are all very mature nowadays; I've also found specs & reverse engineering on the Toyota/Lexus CAN-BUS; but admittedly have not looked at what actually powers the nav/audio/hvac on-screen display.

That is very interesting.
Would the old hardware that is in these trucks really limit what you would be able to do with new open source software or hacking the system?

That is very interesting.
Would the old hardware that is in these trucks really limit what you would be able to do with new open source software or hacking the system?

Until some of the basic questions can be answered, we can't know for certain. But there are numerous options for OS and app environment on low-spec hardware, that is not a showstopper by any means. Heck even a piggyback to pass through the stock signal to another board that then powers the dash screen and functions is a possibility.

I've actually been doing a lot of reading on sniffing and cracking the various vehicle systems. I've not yet run across any info on what powers the Lexus nav etc (Lexus Link is just rebranded OnStar), and I don't have a full electronic diagram to reference. Anyone have this info?

It would be awesome to replace the screen with an aftermarket screen and somehow run an os or app that would talk to the Lexus System to control the climate control. no idea if that's possible but that would be cool. From what I understand it isn't the screen and the hardware that attached to it that is needed but the head unit with the tape deck that is needed to be retained in order to be able to use the climate control. So maybe this could be possible. But I looked into this a while ago and I might be forgetting somethings.

Last edited:
Soon, we'll all be able to use our OEM nav screen for car play, and forego expensive modifications.... they are just waiting for apple to authorize the license, the beta tests are over and the technology is ready. i just spoke directly with the project lead at grom yesterday (december 8, 2016). the future is coming for the LC!

VLINE Next generation Infotainment Center for Lexus/Toyota - Beta-test sign up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom