Pumpkin orange (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was the pumpkin orange color only offered in 1973? I've only seen a few orange FJ40s, and they were all '73 models. Seems somewhat rare.

Here's a color chart. Pollux Orange(304)?
FJ40 Color Code Chart

FYI that is not a chart by Toyota. The Mustard color started in 75 and never seen a factory paint orange FJ40 with ambulance doors. I was already driving a FJ40 by 75. A friend of mine traded in his Datson pickup bought one of the first 75s in Southern California. Not only was my 40 a 4WD I could carry more firewood in the back then he could in his Datson. Spring could carry the weight. He had it less then a year and had to have a Land Cruiser. It was red and he wished he had waited until a mustard color one showed up. He was the first of three friends who bought FJ40 are riding in mine. Last was 79 my friend bought in the mid nineties. Few years later I bought that one.

My ex-wife's cousin had a orange 73 hard top he bought new. I have a orange 73 FST with original paint I bought in 94.

Here is a 74 original paint
IMG_0223.JPG
IMG_0224.JPG

77 South American import. No chart I have found shows orange for a 77. My best guess is that mine is Polluck Orange since my data plate is MIA.
IMG_4557.JPG

How rare is an orange FST?

Over all probably pretty rare. But mainly because of how old they are now and the few years orange was offered in the US. While there were fewer orange FJ40s imported then other more common colors don't think we're super rare. Can't remember any other ones on Mud but wasn't looking for them either.

Some also had different interior door panels, they were semi padded, not just metal.

73-75 were the years, I think

Had always heard, the orange 40's were originally(up till painted ) meant to go to SA, but the market in the US was very hot, they sent them here, with US spec parts. True or not I dunno, but seeing how some have different door panels not seen on US models(but do show up in parts books)....it's possible

Possibly. Not sure how different the Canadian market offerings were for those years but I have two originally orange 40s, one is a 71 and the other a 74. Both as far as I know were west coast trucks. The 74 has the door padding. The 71 still has the old dealership sticker on the back door but also a window sticker from a trip to SA that it must have taken.
edit - Just checked and the 71 has the padded door panels as well.

Last edited:
Mine are Sept 71 and Sept 73. One was resprayed flat black the other blue. Guess the PO's didn't like orange but they left the interiors. Shows the door panels anyhow.

DSC_0700.JPG

DSC_0706.JPG

DSC_0705.JPG

I had an orange 78.... of course not original

fj40b.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom