Patrol: a FJ40 knock-off by Nissan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
uncle had one in the early 80's really tuff rig .....well i was a kid then everything's bigger,badder,taller.stronger when your young

You would think that you could only create a knock-off a design that was original in concept in the first place.
Surely the FJ owes a lot to the Land Rover and wartime Jeep before it - let's not get to prescious about things - typical of Japs to take on board an existing concept and refine it - lacking in originality but strong on engineering - sadly the Nissan seems to have missed a trick or two.

I've seen a handful here too. Kind of looks more like a UAZ than a 40 to me. Still old-school cool. :cool:

Looks more like a older Land Rover Defender.

I explained it to the wife as a 40 tub with a rover series 1 front end when I asked if I could buy it. (don't think I didn't try);)

Not so popular here since not many were sold but very popular and well-respected rig in the rest of the world. Sold manly in the Middle East and OZ they are still in production but in a luxury SUV mode like the 100 series. Just like the Land Cruiser line up they came in many different configurations.

It was called the Nissan Patrol. I did not know Nissan even tried to compete with the FJ40. They must not have been successful or perhaps you would here more about them.
:rolleyes:

Looks like a Land/Range rover knockoff to me. Seen a couple of clubs for them. Just so you know the original landcruiser was called a jeep and looked much like an early willys. The straight sixes in them are basically a chevy design like the 265? and I hear that many parts are interchangable like the pistons but not sure. I read one of the biggest reasons for chevy designed based motor was because toyota put a bid in to build military vehicles for the us in the Korean War and they wanted a motor that the GI mechanics were already familiar with.

Patrol: a FJ40 knock-off by Nissan

Careful there cowboy. The Patrol was introduced in 1950, so it's more likely the Toyota Jeep BJ (1st land cruiser, before the name land cruiser) was a copy of it, but it's probably not. They were both doing development on small military 4x4s during the war.

"In 1941 the Japanese Imperial Army occupied the Philippines, where they obtained a Bantam Mk II, and promptly brought it to Japan. The Japanese military authorities commanded Toyota that they make a similar vehicle. There was an order from them, "do not to model the appearance of a prototype on a US Jeep" too. The prototype called Model AK was adopted Yon-Shiki Kogata Kamotsu-Sha ( 小型貨物 The Imperial era 2604th model compact cargo-truck ) formally by The Japanese Imperial Army.

In 1941 the Japanese government asked Toyota to produce a light truck for Japan military campaign. Toyota developed a 1/2 ton prototype called the AK10 in 1942. The AK10 was built using reverse-engineering from the Bantam GP prototype. It was unsuccessful and production went to Nissan instead. There are no known surviving photographs of the AK10. The only known pictorial representations are some rough sketches. The truck featured an upright front grille, flat front wheel arches that angled down and back like the FJ40 and headlights that were mounted above the wheel arches on either side of the radiator. It also had a folding windshield."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser#1950-1959
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Patrol

Toyota Jeep BJ:
bj2.jpg

AK10:
BildeAK10.jpg

Careful there cowboy. The Patrol was introduced in 1950, so it's more likely the Toyota Jeep BJ (1st land cruiser, before the name land cruiser) was a copy of it, but it's probably not. They were both doing development on small military 4x4s during the war.

"In 1941 the Japanese Imperial Army occupied the Philippines, where they obtained a Bantam Mk II, and promptly brought it to Japan. The Japanese military authorities commanded Toyota that they make a similar vehicle. There was an order from them, "do not to model the appearance of a prototype on a US Jeep" too. The prototype called Model AK was adopted Yon-Shiki Kogata Kamotsu-Sha ( 小型貨物 The Imperial era 2604th model compact cargo-truck ) formally by The Japanese Imperial Army.

In 1941 the Japanese government asked Toyota to produce a light truck for Japan military campaign. Toyota developed a 1/2 ton prototype called the AK10 in 1942. The AK10 was built using reverse-engineering from the Bantam GP prototype. It was unsuccessful and production went to Nissan instead. There are no known surviving photographs of the AK10. The only known pictorial representations are some rough sketches. The truck featured an upright front grille, flat front wheel arches that angled down and back like the FJ40 and headlights that were mounted above the wheel arches on either side of the radiator. It also had a folding windshield."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser#1950-1959
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Patrol

x2...beat me to it ;)

Behold, the AK10 !!

jeepJ.jpg

early on during the korean war the toyota came with their own "B" engine that was in use by toyota since 1937 or so...the "F" engine which was very close to the chevy 235 came out in 1955 or there abouts...the us military got there units from toyota with this engine at the end of the korean war. But the US military did prefer the Toyota FQ over their own m-37's because the FQ (with the F engine) required far less maintnance than any US made truck.

AK10: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=181527 ;)

Uh, red X there DBAX

Guess no photos really exist. :)

I got one up at the beach house fully restored back to original. They are a mwb unlike the fj40 swb, gives you about 8" more in the back and they are a little wider as well.Ours is a 1974 model and they are called a G60 Nissan. Has a petrol motor which is very stronge, drinks alot of petrol and has a 3 speed gearbox, tranfercase has a H & L and a seperate gear change for 2W & 4W, hubs are manual lock same as FJ40. Also they are a very ridged truck on rough tracks, break your back.There is still the occasional one around in Aussie but parts are getting hard to find, ours has a soft top but the hard top is in the garage. A good one of these would be a collectors item as there is not many around anymore.

There are a couple sitting idle up the street from me. Look like real sturdy/stout rigs. Pretty cool vehicles for certain.