Our Metalian Midi build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After lots of contemplating we finally decided that the Midi Metalian would suit our needs(and notso) best.To be honest( and I was a non trailer = "anti anchor person " before ) but from the first time I laid eyes on the Metalian range, I knew it would always be one of them lurking in our future.However, deciding which one proved to be a real challenge, so this week ....

Trying to match Olive in height was always going to be an issue so I bought rims an tyres before the trailer was even ordered.Fortunately Eugene had an almost done Midi for some test fitting. Swambo was heavily opposed to lurking frontal overhang from the impeding Impi tent,so we started contemplating from day one, .... or was that day two ?

Our solution was a custom "tall & skinny" (just like the wheels& tyres) nosecone ....something along the lines of ..

We soon realized that even with the new 33" x 10.5 x R15 tyres we still needed to drop the coupler inside the chassis rail( Metalian feature) to get the trailer level behind Olive.

Watch this space because swambo is having a blast :eek:

Theo,
That's one impressive trailer!:beer:

It's a little hard to see, but what kind of coupling is that?

I don't think the good folks at http://metalian.co.za/ knew what they were in for when they agreed to build me one of their trailers but "with a few custom mods". Anyhow they have really come to the party sofar and their service has been fantastic in all respects.I am not affiliated or anything but feel credit be given where it is due.

So our custom lenth uprated 2.5T braked axle finally arrived and I just had to pop in for a quick view to see how she sits on her own feet.The stock spring setup was to low for the 33" tyres so it got changed and there is no need for a U-bolt flip kit ;)

Sparewheel moved to the rear for weight distribution and to make space for the nosecone

We needed to see how much nose-up she would still be after the susp and tyre lift as we can still bring it down by flipping the coupler mounting bracket :hmm:

Not bad if you take into account that both Olive and trailer were completely empty so we decided to wait till completion before we make the call. Then we got inquisitive to see what my Impi would look like even though the roofrack and nosecone were still due for fabrication ....

I am very happy with the prospects !! :bounce:

Last night we received the final designs for the drawers, roofrack, nosecone etc all in colour PDF format nogal, for our approval.Hopefully everything will be punched and bent today before being shipped to powdercoating and Rhinolining of the nosecone. Exciting times for us :bounce:

Attachments

• Midi_Trailer_-_Theo_Marx[1].pdf
    712.3 KB · Views: 859
  • Roof_Rack_Drawing_-_Theo_Marx[1].pdf
    156.1 KB · Views: 374
The nosecone is done and together with all the drawers are at the powder-coaters.Meanwhile work continues ....

The Topflow pump and 2 x 105 amp deep cycle Deltec batts.

Blue%2520Downs-20130626-00070.jpg

Blue%2520Downs-20130626-00071.jpg

Waiting for the shelving a drawers ...

Blue%2520Downs-20130626-00073.jpg

Roof rack coming together ...

Blue%2520Downs-20130626-00074.jpg

Josh recently reminded me of the saying: Happy wife = happy(camping) life so :princess: got the tap that she wanted ...

Brackenfell-20130611-00046.jpg

:cheers:

I don't know what it is, but somehow that trailer belongs to the Olive.

Yes it could, as the normal setup with the 2x 75L watertanks even allow for a normal chassis mounted gravity feed tap to be utilised. However in our case the aim with the trailer is to do 3 or 4 month long extended overlanding trips into Africa.Therefore an LPG gas-geyser for both showering and kitchen needs, was not negotiable.In terms of showering I have gotten tired of the push button igniter type startup systems and decided to buy and fit the 8L S/S Dewhot http://www.dewhot.co.za/Dewhot.aspx which is pulse ignited.The requirements of the geyser and the domestic mixer tap are such that we required a decent pump.The Topflow pump is very strong, reliable and it has a built in inline filter.The specific tap has a long pullout extension which swambo needs when doing dishes - she is quite short and when you see the dishrack setup that I am planning you will understand.

I don't know what it is, but somehow that trailer belongs to the Olive.

Thanks mate. The decision was the result of much research :cheers:

Last edited:
Exceptional workmanship for sure....looks light, rugged, and functional.

Great job!

Thank you for the kind words, I will pass them along ;)

Today saw quite a bit of progress ...

This particular drawer will eventually also carry the weight of the dish-rack & basin setup so I chose the HD 180kg rated slides for it.Above it will be a further 2 drawers with the more 'sedate' 90kg rated slides.

The geyser with the nosecone doors and the 2 side-drawers

Side drawers

The 2 top kitchen drawers

I had to leave before the nosecone returned from Rhino-ling but things are speeding up now :bounce:

So last night the guys just kept going till 02h00...This morning I had the chance to pop in en-route to a meeting in the lovely town of Stellenbosch and .....

The new(raised) infamous tap box to make it possible for small people to reach it ...

DSC_0029.JPG

Frontal view

DSC_0031.JPG

Nosecone and tent mounted ..

DSC_0032.JPG

Stainless steel to the last bit ...

DSC_0035.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

Waiting for the doors ...

DSC_0037.JPG

Let there be light ..

DSC_0041.JPG

Then we rushed to confirm the tow ball height correctness after fitting the new coupler bracket that had to be fabbed after my 11th hour Bradley coupler change of heart :flipoff2:

DSC_0039.JPG

Close to perfect me thinks ?

DSC_0042.JPG

Man, that is so nice! What a great job everybody did on it.

You must be very happy. Enjoy it!

Thanks, we should be able to finish everything next week so who knows ... maybe a quick 1 nighter in the bush somewhere next weekend.We have a nice weekend trip later in the month ;)

Thanks ! :cool:

Today's pics ...

Nosecone doors with the anodized(non bling:rolleyes:) checkered plating for protection against the flying stones ...

The plumbing for the geyser has been fighting us on many fronts but we will eventually get there .....

Routing the plumbing along a route where it will hopefully remain reliable while being practical

We did eventually stop the leaks but there was some air in the system that needed to get purged. Oh well tomorrow is another day ..

Even though it took some S/S inner panels, the geyser is now mounted :cool:

DSC_0062.JPG

The gas bottle has been moved to the pax side due to the depth of the geyser ..

DSC_0063.JPG

We only used John Guest fittings http://www.jgspeedfit.com/Home/Projects/Hot-and-Cold-Water.aspx with proper Euro spec(not China) food-grade piping ...

DSC_0067.JPG

Now that the geyser is fixed in it's place, the loose plumbing can be finished ...

DSC_0069.JPG

And then yesterday I came across an absolute bargain buy Hannibal swing out awning for :princess:'s kitchen area, which necessitated a custom mounting bar etc so ....

DSC_0065.JPG

All done and welded waiting for the tent to go back on

DSC_0072.JPG

It looks higher than the tent but it is not ;)

DSC_0073.JPG

Getting closer :bounce:

It was a great pleasure doing this build for you Theo. For sure, this is our most unique setup and your input on this build has added to our skills. From all the guys at Metalian, we wish you many enjoyable days in the bush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom