Optima Basics? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Someone in a thread here on Mud suggested shopping Amazon for yellow top optima's - as there was a good sale. However, when I looked it up there are so many different model numbers for a dual purpose yellow top I'm baffled. Stopped by 4-wheel parts Friday and they have a dual purpose yellow top for $174. Either way - what's the diff with all the versions???

While I'm here. Anyone have an understanding of why a stored optima goes bad? My 40 has been sitting in front of the garage for almost a year, gets started about every month or so, the red top bit the dust. I run a mean green alt and recollect hearing someone say that hard charging a stored optima isn't good? Put in on the trickle charger - that doesn't hold either? It's toast.

LOL.... welcome to my hell.

Numbers correspond to groups that breakdown to size of case, CCA/total amps, terminals, and terminal locations.

I run a group 34/78 which is a large case dual terminal( screw in and post style)...

I have ended my issue with them dying by using a solar charger.

Heres a chart to for your measurements: http://gglotus.org/ggtech/battery-bci/battery-bci-size.htm

Last edited:
I am replacing two yellow tops in my camper that just died and are less than a year old.

Optimas suck..

If you need a sealed battery, I would look elsewhere.

I've heard the new Optimas have issues. I have a 7 year old red top that is still kicking. I pulled it from the 4Runner a few years ago because it was getting old and I didn't want to get stuck in Baja. I pulled it from the backyard after it had sat for at least two years, put it on trick charge, and it's still doing just fine in the 40.

I have had red tops go bad on me while sitting (not being driven much) in less then a year.

Shawn

Thanks for the dimension/post info. Helpful!

I once bought a pair of optima's that someone had bought new and had to resell cheap to pay off some bills. The red top worked fine for several years, the yellow top sat in my shop for several months and would never hold a charge (trickle from the get go). Wrote it off. $100 down the drain.

That first red top was great - I had an ignition problem about 2/3 up the sluice on Lower 2 in Tellico once - and rather than be a trail plug decided to just winch to the top and fix it there - the red top and my 8274-50 did it no problem (provided for cooling) and worked fine long after that...

This last red top was doing fine until I let the 40 sit.

What other options are there - I definitely need a battery and want something sealed??? This will be my 4th battery in this 40 for a 11 year plus period - not complaining but don't want another dud.

I run odessey( in my boats ) that have never died out.

I think that because I am trickle charging the optimas with solar. They dont die out. My K5 had a blue top that died out in less than two weeks just sitting in garage.

To help you narrow your choices.....

There are three main battery suppliers in the US. Exide, Johnson Controls and Delphi/Delco. The Optima was acquired by Johnson, I believe. Johnson also makes the Sears, Autozone, and a whole bunch of other store brands. Exide does the same and is commonly sold by Kragen/Schucks under both the Exide name and others. Delco does the same. Whatever you choose, it's likely that you will be getting one from one of these three makers. Probably best to shop by CCA, warranty and price. I just replaced an Optima of undertermined age with an Autozone Gold, as it was half the price and has an 8 year warranty-3 year replacement. Better than Optima's warranty which is two year replacement. Problem I was having with the Optima is that it would fully charge and then loose charge over about a week's time of not running the truck. Got tired of the surprises every time I went to drive the 40. From the comments I've read on Mud, I think the current Optimas are over rated.

I run odessey( in my boats ) that have never died out.

Sears sells a rebadged Odessey that is supposed to be good. Expensive at $190, but good.

Sears sells a rebadged Odessey that is supposed to be good. Expensive at $190, but good.

Odessey batteries are made by EnerSys. Not a big player in the US auto replacement market yet, but a good company that makes lots of industrial / commercial batteries. Pretty big in Europe and Asia, having acquired YUASA and FIAMM.

Ok - Oddessey I'm familiar with having grown up in the marine industry here in Florida - heck, I might even have two in the flats boat...

Would this be something similar to a yellow top CCA (880) and 135 min reserve capacity?

34/78-PC150012150088012501050686213510.85
(275.6)6.99
(177.5)7.82
(198.6)49.5
(22.4)TOP SAE
SIDE 3/8”
Receptacle60
(6.8)2.53100A

Edit - looking up a few posts I see someone else indicated the 34/78 yellow top - looks like the facts I cut and paste above are the Oddessey 34/78 version...

The Oddyssey listed above is running around $240 - $250 shipped, compared to the smaller (750) optima yellow top....but has a better warranty?

Cold Crank Amp (CCA)- 880; Better warranty: Limited 3 and 4 year full replacement warranty – not pro rata; Longer service life: With 3-10 years of service life, ODYSSEY batteries save consumers time, money, and aggravation.

Anybody want to comment - will have to buy local, the girlfriend has commented on all the Cruiser parts that have been showing up on the front porch after work :grinpimp:. As far as boats/ships go - my Pop swears by the Oddysseys. Just not sure how they might handle all the pounding on the rocks, not to mention rolling over.

Oddysseys are used a lot on off road race cars.

Good stuff..

BTW, I have a surf board in the back of my 60 right now :D

Someone in a thread here on Mud suggested shopping Amazon for yellow top optima's - as there was a good sale. However, when I looked it up there are so many different model numbers for a dual purpose yellow top I'm baffled. Stopped by 4-wheel parts Friday and they have a dual purpose yellow top for $174. Either way - what's the diff with all the versions???

While I'm here. Anyone have an understanding of why a stored optima goes bad? My 40 has been sitting in front of the garage for almost a year, gets started about every month or so, the red top bit the dust. I run a mean green alt and recollect hearing someone say that hard charging a stored optima isn't good? Put in on the trickle charger - that doesn't hold either? It's toast.

I have a blue top marine Optima that stays on a battery tender jr. It starts up everytime. the battery stays fully charged. And yes, the vehicle has an alarm system and LoJack which constantly draw current. I've had no problems other than the time I forgot to hookup the charger. The battery was dead. I put it on my big charger and it fully charged. That happen three years ago and the battery has worked without problem. I also have a 200 amp Mean Green alternator.

i have never had a problem with my red top , i let it sit for a month at a time occasionally and play the stereo with out the vehicle on while i work on the vehicle .

holds a charge no problem , works terrific . i do have a night switch on my 40 so maybe that helps . i hear a lot of optima horror stories but have yet to have one happen to me .

the only way i would charge one is with a pulse charger . http://www.xtremechargers.com/ this is the only charger i use now , it has de-sulfated a few of my batteries .

Optima batteries are junk.

I just bought a blue top for my camper so I hope I have good luck with it. I have a red top in my truck and it has worked fine so far.

As the Optima batteries reach a point that they do not hold a charge, I am replacing them with Sears Platinum Gel Mat batteries that are made by Odyssey (PC1500, Sears Version). I had one of the two yellow top Optima batteries in my Turbo Diesel reach a point that it was not holding a charge. I replaced both with the Sears Platinum Gel Mat batteries. My turbo diesel has never turned over so strongly. The Sears Platinum Gel Mat batteries have a 48 month full replacement and additional 36 months of prorated warranty. At $190 they are expensive, but still much cheaper than the Odyssey equivalent. When the blue top Optima in my FJ40 dies, I will be replacing it with the marine version of the Sears Platinum Gel Mat battery (PC1500MS, Sears Version). I also purchased the Sears Platinum Battery Charger that has a setup for charging the Platinum gel mat battery. It is micro-processer controlled and does a great job of bringing a 12v battery to full charge. Another thing I like about the Odyssey design is that the side post are part of the top post and much stronger resisting damage. You might want to read this thread from the FJ80 group (Best Battery)

Last edited:
Wow there is a lot of incorrect information in this post that I would like to help clear up.

There are three main battery suppliers in the US. Exide, Johnson Controls and Delphi/Delco.

Johnson Controls (JCI) owns and produces the Delco battery. The third battery manufacturer that you are missing is Interstate.

I am replacing them with Sears Platinum Gel Mat batteries that are made by Odyssey (PC1500, Sears Version)

The Sears Platinum battery is not a gel cell nor is made by Odyssey. It is made by EnerSys, who also makes the Odyssey battery, although they are not made to the same standard. The Sears Platinum and the Optima batteries are not a gel cell, they are an Absorbed Glass Mat or AGM battery. They are a sealed valve regulated wet acid battery.

Optima batteries are junk

The problem people are having with the AGM batteries is they are not charging them correctly. An AGM battery needs to charge at 30 amps and 15 volts which most standard battery chargers can not do. Also and AGM battery can sit for 24 months and retain a full charge. If your battery is going dead after being in storage the problem is most likely a drain in the vehicle not your battery. This can easily be solved by installing some sort of on board battery maintainer.

Just because two batteries are produced by the same manufacturer and come out of the same plant do not assume that they are build to the same standard and will perform equally.

Wow there is a lot of incorrect information in this post that I would like to help clear up.

Johnson Controls (JCI) owns and produces the Delco battery. The third battery manufacturer that you are missing is
Interstate.

As long as you are in the correction mode...you should note and update your knowledge in that Interstate does NOT make/manufacture batteries...they market and distribute under their brand name batteries made by Johnson Controls and at one time also marketed Optima under their brand. As for Johnson owning Delco batteries...that may well be true as Delphi has had it's share of problems and was in bankrupcy a while back. Johnson may have acquired the manufacturing, but not the brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom