New BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

315-75/16 KO2's just arrived at my tire shop...of course, I'm 2500+ miles from there...

I'm really curious how people like these - particularly in the snow. I love my Duratracs in the snow, but I'm getting the itch to try something new. With any luck, we're going to have an awesome ski season here which means lots of icy and snowpacked roads most weekends for us from Thanksgiving through May!

We will be testing two snowflake rated sets of tires this winter...315-75/16 BFG AT KO2's on my FZJ80 (replacing BFG KO's) and 285-70/17 Cooper A/TW's on @Pearl470 Heather's GX470 (replacing Cooper A/T3's). Watch for ongoing updates on both - our first trip with the GX470 will be over Thanksgiving weekend from WI to MN and back...and given how our Wisconsin winter has started, there should be plenty of snow/ice :)

I just need to escape this miserable Baja peninsula and the boredom of the Baja 1000 ;)

We will be testing two snowflake rated sets of tires this winter...315-75/16 BFG AT KO2's on my FZJ80 (replacing BFG KO's) and 285-70/17 Cooper A/TW's on @Pearl470 Heather's GX470 (replacing Cooper A/T3's). Watch for ongoing updates on both - our first trip with the GX470 will be over Thanksgiving weekend from WI to MN and back...and given how our Wisconsin winter has started, there should be plenty of snow/ice :)

I just need to escape this miserable Baja peninsula and the boredom of the Baja 1000 ;)

I am interested in the A/T W from Cooper, look like a really nice tire to go on the wife's '11 4Runner when the Falken's die.

I just had a set installed this past Friday. I didn't like the new design at first but now theyre starting to grow on me.

image.jpg

So what is the verdict on performance?
Woody, I am particularly interested to get thoughts as to whether they handle snow any better than previous gen AT KOs. I am on the fence about Duratracs or KO2s still. Trying to make up my mind.
Post more pics!

I'm getting mine installed sometime this week...keep you posted :)

Given the new KO2's have a snowflake rating, I'm expecting better snow performance than the KO's.

I'm getting mine installed sometime this week...keep you posted :)

Given the new KO2's have a snowflake rating, I'm expecting better snow performance than the KO's.

Many of the old KOs had the snowflake too. I went through 2 sets of 265/75R16s; one with the snowflake and one without (grrr). The handling difference was noticeable with the snowflake ones being better in most conditions but not quite the longevity (60K vs 75K). This was on two (nearly) identical Tahoes.

I will be keeping an eye on the mud performance of the KO2's, as my KO's HATE mud, especially the clay junk which lines the path to my upper property...they simply become clogged-slicks. Have more than once been going backwards, triple-locked on one nasty 20% section. Airing down helps, but not always an option.

Saw these on a Tacoma the other day while I was driving around. Tread pattern is definitely nicer looking than the old but still pays homage to the original. Liked the sidewall "teeth" as they were similar to the newer Rugged Terrain but more pronounced. Still loving my ST Maxx's after a couple weeks. Hopefully will get some snow in the next couple of days to see how they do.

I will be keeping an eye on the mud performance of the KO2's, as my KO's HATE mud, especially the clay junk which lines the path to my upper property...they simply become clogged-slicks. Have more than once been going backwards, triple-locked on one nasty 20% section. Airing down helps, but not always an option.

I was fortunately enough to attend a media event on the KO2...part of that included a half-day in a Ford Raptor on some rain-soaked dirt roads in Baja. I was thoroughly impressed with the tires and how well they pulled through. None of this was axle-deep however, nor was it clay.

Clay sucks...I've been in it...may as well be grease. The added void space on the KO2 will make them "better" than the KO's, but clay traction needs as much void as possible to have any chance (ie: Super Swampers...lol)

the biggest difference between the KO and the KO2 is the tread they put in the sidewall so you can do a lot of wheeling while aired down. if the longevity of the KO2 is anything like the KO, i will be buying them next when my KM2's wear down.

FWIW, the BFG rep in my area said the KO2s would be available in 295/75/16 "around March (2015)".

Got some classic Wisconsin winter roads testing in this week...

Tire: BFG KO2 315/75R16
Truck: 1996 FZJ80 with OME J's w/ part-time conversion

Had rain early in the week...temps in the 40's...snow melting fast (grass is dusted white now...not much for a white Christmas) Went out on Tuesday evening to pick up our Christmas tree. The rain had turned to snow and the side roads were GLARE ice. We had taken Heather's GX470 home from dinner (AWD on 2 year old 285 Cooper AT3's) so I had a good baseline to what the roads were like (as we blew more than one corner trying to stop)

The BFG KO2's were NOTICEABLY better, even in 2WD. Turning was good, stopping was good, acceleration was good. It's still easy enough to get sideways with some throttle, but they were very controllable. I was surprised. I would even put them as "comparable" to the 315 Treadwrights w/ Kedge I ran a couple winters back.

I had some concerns with the part-time kit and Wisconsin winters...that one evening of driving tossed those worries away.

Of course, she now wants her winter tires installed...wish I had those on that evening (Blizzaks) to compare...perhaps later this winter...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom