New BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I tried to get a list of sizes as I too need new shoes but BFG was unable to answer my question. I suppose I understand that but was just curious if they were going to be available in the same sizes as the standard A/T.
Having dealt with a handful of the manufacturers over the past years, it's likely that ALL of the sizes will be available, but it does take some times to tool up for each of them, with the most popular sizes being set up the quickest.

They are saying nov on their Facebook. I was getting ready to plop down some coin on the cooper st Maxx. May have to wait.

First Report:

61 total will be release over the coming year. Popular sizes Nov 1 (ish). Two more size release dates in 2015.

Center blocks are similar to current KO, but spaced further apart.

Siped down to the wear bars. 3D sipes (meaning when you open them up, it's not a straight cut). 3D sipes resist tire movement against itself, and help with longevity.

Sidewalls are straight off the current competition Baja KR2. Some CRAZY testing was done for sidewall strength (one of my complaints with the current KO).

Snowflake rated.

----

We tested in Baja MX over the past few days in Baja Challenge cars and Ford Raptors. 200ish miles of Baja terrain, driving at speeds up to 70mph on Baja 500/1000 course sections. I was one of the more experienced drivers (which wasn't saying much), some had never offroaded in their lives and one didn't even know how to drive a stick shift. Sand, water, rain, mud, rock, etc...all were present.

I was fortunate to be in a Raptor on Sunday afternoon during some heavy rains and flash floods. Being from WI, 'MUD is a way of life, so when our guide kept saying "time for 4wd" or "time for 4wd low and the rear locker", I generally ignored him and did it my way. Dropped into one wash full of water, steep muddy climb on the opposite side...I was in 4wd low, but no locker...left foot brake, crawl speed, and it walked up the slope without spinning. (guide orders to carry momentum were ignored) Sideways was possible in 2wd, but it still propelled that 7k truck forward without issue.

The BC cars were more entertaining...RWD, lightweight. I smacked a boulder with the left rear on Monday (oops - ha) and didn't do the rim much good...but the tire was unscathed. I looked at a LOT of the tires our groups ran over the two days, and couldn't find one that had any wear...well, that's not true...the BC car that was STILL running the KO2's it used to win the 2013 Baja 1000 and participate in dozens of other BC trips over the past months were worn...but if you drove like a crazed maniac around Baja for 7500ish miles, your tires would be thrashed as well :)

----

The current KO was released to the public by BFG in 1999. Obviously, tire technology changes, and while people !@#$%ing about the current KO for various things, I expect the changes made in the KO2 will impress users both on and off road.

I am pushing BFG to get me a set in time for SCC in early October...seems like some time trashing "my way" would be nice for folks looking for new tires.

----

The attached photo of the "worn" tire was from the ride-along trophy truck that Ryan Arcerio was taking us around in. 700hp. RWD only. Baja 1000, Baja 500, Mint 400 champion truck...twice for each race! 85-95mph per run. Put that much power to the ground on Baja race routes, particularly when you are showing off, and the results are obvious. ZERO flats, and the sidewalls looked perfect. I rode with Rob MacCachren in his prerunner buggy and we only hit 85mph...but HOLY HELL can that man drive like a maniac...and as calm as can be. Given the continuous abuse Rob and Ryan put their trucks and those tires through, I was impressed.

Bryce Menzies and I were paired up on Sunday as well. That kid has some skills as well, and pushed that BC car skillfully up a long rocky road with LOTS of near-death edges...the KO2's never missed a beat, holding corners at speeds well past my skill set.

Bad enough that a bunch of idiot journalists couldn't destroy them...the pro's couldn't either :)

10616373_10152696130435097_6576590082969580250_n.jpg

10649943_921212674574275_3033688144844887039_n.jpg

10686868_10152696114935097_6460326294414793137_n.jpg

10689878_10152696129975097_82839386835397999_n.jpg

Thanks Woody for your input and photos!

Looks like it's going to be neck and neck in the new Rugged All Terrain market with Toyo releasing their Open Country R/T to the market a few days ago.

Although I think for price, size, and weight I'll go with the BFG's once I take my snow tires off in Spring 15'.

glad i recently got a set of the KOs....not a fan of the MTR-esque sidewall. Ruins the clean/square looks. Not everything needs to be reinvented. I'm a huge BFG fanboy, hope they keep the KO in production for a while.

I know...haters gonna hate.

well they're not going to.
i was looking for a set of 285x75x16s a few weeks ago, and my local bfg dealer was showing 0 in his supply chain. had to go with 295s. so it lookd like they killed production early this year to empty the shelves of old stock before the new tires showed up....and i'm guessing to help get a bunch of the new style out the door quickly after they become available.

We are testing 7 sets on one of my commercial customers up here in Grande Prairie. they look really good in person. they have opened up the outside lugs. will keep you guys updated on the performance. We will be installing them in the next 2 weeks

Cant wait to hear more real world feedback on these. Hope to have the cruiser built up in time for my sizes to be available.

Bump to the thread.

Ive been looking for new tires, narrowing down the size now AND now looking at different brands. Currently I have BFGs AT and I love them BUT they lack the "flash" that other brands offer. -yes thats shallow-

But now the NEW ATs are coming out -wish I knew -exact day, anyone?- And they look the part with flash and all:
View attachment 932202

So my question: Do you guys think the "older-current" model will be discounted? I love them and I will bypass the flash for a discount. Any experience on this from past releases?
Otherwise I think these are all I want, they have the proven ride and now they look "tuff"

The current KO's are $70 less per tire then the KO2's.

BFG has an availability chart for the first 25 (announced) sizes now. http://social.bfgoodrichtires.com/BFG_KO2_Sizing+Availability.pdf

It's a bummer that the 285/75/16 size is the only one without out a price on their website! I'm thinking about either this tire or the 295/75/16 Toyo AT2 XT to replace my Duratracs soon. They're not worn, but I have ADD and would like something new.
Tire Rack is now showing the 285/75R16 as $236, the 315/75R16 as $240 vs MSRP $294 on BFG.

Just got some 285 75/r16 at costco. They wouldn't mount them on my 100 series since they were more than 2% bigger than stock. Price is pretty good $215 per tire. Going to get them mounted next weekend a buddy of mine who owns a side business mounting and balancing tires.

Just got some 285 75/r16 at costco. They wouldn't mount them on my 100 series since they were more than 2% bigger than stock. Price is pretty good $215 per tire. Going to get them mounted next weekend a buddy of mine who owns a side business mounting and balancing tires.

Costco is hit or miss - a few years back they installed some 35s on my Jeep Cherokee with no questions asked :meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom