New BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the update! When you say they were noticeably better, you're comparing them to the Cooper AT3s correct?
(AWD on 2 year old 285 Cooper AT3's)

yep :)

Did some testing a while back with the A/T3 versus the KO...the A/T3 were noticeably better for handling and directional stability versus the KO. Night and day in road/wet handling. The KO2 is a HUGE improvement over the older KO.

Tire technology keeps improving...a "fair" comparison would be the new Cooper A/TW versus the new BFG KO2. Someday...but my "guess" is they would be equal from a snow/ice standpoint. I'd lean to the A/TW for a true daily-driver/light offroader (like our GX470) and the KO2 for a daily-driver/more offroader like my FZJ80.

I am very impressed with how quiet the KO2 is on the highway...the KO's were quiet too, but not this quiet...I'm hearing new truck noises now :)

Excellent! (except for hearing new noises - sometimes a loud tire is nice for that LOL) If it's close in snow traction to the AT3 but is obviously far better off road yet remains quiet on the road and has good treadlife, it sounds like the tire will be a real winner. I've also been impressed they've kept the prices competitive as well because I almost figured they'd try to jack up the prices for a while since it's the first real upgrade to the legendary tire in so many years!

Excellent info, now I have to wait till march from the size I want to be available. I was debating between these, the AT3's and The Toyo Open Country ATII's. Been running Toyo MTs for a while on both the 80 and 100. Very happy with them, but they wear a lot faster and I don't really need an MT (over AT) tire for what I do.

I am really hoping we start seeing some user reviews of the KO2s that have been put through some real-world testing soon (snow and ice performance being what I haven't seen yet), but until then Fourwheeler has a new review: http://www.fourwheeler.com/product-reviews/1502-bfgoodrich-all-terrain-ko2-tire-test-baja-proven/

Sounds like this is just a review based on the industry testing/trials BFG hosted earlier this year (Baja cars and Raptors), but it is still interesting.

A couple quotes:
We are happy to report that the on-road manners of the KO2 are every bit as good as the old tire’s, and the build quality is just what you would expect from BFGoodrich in terms of construction and balancing. This was to be expected. The performance on dirt roads is also very good, as we were soon pitching them into corners at speeds well above normal. Cornering traction in the dirt seems much improved over the previous tire, which had a tendency to wash out once traction broke loose and would not return until enough cornering momentum and speed had been scrubbed off. The KO2s were surefooted and confident in hard-pack dirt and did an great job of floating on loose dirt, silt, and sand without digging in like a mud tire would do.
Though BFGoodrich claims a 10 percent increase in mud traction, we’d be willing to bet it is actually a lot more. Though the performance is probably still short of what you’d get with a dedicated mud tire, the we feel the KO2’s mud performance was the most improved feature over the KO.

We have snow and ice in Wisconsin...6" of snow predicted tonight...my personal testing on ice has left me impressed.

You have 315's correct? How about a pic of them on your 80?

Semi hijack - Anyone have images of 32" ATs on a 3rd Gen 4Runner with 2-3" lift?

EDIT - Hey to the guy above - you live like 4 miles from me. What the what.........

Though I have some relatively new 285/75-16 Toyo AT2s on my 100. I found myself with a set of 18" OE wheels that I've wanted forever.

Now I'm tire shopping again. I like the AT2s a lot. Since my 100 is no longer my daily driver, I'm considering going to more aggressive tires. I loved my Duratracs. I want 285/65-18, and Goodyear does not make the Duratrac in that size. Enter this new BFG. Though I hated the old BFG ATs, this one looks very appealing, literally - in looks as well as technology.

Has anyone got pics of these on a 100? a 100 with 18"s?

BTW, I'll be selling my Toyos and 16" wheels. PM if interested. I'll post an ad when all is ready to go.

Has anyone measured the actual dimensions on the 285/75r16?

I"ll let you know this week - just pulled the trigger on that exact tire today. Waiting on wheels to come out of the powder coating shop. Will report with pics/measurements once they are mounted.

Never mind, I bought the LT285/75r16 mid week and they measure right at 33" as best I can measure across tire. I put my spare 255/85r16 KM2 up against it and its really dang close to the same. The 255 is a smidge taller but didn't have the weight of the vehicle on it.

So we have had a solid week of rain and I thought it would be a good time to test out the KO2s in the mud. I went to some state OHV that is typically straight forward dirt roads when it dry. But it can be steep and when its wet the game completely changes. Before these KO2s I had 255/85 KM2s so my comparison is directly to a mud tire. As a baseline I choose to not deflate but instead run fully inflated road pressure.

To sum it up, the KO2 did just fine anywhere it wasn't pure clay. If there was any rock in the trail it did great. The only time I got stuck was in a short uphill that was pure clay. Not sure if a MT like the KM2 would have made it much easier as it was nasty.

20150316-083405.jpg

20150316-083415.jpg

20150316-083423.jpg

20150316-083435.jpg

20150316-083501.jpg

20150316-083510.jpg

20150316-083517.jpg

As a mud tire I think they are a 6/10. As an all around "all terrain" they are pretty danged good. I think I'll have to winch more than I used to with KM2s, but the trade off is better road manners and long life (I assume). So everything is a compromise and these are really good its seems. Even in the worst conditions they preformed well. Better than I expected actually.

Last edited:
Guy here in the club put on the Ko2's after running the old model KOs and can't stop raving about tem. Says the handling, ride, and tracking on road is the best he's ever felt.

There's that big of a difference between the cost of KM2 vs KO2 for that tire size? Interesting.

Yes, It was almost $400 cheaper for the KO2 in a 285/75r16 for a set of 4. I had to balance a lot of things i.e. cost, off road manners, on road manners, intended use, etc. and in the end I choose the KO2 for many reasons. I know I won't get the same mud performance, but to be honest the KM2s loose their mud performance as the tread depth decreases due to road miles. There is no right answer I guess. but I made my decision and I'll live with it for the life of the KO2. I plan on hitting Windrock later this week after we get some rain to try the KO2s aired down. I expect they will suck in the clay, but almost every tire does. I'll post back up when I get them back in the mud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom