Looking for Recommendations on Good Solid Engine Hoist (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Green Bean

GOLD Star
Threads
I tried using the search function but didn’t really see an answer… I will be attempting a 3 speed to 4 speed conversion and will be trying to pull the old trans/T-case combo and replace with the 4 speed combo. From what I have read, it seems that a hoist from above makes things easier. (I will be attempting this by myself). So, I sure would appreciate recommendations on a good, solid, safe engine hoist that I will be able to manoeuvre through the passenger-side door.
Thanks!

FWIW on my 70 I take the tcase off using a motorcycle jack from harbor freight, its reasonable cost and easy enough. Pick up the engine hoist there too, not the best but worked for lots of engine picks for me.

I've used both a hoist and trans lift. Hoist is a bit easier for me. I have a harbor freight hoist and it works just fine.

I have a very nice A frame I got for $50, that is almost as nice as the one I used at the home of the guy I bought Elsie from. I made a sketchy one using some structural shelving supports up on big firewood rounds with a 8' length of 4" angle iron across the gap. 2 ton come along did the lifting/lowering of the 1 piece assembly engine/tranny/transfer. I did it all myself.

My current one is about 5 times more heavy than this one. I have a 2 ton harbor china chain falls on the truck. I also bought a one of those adjustable tilt level units from HF (haven't used it yet)

In the past I used to get the driveline ready to pull then go and rent a hoist for a couple hours or 1/2 a day. Yrs later, I talked a friend into buying one so I didn't have to store it. Now I can borrow it anytime and for as long as I need it. It's a nice hoist, the legs fold up and has a smaller footprint for storage and can be taken apart by pulling pins so it can be easily thrown in a pickup. . Any more they all seem to be fairly generic in construction.

In the past I used to get the driveline ready to pull then go and rent a hoist for a couple hours or 1/2 a day. Yrs later, I talked a friend into buying one so I didn't have to store it. Now I can borrow it anytime and for as long as I need it. It's a nice hoist, the legs fold up and has a smaller footprint for storage and can be taken apart by pulling pins so it can be easily thrown in a pickup. . Any more they all seem to be fairly generic in construction.
Ha. Nothing better than talking a friend into buying and storing something that you need but will rarely use. Currently, I have my eyes on a Torin Big Red 2 Ton Engine Hoist that folds up for storage. The reviews seem satisfactory.

You might look on Craigslist or Marketplace. Folks get tired of storing them because of minimal use.

If you're only yanking the trans/tcase, just get a trans jack.....if you have a complete interior/top, a hoist will be a pain to navigate with seats, door frame in place. Once the cover is off, you can zap the bolts off quick and use the trans jack to support, that way you can focus on removal/reinstallation and guide it in. A hoist and chain will dance around a lot more.

Second FB/craigslist grab. Saves a lot of money unless you're in a bind.

If you're only yanking the trans/tcase, just get a trans jack.....if you have a complete interior/top, a hoist will be a pain to navigate with seats, door frame in place. Once the cover is off, you can zap the bolts off quick and use the trans jack to support, that way you can focus on removal/reinstallation and guide it in. A hoist and chain will dance around a lot more.

Second FB/craigslist grab. Saves a lot of money unless you're in a bind.
Thanks Nate. The approach that you outlined sounds so much simpler and has a good amount of appeal. Having never done this, I’ve been reading as much as I can. It seems on reinstalling the consensus was a hoist helps greatly. Also since I will be replacing the bell housing, pilot bearing and RMS, I’m not sure if having the tunnel off would make things easier.

My favorite cherry picker!!

5CB5105C-4327-44BA-AF7E-A41404E47EB2.png

For my '75 w/2F and 4 speed, I used a HF cherry picker to remove the motor, transmission, and transfer case together as a unit. To re-install it, I found it easier to install the engine first. Then place the transmission and transfer case underneath the car and use that same cherry picker to raise them up through the transmission tunnel access (take the cover off) and re-attach them to the motor. Your mileage may vary.

For my '75 w/2F and 4 speed, I used a HF cherry picker to remove the motor, transmission, and transfer case together as a unit. To re-install it, I found it easier to install the engine first. Then place the transmission and transfer case underneath the car and use that same cherry picker to raise them up through the transmission tunnel access (take the cover off) and re-attach them to the motor. Your mileage may vary.
Thanks.

i bough the HARBOR FREIGHT monster ...

i like it

pulled a 2F long block and 4 speed and case

it was safe steady and easy to control

i keep it outdoors , wrapped in 3 tarps under cover

ZERO issues for like 10+ years

price was in my price point , i have zero regrets

I also bought the same engine stand mark

This was the highest end and most heavy duty at the time

Long block 2F no problems !!!

I don’t give a dam where it was made , as often as I use it , it’s good quality …bottom line

mat

B3615768-76C6-4876-B461-95A08AFE44BB.jpeg
217FDB02-68CB-499F-AB85-11626E93A2C3.jpeg
273582F6-C91F-4C8A-9BA9-CC0AA1D17D80.jpeg

... I have my eyes on a Torin Big Red 2 Ton Engine Hoist that folds up for storage. The reviews seem satisfactory.

I bought this one used from someone in the neighborhood after the :princess: got tired of tripping over it, in their garage. Very good and robust unit. I've used it quite a bit. I also had the HF 2-Ton and that worked fine, too, but someone stole it (really) out of my driveway. :bang: eh, that's Los Angeles. 🤷‍♂️

Whatever you do, if you get a hoist, make sure it's at least a 2 Ton.

I third the motion of looking on local Graig's List first.

I think that they are all pretty much the same

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom