Follow up on Split rim & Tyre swap for solid steels.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
l mentioned in another thread l was trying to get a hold of A/T tyres that will carry both truck & around a tonne (4T+). l spoke with Continental directly as they're the parent company of 'General' regards the 225x70x15 Grabbers l bought which have a 102 rating (800kg), and l've seen Grabbers with a load capacity of 1 & 1.2 tonne online, but they're not available in the UK (another brexit bonus :bang:) . Do you guys have any ideas on which tyres l could go with taking into consideration the trucks being used on A/T at home & l want something with good walling due to the flint that comes off the hills onto the track...?

Ideas appreciated...

I have general grabbers on my f150. They have been good tires for me - I have never had to chain them up. Back in the 90's a friend with a fj40 bought some sort of bead to bead steel belt tires because he was worried about sidewall damage. Seems to me your best option is to see what the local tire people can do for you. I have a friend that bought some tires online, one was bad and I don't think it worked out well for him - when you have a local outfit its a lot easier to get in their face so to speak. Good luck.

Not sure about loading, but if you're running split steels then be wary that the bead profile is different from tubeless.. check the detail on the rim and tyre.

I'm running split 60 series rims with super hajari tyres - original fitment in South Africa and seen pretty tough, im driving on Bristol roads, though I guess you're not far away across the bridge if you're encountering flint on tracks?

20230629_123117.jpg

20230720_174125.jpg

I have general grabbers on my f150. They have been good tires for me - I have never had to chain them up. Back in the 90's a friend with a fj40 bought some sort of bead to bead steel belt tires because he was worried about sidewall damage. Seems to me your best option is to see what the local tire people can do for you. I have a friend that bought some tires online, one was bad and I don't think it worked out well for him - when you have a local outfit its a lot easier to get in their face so to speak. Good luck.
l spoke to a local old school tyre guy & mentioned l was thinking abt grabbers before l bought them.. he agreed with the reviews l'd read they're good tyres. After they arrived l went down with them & showed him, he was surprised at the low load rating on them.(800kg each).. l mentioned l'd a set of Lassa's a/t come with the 15 solid steel rims l bought with (850kg load rating) he says they're 'ok' as tyres go.. the walls on the Lassa's are tougher than the grabbers (& they've 8mm of tread on them), so l'm thinking l'll return the grabbers buy a spare Lassa (1/2 the price) for a part worn 1 with tracking wear.....and go from there & do more research. l'm more concerned with the tyres getting wall damage l've seen effect 1st hand...gouges/slashed-deep cuts...in the wall of tyres on an old truck l had previously.. (using BF's). l'm back at the tyre guy next week to get the Lassa's fitted... l'll have him search out some 1T/1.2T alternatives if he can find them...

Not sure about loading, but if you're running split steels then be wary that the bead profile is different from tubeless.. check the detail on the rim and tyre.

I'm running split 60 series rims with super hajari tyres - original fitment in South Africa and seen pretty tough, im driving on Bristol roads, though I guess you're not far away across the bridge if you're encountering flint on tracks?

View attachment 3616730

View attachment 3616731
l managed to find 15' steels & have had them refurbed (my local tyre shops don't do split rims anymore)...my concern is sidewall damage to the 15' tyres.. l have flint 'rocks' roll down the hills onto the track & splinter...my nearest neighbour gets punctures alot & he uses a/t tyres... l noticed 2 days ago the Dunlop Road Grippers on my truck are taking a battering with the terrain so l'm hoping to avoid them getting punctured. Before l swap to the solid steels..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom