Look what I found.... 1961 FJ40 FST (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i've been following the rumoured existence of this old example for some time. finally tracked it down and handed over the obligatory carton of beer purchase price. there's lots to like; and lots not to like; but there's lots of it there; and as you all knowthey always look so much better once you get them home!
20140515_130943.jpg

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or does the VIN start 1FJ42~? It is clearing a very old cruiser. Even as early as 61 the spare was on the opposite side. Notice the reflector mounted on the spare tire carrier. I'm wondering if the tire carrier on my 68 might have meant for Australia, not the whole carrier just the part the rim bolts to. It has the holes for a reflector. Doesn't make sense in the US because the hub caps were standard. Not even sure they were even a option in Australia. It has the hardest part of the factory bows to make. The rest should be easy using later 40 bows. While bend it still has the correct front bumper, hard to find. The stamped bezel alone is worth way more than what you had to pay. Curious on the wheels, 16"? Those are hard to find. If they are 16" would be curious how wide they were in Australia in 61.

Glad to see the old girl be saved by someone who will appreciate her.

@ 'Living in the Past' your #202 did that have body colored rims?

I'm not sure Johnny. They are pretty rusty, I had the tires removed before towing it back from Washington. The wheels ended up being stored under my cabin. Remember them being date stamped for the correct time period but never researched the paint. The rust may be too bad. I do know the cruiser was originally white with the outside repainted red. Since early April I've only been able to get up there to check on the place. I did at that time pulled out a couple of tailgates to check the fit inside the tub of cruiser with ambulance doors for another thread. Next time I get a change to get up there hopefully I'll remember to check the rims.

Bezel and at least most of the bows is worth it right there

yea there's lots to like!
this tojo was given to a farm in the 70s by the then owner (im told now deceased) when he had finished with it as a general hack for the kids of the day. was one of these 'kids' (who now owns the farm) who i bought it from. was another of the 'kids' who gave me the lead. it took a little time to track it down. i'm told it was parked up sometime in the 70s with a gearbox issue.

but......there is lots not to like. this thing is rusty. unfortunately has been left full of rubbish and old hessian bags so straight as it is there is no floor to speak of from the seats to the tailgate.

the trans cover has been discarded and there is a homemade bar operating the vacuum 2x4 shifter. this operates but doesn't feel to engage. the column shift rods are siezed at their lower mount and the box stuck in gear. the original carby has been swapped out for a stromberg unit though the original was in the glovebox. kids have smashed the screen, dash, and to my great disapointment even the carb sight glass in the glovebox! anyone have one of these haha? 20140519_163827.jpg 20140519_164008.jpg 20140519_164008.jpg

20140519_163827.jpg

yea double the rust and smashed glass i suppose ; anyway you get the picture

is definately fj40 though does look like fj42 in some light
the rims are 15 inch. they are painted body colour but this thing may have been resprayed. i found a 5th rim on the same tip that may or may not belong to this but it is black. the seat frames and the dash facia are body colour also
the one existing front indicator is not double sided., probably a later replacement however my 1962 fj45 backburner project has double sided indicators but they are not screw in types like the american ones they are the 3 screw lense type both sides. i mentioned this in another thread with pics once but it is an oddity
the chassis is useable but rough in places
the dash has the holes and screws in place for the tyre pressure info plate i think
the motor is a 1960 build block with the dinky fj25 type bottom pulley

and as for clean the plugs and find some fresh fuel..... im getting onto that

Believe it or not the glass in the carburetor is probably not that hard to find. Glass for the windscreen was still available new not that long ago. Might want to check into that now. Weatherstripping was not. The mid 65 thru 74 model weatherstripping was still available even though the glass wasn't. It would have to be trimmed but will work. Looks like this either didn't have a back seat or a bench seat. The jump seats had a mounting on the front of the wheel well. Not on this one or hole for the legs ontop of the wheel well. The 61 shared the same design rear floor as FJ25. 62 had the U shaped ribs. Looks like it missing the gas cap. The tank from up to 72 can be made to work pretty easy. The gas caps are like hens teeth to find. If you still have the original transmission be sure to hang onto it. Even if you find a replace chances are it will be for a LHD cruiser. The shifters come out the wrong side of the transmission for RHD. Because of the rareness of this early 40 it should be restored as close as possible to original. Guessing that will be harder to do in Australia then the US. Besides the harder life they has as work vehicles as compared to recreational use in the US you are also dealing with the fact some had locally made bodies from the cowl back making good donor harder to find.

The fact that in all the years of Mud's existence no one has ever posted a FJ40 vin number below 10100 is strong evidence that Toyota started numbering FJ40s with 10100, not 10000, which if true means that you own the 25th (not the 125th) FJ40 ever made. Even better bragging rights!

Congratulations on the mission. You found a treasure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom