long travel front shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am at the tail end of a spring over and shackle reversal on my 67 fj40. I am retubing an fj60 front shaft in the rear, and am undecided for the front. I thought about the square tube front, but the biggest complaint I have read is getting hung up on the corners of the box tube.

I have seen the kits offered from marlin and trail-gear, are there other DIY kits that people have used? Any idea how much slip shaft I should be looking at? The marlin is 8, the trail gear is 12. If 8 is enough (insert bad TV show joke here) I will buy from marlin. $200 is a bit more appetizing than the $350 plus to have one made.

WOuld a 60 shaft be enough slip for the front?

normaly on a 40 with a SR you will need more than the 60 or minitruck joint..

the only way to know is get it on an articulation ramp and measure it compressed and extended out..

call jesse at hiangle driveline, these guys dont mess around.

I got mine from Jesse at Highangle Driveline. 12 inch slip joint. Was much less than $350 since I sent him the old cruiser shaft and he welded in the new slip joint.

David Sword

Same here. Took my old shaft and about $180 to add a long slip joint. Works perfectly. I think the slip section is 18 inches or so, but most of it is telescoped inside the shaft and about 4 inches of spline are available for compression and the rest for extension. It also added a grease resivoir for the slip joint which should prolong it's life.

I will give high angle a shout. Thanks.

must have been a while ago. Just got off the phone with them, real nice guys, btw. With a core, they are around $279. Probably still worth it, and much cheaper than a custom shaft. Still might try the DIY kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom