LED DRL and High Beam for LX and LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

first and second pic was before any resistor(s) was/ were installed.. That's why it looks a little bright. Some people might not be fond of the idea of leaving it on the back end of things, and only using one. BUT, I would let it be here all things considering. You could by all means install one for each bulb under a bumper or somewhere. I've only relt it run in high beam for ten minutes, and daytime running light by itself for another ten minutes.
I can give results on which and how much, either two, or one, next week. I'm sure there's someone out there who has already done this, I couldn't find it though.
I think Lou is alluding to the fact you can run high beam LED and regular low beam bulbs with one set of crossovers and if you have HIDs for low beams then this one would work fine when complete.

Last edited:
The latest update....@jerryb has finalized two harnesses for the LED DRL/High Beam bulb.
One for those who have retrofitted an HID projector in the low beam location and one for those that are retaining a halogen bulb in the low beam location. Jerry is currently running the Morimoto 2Stroke and I have a coworker with an LX that will test the Halogen/LED harness. Something else we have discovered is the LC 9005 high beam socket is not a mirror image between the two lights. Which means the 2Stroke light element will not align straight up and down with out a slight modification so we are testing the Extreme LED from XenonDepot that can be clocked.
We want this mod to be a simple plug and play and have options for both trucks...
These beauties are waiting for the OEM style connectors to arrive.

74FBE4FF-4130-44D9-B9D7-DE48CFA18D2E.jpeg

Last edited:
LED DRL has happened but Jerry’s on his way to Mardi Gras so I’m hoping he remembers how he achieved this. I’m not about to try and explain the wiring process because I can’t😳
I’ll just described the photos, The first picture is the LED daytime running light.... the second is the LED daytime running light with parking lights ....the third is low beams and the fourth is high beams. This set up is currently wired for those running HID projectors and might require a different setup to work with the stock halogens.
The plan is to make a couple harnesses and run them in our trucks for a bit before bringing these to market

View attachment 1917349

View attachment 1917350

View attachment 1917365

View attachment 1917366
In this configuration, is there a difference in the high-beam bulp/LED brightness between running them in the DRL mode vs. running them in the "high-beam" mode?

...in the pictures, they appear to be at the same brightness in all the time.

EDIT: Wow, this was my 1,000th post! :) Should have made it more impactful!

Last edited:
first off, please don't buy either of these just on my opinion. All it is is an opinion.

I installed and tested the xtreme LED pro 9005, they work fine. You don't need the DRL extra driver, just the regular drivers they come with.
They are easy to rotate to a perpendicular position, or any other position.
They are a little tighter fit, almost too much so. They need silicone grease without a doubt around the oring. (their o ring groove is smaller than morimitos) -how the hell does that happen and have the same oring?

They are brighter in DTL mode, probably too bright imho, high beam seems the same as morimoto brightness wise. I think they have the same chips anyway.
There isn't a fan, just the fins. I'm sure they get just as hot as the morimoto body does. so more stuff down there to keep track of.
Either way, both sets, morimoto and the xtreme pro area a pain in the ass to install.

The vibration of the morimoto fan is significant in high beam mode. It's not going to wobble out or anything, it's there though, you can hear it with your car running. It is variable and in DTL mode it's not a big deal.
They most likely will require taking the headlight out and alter your base, and or plastic ring.

The xtreme won't make you take your headlight out, maybe. They take up more space and more things down there will come in contact with your wiring.
Almost for that reason alone I prefer the morimoto. Either way though, both are doable, If I had started with the xtreme and checked out the other a week later I'd probably prefer the xtreme.
I like the xtreme better. Their base mount (tabs) are better, 5 minute to turn both and install, just a little more fiddling.

I prefer the morimoto.
The bases of both bulbs get up to the same temp, the fins on the one set don't get hot after 25 minutes on high beam, just a little warm. The bases though I measure at 125°F
Everything above is based on LC reflectors. LX might have some small changes are far as install goes.

IMG_20190314_105223_1.jpg

Last edited:
In this configuration, is there a difference in the high-beam bulp/LED brightness between running them in the DRL mode vs. running them in the "high-beam" mode?

yes

...in the pictures, they appear to be at the same brightness in all the time.

read post 21, here's back to back though.

IMG_20190314_114128.jpg

IMG_20190314_114244.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I did learn a few things... @jerryb knows his stuff and has this figured out but he hates taking pictures... I live in Va and he’s in Louisiana so it’s not like I can run over there and shoot the pictures.... so I’ve basically been brow beating him over the phone to give me the pictures that I want 😳
He’s also started to make harnesses and I have OEM style connectors on the way from China for the resistors as OEM connectors are really expensive. For the Land Cruiser’s that do not have a factory DRL resistor.... Jerry is working on a solution but it will require a slightly different setup.
The first picture is the LED DRL and the second is the high beam LED... Jerry covered his HID projectors for that shot. I asked him to shoot a few daytime shots of the DRL which I’ll post tomorrow

CA088C8D-9F46-4950-8E91-F326CE641B12.jpeg

BBF22A9B-8E98-4690-A0D9-74A0400C6643.jpeg

Last edited:
We feel pretty comfortable that we have this worked out. Jerry has to test the new resistor and is pretty busy making harnesses. These will be on my site as a complete kit when Jerry gives me the green light. I'm also finalizing a D2S LX470 retrofit for a Mudder in Ca. and will shoot a few pictures of the 2Stroke LED DRL/High Beam in my truck before shipping them. Jerry's Land Cruiser is below

fullsizeoutput_2487.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2488.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2489.jpeg

So what's the current ETA? Is there an estimate on pricing (sorry if I missed it)

So what's the current ETA? Is there an estimate on pricing (sorry if I missed it)
We could have the first 17 kits ready inside of 2 weeks. I'll have pricing set sometime next week

Love that you're doing this. Just to clarify, the install of these does not require opening the housing?

I'll have the first 16 harnesses here on Wed but I'm waiting for OEM style connectors to arrive. We have sparked the interested of TRS wh most likely produce the harness in the future but those talks should resume this week and we'll have to test the harness once they make it. So far everything has worked perfectly without any issues other then waiting for parts to arrive and my main man Jerry went back to work, so harness production from him will slow down. The 2Strokes are for sale on my site and I'm hopping to have the harnesses and resistors for sale shortly. Most of the harnesses will be for those running HID's .. I'll list how many of each Thursday or Friday with pricing and start a list of those interested.

Sorry for the delay but the final test in the LX is complete and the OEM style connectors arrived today. We are very close to start selling a limited quantity and will create a thread that’s dedicated for sales and links to purchase.. I know you’ll ask, so the price for the kit which will included the 2Stroke bulbs, new resistor and harness is $189.00. As a TRS dealer I can only discount the lights when TRS does. The current retail for the 2Stroke LED is $135.00 I’ll update this thread when the kit is for sale
In the output shot the DRL appears to be just as bright as the high beam but the are not. I had to stand off center for the high beam shot to reduce the glare

4BE777FF-5DD2-4703-BA08-112289EFA99C.jpeg

9DB531C4-3864-4302-91FC-3D56EC0688A6.jpeg

For crystal clarity, this harness and bulbs will work for bone stock housings and trucks from 98-07?

I currently like my high beams, but would like some LED treatment for daytime driving as it looks cleaner.

Is high beam output on par or better then OEM HIR 9011's?

Thanks!

bone stock 03??-07 with either the stock resistor in place or the one that was part of the tsb for lx.

If your headlight circuit looks like this then it/they will work fine.

Basically any car that has the same headlight circuit as below. IF you have the same circuit but do not have a stock resistor you could modify the DRL relay by adding Lou's resistor on the ground terminal A3 (pretty easy to do, I took mine apart and checked)

IMG_3203.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom