New LED headlight- no high beam (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All. Recently installed some headlight housings from landcruisergrilles on my ‘99 and they look sharp. Picked up some 7 inch LEDs from Uni-Shine on the Amazon, got them in, connected with the pigtails that came with the housings and ……driver side high beam won’t light up. I know it’s not a defective light, as the high beam will light up if I connect it to passenger side. The pigtails that came with the lights themselves are a 3 pin to an H4, but the LC has 2 pin connectors (which is probably why landcruisergrilles sent their own pigtails with the housings). Anyone run into this issue with an LED install and did you find a fix?

For high beam light, when used for DRL, RH side light polarity will be reversed.

the wire color code for high beam lights when using in high beam mode:
LH: W-R: NEG, R-G: POS
RH: W-R: NEG, R-Y: POS
two lights are in parallel. The neg for both lights are connected to ground.

for DRL mode:
LH: W-R: NEG, R-G: POS
RH: W-R: POS, R-Y: NEG
two lights are in serial and the neg for RH is connected to running light resistor.

1706637347319.png

When using LED lights, the LED should have automatic polarity switching function, or else it won't work for DRL.
Also the LED needs to be with wide input voltage range, for example, 3V-15V, or else it won't work for DRL.
However if the LED is installed with correct polarity for high beam, it doesn't require all these. it should work for normal high beam with any 12V LED on market.
I suggest just remove the Running light resistor to completely disable the DRL function when using LED. (it can save space for 2nd battery or air pump as well)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom