High beam relay trigger (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I'm looking for a high beam relay trigger wire for my 2007 LX. I can't tie it directly to the high beams, as the DRL run through the high beam bulbs (at lower voltage), and I'd like to preserve DRL. There must be a wire I can tap, either under the dash or hood, that can trigger my relay. Purpose is to disable auxiliary lighting except with high beams are on. I'm bad at reading wiring diagrams, but trying to learn.

Any help is really appreciated!

On the wiring diagram, I see a green-orange signal wire at Junction Box 5. J/B No. 5 says "behind the combination meter". I've pulled the instrument cluster and looked deep under the dash and can't find it. It looks pretty large too--3 plugs on one end, 1 on the other. Any ideas?

Attachments

• jb5.pdf
    19.1 KB · Views: 35
  • jb52.pdf
    62.5 KB · Views: 23
  • jb53.pdf
    17.2 KB · Views: 37
assuming you want full battery voltage, use the red green on high beam connector on driver's side. Body ecu has one also.
the wiring book is cheap on ebay.
trust me that that wire is the easiest if you're going to use that as a signal for another relay you want to mount close to the battery.
buy one cheap 9005 splitter off amazon and use it on the drivers side 9005.
your dtrl will still be finctional.

Thanks for the reply. Won't my DRL still power my relay when they are on (and also when high beams are on?)

Wait. I think it's red white, the other side. I"m usually standing in front wiring left.
I could be all wrong but I think it's correct.
It's been 5 years. I'd check it real quick before actual wiring.
I'm recalling it from the daytime running light harness.
1705270896833.png

Last edited:
I feel really dumb. I think I was confused because several threads, people were wiring aux lights directly to high beam (via relay, without a dash switch). They didn't want their aux lights coming on via DRL. It didn't register that at night, my DRL aren't running, so that relay will work just fine. During the day, when the DRL are still giving the relay 12v, it doesn't matter, because I'm not using my light bar anyways.

edit: minor electrical brainfart

Last edited:
I'd avoid the whole thing and run a switch to the cab If I was using a relay.
Don't feel dumb. It's a complicated set up as is.

I know a 9005 splitter on one side or the other will be fine for a stalk high beam relay trigger.
Body ecu in the cab has one also.

For clarity to future mudders, here's my setup. I have a 6 switch overhead panel connected to a 6-relay box under the hood. These relays activate my light bar, fogs, and rock lights (with future provisions for ditch lights, compressor, etc..). These relays are activated by +12v from the switches.

I'm using a high beam relay to deactivate the ground to those relays (ground to pin 30->deactivated relay grounds on pin 87a). That way, when high beams are on, the aux light relays lose ground and are turned off. That means I'll also have no aux lights when the DRL are on--not really an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom