KISS Drawers (Keep It Simple Storage) For 100 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I never found out how much Dave charged, but I suppose you are probably right.

I hope nobody thought I was disparaging you Andy or ADGU. I am really excited that you guys are around and doing well. Your products look very high quality. Just a little out of my range at the moment. I would love to get a price on a drawer-less single cubby. Especially if it allows a drawer to be added down the road. I can reply to your email or you could PM me.

Thanks for chiming in Geoff and for texting with me earlier. I really like how yours turned out. It still blows my mind that a single drawer could cost $600 in parts alone. If that is even close to accurate, and the fact that I have no woodworking tools or skills, I better just save my pennies for something premade, or used.
This was my parts list in ~April 2021. Lumber costs were astronomical at the time. My cost was $472.76, not including the 12V outlets I added, but the parts that are required to build a reef drawer was more like $300-350. I don't have my cut sheets for the plywood but I used pretty much all of one sheet and a portion of a second sheet - if you were doing two drawers you probably would need 3 sheets total, not 4. (And probably 3 yards of carpet).

Reef-equivalent partsSellerCost
(2) 4x8 sheets Baltic Birch BB/CP plywoodMenards$ 139.97
20-series and 10-series extruded aluminum railstnutz.com$ 81.95
1" UHMW tapeAmazon$ -
countersink drill bitsAmazon$ -
60 tooth circ saw blade and 20 TPI jigsaw bladeAmazon$ -
(2) 270 degree hingesAmazon$ 30.58
1/4"x4"x48" UHMW sheetAmazon$ 22.52
(2) M6 x 60mm, (1) M6 x 50mm flat head torx boltsBelMetric.com$ 10.00
Husky 600# cargo tie-downs, flanged 6mm T-nutsHome Depot$ 10.00
m5/m6 screws and t-nutsAmazon$ 45.66
Subtotal$ 340.68
Extra parts
(2) paddle latchesAmazon$ 20.04
tie downs/boltsAmazon$ 15.00
2yd x 80" Carpet (Superflex medium neutral SF2015)Albright's$ 52.72
DAP Weldwood contact cement + 4" brushHome Depot$ 44.32
$ 472.76

This was my parts list in ~April 2021. Lumber costs were astronomical at the time. My cost was $472.76, not including the 12V outlets I added, but the parts that are required to build a reef drawer was more like $300-350. I don't have my cut sheets for the plywood but I used pretty much all of one sheet and a portion of a second sheet - if you were doing two drawers you probably would need 3 sheets total, not 4. (And probably 3 yards of carpet).

Reef-equivalent partsSellerCost
(2) 4x8 sheets Baltic Birch BB/CP plywoodMenards$ 139.97
20-series and 10-series extruded aluminum railstnutz.com$ 81.95
1" UHMW tapeAmazon$ -
countersink drill bitsAmazon$ -
60 tooth circ saw blade and 20 TPI jigsaw bladeAmazon$ -
(2) 270 degree hingesAmazon$ 30.58
1/4"x4"x48" UHMW sheetAmazon$ 22.52
(2) M6 x 60mm, (1) M6 x 50mm flat head torx boltsBelMetric.com$ 10.00
Husky 600# cargo tie-downs, flanged 6mm T-nutsHome Depot$ 10.00
m5/m6 screws and t-nutsAmazon$ 45.66
Subtotal$ 340.68
Extra parts
(2) paddle latchesAmazon$ 20.04
tie downs/boltsAmazon$ 15.00
2yd x 80" Carpet (Superflex medium neutral SF2015)Albright's$ 52.72
DAP Weldwood contact cement + 4" brushHome Depot$ 44.32
$ 472.76
This is a fantastic resource post for anyone brave enough to take on this project. If I don’t have a drawer (or two) in the next couple years, maybe I’ll take up more projects like this. Thank you for sharing these details.

I never found out how much Dave charged, but I suppose you are probably right.

I hope nobody thought I was disparaging you Andy or ADGU. I am really excited that you guys are around and doing well. Your products look very high quality. Just a little out of my range at the moment. I would love to get a price on a drawer-less single cubby. Especially if it allows a drawer to be added down the road. I can reply to your email or you could PM me.

Thanks for chiming in Geoff and for texting with me earlier. I really like how yours turned out. It still blows my mind that a single drawer could cost $600 in parts alone. If that is even close to accurate, and the fact that I have no woodworking tools or skills, I better just save my pennies for something premade, or used.

Oh, no offense taken in the slightest. We make a high-tier option that supports the "buy once cry once" mantra and that's always going to garner some price-related comments. All good.

Many of our customers have had another drawer set in the past and disliked the corners that were cut when it was made. Some are DIY or just entry-level carpeted steel and plywood "big brand" setups. We're working very hard to be the *last* storage system somebody buys and something you can be proud to show off. A low price tag isn't compatible with that goal and we're ok with that.

Going the DIY route for fun is a great idea if you've got the time and know-how. Going the DIY route to save $ seems less likely to yield positive results, pending the price tag you put on your own time and your quality expectations.

This is a fantastic resource post for anyone brave enough to take on this project. If I don’t have a drawer (or two) in the next couple years, maybe I’ll take up more projects like this. Thank you for sharing these details.
Thanks. Wish I'd kept my scribbled cut sheet and instructions I did on graph paper so I could share them. They were like 3 levels below something you'd find on Instructibles.com. That said anyone should be able to work them out. My drawer exterior measures 10.5H x 20W x 42D on the bottom and 40D on the top. BB plywood is 1/2" thick and the extruded aluminum rails are 20mm. The rest is just fun with math(tm)

Thanks. Wish I'd kept my scribbled cut sheet and instructions I did on graph paper so I could share them. They were like 3 levels below something you'd find on Instructibles.com. That said anyone should be able to work them out. My drawer exterior measures 10.5H x 20W x 42D on the bottom and 40D on the top. BB plywood is 1/2" thick and the extruded aluminum rails are 20mm. The rest is just fun with math(tm)
Excellent addition for future generations. 🤪

Do I see a “tm” there at the end there? 😂😂

I paid just under $900 shipped for two drawers. Air down drawers are super nice but man $2700 is definitely no where near affordable for two drawers. Have u looked at the ARB, Dobinson, or DFG Off-road Drawers? Those might hit your budget.
Those are basically two extremes in your first two sentences for sure. ARB seems surprisingly affordable. I haven't done a survey, but at least one person told me they purchased their Dobinson drawers a couple years ago and wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

I've never heard of DFG Off-road, but after pulling up their website, I am extremely intrigued and hopeful that they could be my solution until I have a little more funding for a higher end drawer system. I thought I had found just about every option, but that always seems to be incorrect. Thank you so much for sharing.

I've never heard of DFG Off-road, but after pulling up their website, I am extremely intrigued and hopeful that they could be my solution until I have a little more funding for a higher end drawer system. I thought I had found just about every option, but that always seems to be incorrect. Thank you so much for sharing.
Warning, I’ve ordered a couple of things (not drawers) from DFG, and the products were OK, but fulfillment was extremely slow.

Warning, I’ve ordered a couple of things (not drawers) from DFG, and the products were OK, but fulfillment was extremely slow.
Thanks for the heads up. I am actually happy to hear that's the main issue. I am about to email the company right now and ask a few questions.

Does anyone else have experience with DFG or Dobinson drawers?

I finished mine with black exterior paint from Lowes. I rolled it on over primer after sanding to 220 with a ROS. I painted the outside of the case and drawer fronts. I finished the drawers in clear shellac, because it cheap, durable, and easy to reapply. I kept the drawer interiors bright this way. The inside of the drawers got some cheap tool box liner and a second layer marine carpet. I decide not to glue these in. It’s easy to clean this way and will be easy to replace if it gets ruined.
View attachment 3029712
Laying out carpet, but shot shows case painted. Two coats and it was good to go. I removed wing supports and hardware, I taped the aluminum bits. I didn’t paint before assembling since LSO says it may make fitting too tight.
View attachment 3029704test fit before carpet. You can see the drawers are bright.
View attachment 3029707
Carpet edge is aluminum L track from lowes.

View attachment 3029710
It’s easy to touch up, I just use a black paint pen, or a sharpie.
View attachment 3029711
Paint code.
Thank you for posting this information. I went the same route.

Just need some carpet and angled aluminum.

PXL_20240118_231213130.MP.jpg

PXL_20240118_231218495.jpg

I guess I’m fortunate to have a set of Landshark drawers. They’re simple, fit very well and are highly effective. For the cost I couldn’t make anything as good as they are. Dave had these dialed in.
Is he still making these - I cant seem to reach him.

this business is no longer open. Details are in the thread.

Is he still making these - I cant seem to reach him.
As stated in the thread and @PNWTreeOctopus said, sadly they are no longer around.

@suprarx7nut has a good option at Vehicle Storage, Sleeping and Cooking Solutions - Air Down Gear Up - http://store.airdowngearup.com/ It's a high quality one.

For my situation at this time, I went with DFG Offroad's option for a single. It's certainly not on the same level as @suprarx7nut's setup, but for a budget drawer, I am happy so far.

If you're handy, @linuxgod has a good amount of details he's shared to make your own set like he did.

Last edited:
As stated in the thread and @PNWTreeOctopus said, sadly they are no longer around.

@suprarx7nut has a good option at Vehicle Storage, Sleeping and Cooking Solutions - Air Down Gear Up - http://store.airdowngearup.com/ It's a high quality one.

For my situation at this time, I went with DFG Offroad's option for a single. It's certainly not on the same level as @suprarx7nut's setup, but for a budget drawer, I am happy so far.

If you're handy, @linuxgod has a good amount of details he's shared to make your own set like he did.
Yeah it’s not very hard to do if you’re patient, but it’s several hundred bucks to build a decent drawer. 4x8 Baltic birch, 80/20 rails, etc and you’d be surprised how quickly it turns into $300+ per drawer.

I wish I’d taken photos of my cut sheet for the drawer I built. If you’ve never tried to build something like this before my pro tips are 1) you may end up +/- 1” due to overlap of the edges so plan carefully and measure multiple times, 2) have a really good fine tooth saw blade, and 3) cardboard is great for templating curves.

Yeah it’s not very hard to do if you’re patient, but it’s several hundred bucks to build a decent drawer. 4x8 Baltic birch, 80/20 rails, etc and you’d be surprised how quickly it turns into $300+ per drawer.

I wish I’d taken photos of my cut sheet for the drawer I built. If you’ve never tried to build something like this before my pro tips are 1) you may end up +/- 1” due to overlap of the edges so plan carefully and measure multiple times, 2) have a really good fine tooth saw blade, and 3) cardboard is great for templating curves.
Yep and yep...in final stages of my drawer build before moving on to the second row storage. Measure, draw it out, measure again, then cut out the cardboard, trim, test fit and measure again before cutting your wood. It's been fun and I'd definitely do it again.

20240324_135659.jpg

20240325_121932.jpg

20240325_142852.jpg

Yep and yep...in final stages of my drawer build before moving on to the second row storage. Measure, draw it out, measure again, then cut out the cardboard, trim, test fit and measure again before cutting your wood. It's been fun and I'd definitely do it again.

View attachment 3593727

View attachment 3593732

View attachment 3593736

What was your attachment method at the front of the second row mount? I am doing something similar but with the larger seat in and the smaller seat removed.

Thanks for the kind words!

KISS was a lower priced product at a time when we were selling even more expensive systems at a loss [unknowingly for many quarters]. I'm very grateful community members here pushed us hard to go upmarket and just make everything better and let the price go where it needed to. That definitely saved our business.

The army of people screaming for low cost will pull a business into the grave...

What was your attachment method at the front of the second row mount? I am doing something similar but with the larger seat in and the smaller seat removed.
Those are the mounting bolts for the seat. The other 2 are in the front near the floor board. I think I have a Pic of both...

Also this is on a 200. Buddy has a 100 that had a similar bolt location.

20240113_150806.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom