Is this a good deal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserkreutz

SILVER Star
Threads
I found this 1982 SR5 long bed truck for sale that I think is a good deal, but I'm not sure. I am normally in the FJ40 section so I'm not super familiar with these trucks... Just seeing what you all think. Here is the low down;

112k miles
5 Speed
Air conditioning works
All original everything, even radio, floor mats and paint
Body has a couple of small dings in it (sorry, no picture)
Has 1 small spot of rust under the plastic bed liner (sorry, no picture). No rust anywhere else
Missing small carpet bottoms on the doors
Runs and drives great
Selling for $6995 OBO

I'm really not in the market for a truck, just saw this and fell in love. What say you?

Thanks

1447808816532.jpg

1447808833324.jpg

1447808894761.jpg

It's about right if no rust. This trucks are getting hard to find in decent condition. Prices seem to be increasing lately . Good luck with your decision.

Wow prices on these have really increased... I bought one (looked just like this, even tan) for $500. It was rusty but everything worked as well.

I suppose if it has 112k original miles... maybe? If it has the radio and the inside isn't trashed it might be worth it.

I would ask if the timing chain has ever been replaced and get a feel for what other maintenance was done. They are sweet little trucks.

I'm with @msahr, the last two of these I owned I bought for under $900. Granted their interior's were approaching trashed and there was something mechanical wrong with them.

Interior I'd rate an 8 out of 10. Has original unblemished glass, perfect dash, original radio and bottle jack. Only interior defects I saw was missing door bottom carpet trim pieces (see original post) and the drivers seat has a few cracks in it.
Has been in the family since new (seller's dad bought it brand new).

Has a new muffler and rebuilt transmission (5th gear was noisy from factory according to owner).

Has been garaged it's whole life except for the last 2 years.

I would think it's difficult to compare this to trucks that were purchased for under $1,000 that were "rusty" or had mechanical problems..?

Is it worth it? That depends. Personally I'd never pay that much. But u bought mine in worse shape then 2 and have put more then I'll admit to. It's what you think. Some of us would never spend that much but if it's what you want and you think it's a good buy then do it. But for 6k I could buy a new truck with less problems. At 112k you're just getting there when all the issues arise from it being all stock.

I see you are I Oregon.maybe they are plenty in your area. I'm in the east coast,in this part of the country these trucks are nonexistent. People want good money for the ones that are left and are no that good anyway. Is probably different market. It does have the SR5 package. That's a plus. Good luck.

Here's the way to put it. If he has no records then at this milage you'd be doing s timkng chain ~$125 depending on where and what you buy, the front main, rear main, oil pan, and valve cover ~$75 depending on where and what you buy, carb rebuild because the gaskets are bad, fuel filters, front axle rebuild ~$200, all new fluids ~$100 depending on cheap or not cheap oil, anti freeze flush, in other words you could easily drop another 1-2k intk this truck for maintence. Doesn't sound like you'd pay anyone since you have a 40. But still 7k for a really old truck that you'll have a lot of maintence to do on unless they kept up with it.

Although the maintenance items "should" get done, besides the timing chain and fluid change, most could be put on hold for a while if it runs well enough as-is.

I was not trying to talk you out of buying the truck. It seems like a pretty nice rig. The nice thing is it shouldn't go down in value since there is a finite number of trucks that aren't clapped out. What's the phone number of the guy selling it? Maybe I should call him and tell him he's asking too much, and should sell it to me. :p

It is an SR5 that has had the stripes removed. The irreplaceable grille, bumper and headlamp doors appear to be in very good condition. The rear bumper is not original. The windshield has either been replaced or the chrome insert has been removed from the weatherstrip. Does it have power steering and a tilt wheel?

I can easily believe the transmission story as the early 5 speeds ate input shaft bearings.

Thanks for the imput.

Nice catch on the stripes, didn't notice that.

It does have power steering and tilt wheel.

I would honestly be buying it as more of a long term investment. I am thinking these will only be going up in value as time goes on... Not sure if they will be on par with 40's in 10-15 years, but I think they'll be close (just my opinion). Yes I would drive it and do regular maintenance, but no mods.

Thanks again. Now I have a decision to make...

With PS, tilt wheel, A/C, SR5, Chrome, vent windows and sliding rear window, I'd be all over it. Even faster if it was an RN38 instead of an RN48.

I too would leave it mostly alone. I'd lift it ~2 inches and put 31 x 10.50 x 15 tires on it and try to find a correct rear bumper. That's it.

That truck takes me back to my RN47.

my%20RN47.jpg

Stripes have been gone for decades.

I wasn't saying for you to not get it. I was just pointing out some stuff. But I'd grab it if it was me.

I'd rock it in a minute. Only problem is if I brought it home my wife would run me over with it. Four Land Cruisers, Three pickup trucks, Two Dodge Challengers, a Rav4, Dodge Raider, two truck bed trailers and two VW bajas.....Something would have to go......:hillbilly:

Yup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom