Going to the grave with this one. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Redwood

Amateur 4Wheeler/Pitmaster
Threads
So in 2021, I had that itch. You know the itch of wanting that sweet ride you had in High School. I wanted an absolute stock 1985 Toyota Pickup Xtra Cab 4x4. The color was not super important, but I didn’t want 30+ years of people hacking away. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve done my fair share of that,

So after 2 years of driving maybe 150 miles total I decided to make a few non stock changes. After reading reviews, I decided on a Dobinson 2” lift. Of course my timing is terrible as winter is about to begin here in New Hampshire, but here we go anyways.

IMG_0198.jpeg

As luck would have it, FedEx was kind enough to damage one of the leaf packs, so now I wait for the new parts to arrive.

A funny back story on this truck. Since I was looking to scratch the itch, I did a Quick Look on here and BaT. After a bit of searching, I found the truck I now own had been sold on BaT. I contacted the dealer that listed the truck to see if they could help me locate another one via email

A few hours later I received a call. The woman explained the truck had been sold to a person in California, and she had even helped title and register it in Wyoming for the buyer, but he never came to pick it up even after paying for the truck.

I asked if she thought he would be interested in selling it since it had been over 5 months. She told me she would get back to me the next day.

The next day another phone call and BOOM, a couple hours later I was booking a flight to pick the truck up and only cost me $500 more than it had sold for on BaT!!! After arriving in Wyoming late I grabbed a hotel and went to the shop the next morning. Slipped her $500 for the assist and drove this beauty to Colorado Springs where we were living at the time.

Interested to see what that Dobinson lift looks like!

So, I received the shipment from Dobinson, and of course FedEx jacked one of the spring packs up during shipping. I have 3 of 4 springs installed, but have kept the rear end on jack stand until the last spring pack is shipped out. Going from stock (heavily sagging) springs, I'm noticing an initial 3" lift.

I was a little frustrated that they just assume you know what part number goes where. Specifically the U-Bolts. I called Dobinson and voiced my concern that a simple 1 page instruction sheet would save a ton of phone calls or frustrated consumers.

As for the installation, it turns out that having the truck oil undercoated really helped with no bolt being an issue loosening. What I thought was going to take me 45 min per corner, took 15 min for all 4 corners. I'm thinking I'll take a page out of @Manhattan playbook and go with FJ40 wheels and a nice new set of 33's.

IMG_0017.jpeg

So, I received the shipment from Dobinson, and of course FedEx jacked one of the spring packs up during shipping. I have 3 of 4 springs installed, but have kept the rear end on jack stand until the last spring pack is shipped out. Going from stock (heavily sagging) springs, I'm noticing an initial 3" lift.

I was a little frustrated that they just assume you know what part number goes where. Specifically the U-Bolts. I called Dobinson and voiced my concern that a simple 1 page instruction sheet would save a ton of phone calls or frustrated consumers.

As for the installation, it turns out that having the truck oil undercoated really helped with no bolt being an issue loosening. What I thought was going to take me 45 min per corner, took 15 min for all 4 corners. I'm thinking I'll take a page out of @Manhattan playbook and go with FJ40 wheels and a nice new set of 33's.

View attachment 3484340
what did they give you for rear spring front hardware?
im overall pretty happy with the kit

what did they give you for rear spring front hardware?
im overall pretty happy with the kit
The rear spring hardware was just the rear shackle, I had to reuse the rear spring front bolt, I would have thought it also came with a greasable bolt.

you did get new front pins though right?

my kit came with two sets of the front style pins. which would have been correct for 79-83. they were helpless when asked wtf? :rolleyes:
my vendor made it right.

Looks great!

ok, so can anyone tell me what this is? I know it isn't factory and would like to put it back the way it is suppose to be. Starter Relay?

Screenshot 2023-11-18 at 9.21.39 PM.png

Follow the wires. Where do they go?

Man it's been a busy month. Between Thanksgiving and now coaching Basketball, I finally received all the correct and undamaged parts from Dobinson. After receiving a damaged spring pack that FedEx jacked up, it took Dobinson 10 days of waiting for FedEx to accept a claim for shipping damage. Apparently they were not going to ship a replacement until that was approved by FedEx, but after being persistent and having Trail Tailor bug them, I received a new spring pack.

My honest review of the lift is it appears sturdy and well built. My largest gripe other than having to wait for the replacement spring pack is that there isn't a single sheet for directions. Now, I know how to turn a wrench and replacing a spring for a spring doesn't take an education to figure out, but it would have been nice to get a document providing the torque specs. The only response I got from Dobinson was to use the factory torque specs.

The 2" lift is actually more like 3" since my OE springs were in pretty warn shape.

IMG_0047.png

Man it's been a busy month. Between Thanksgiving and now coaching Basketball, I finally received all the correct and undamaged parts from Dobinson. After receiving a damaged spring pack that FedEx jacked up, it took Dobinson 10 days of waiting for FedEx to accept a claim for shipping damage. Apparently they were not going to ship a replacement until that was approved by FedEx, but after being persistent and having Trail Tailor bug them, I received a new spring pack.

My honest review of the lift is it appears sturdy and well built. My largest gripe other than having to wait for the replacement spring pack is that there isn't a single sheet for directions. Now, I know how to turn a wrench and replacing a spring for a spring doesn't take an education to figure out, but it would have been nice to get a document providing the torque specs. The only response I got from Dobinson was to use the factory torque specs.

The 2" lift is actually more like 3" since my OE springs were in pretty warn shape.

View attachment 3494729

What size tires are you running in this picture?

I'm thinking I'll take a page out of Manhattan playbook and go with FJ40 wheels and a nice new set of 33's.

I love FJ40 rims with 33x9.5s on them (see mine below), but you have a sweet, perfect, uncorroded set of SR5 rims on that truck that are terribly appropriate. In your case, I'd leave them. But, if you choose FJ40 rims, be sure to use the stock 70s hubcaps on them.

Argentine1.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom