Builds HJ61 Cruiser build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice wheels, I had those rims but had to sell because also 7 splitrims, :princess::slap:

The snorkel needs the drain so dont put is to low and close it:
file.php

Thanks, yes I like them. And when searching I have found other sets, some in 15' (might go on the 73, and in 16' as they were popular here in the 80s when every farm had a couple of pick ups, mostly gen 1 and 2 hiluxes and l200. I did find a set of mitsu wheels in 16x7 which is the size I wanted, but they are fugly.

I know about the drains in the snorkel head, but I'm planning to trim the snorkel itself, so the drains are intact ;p

I did get out to stud the tires, and they are center siped by the dealer.
Posting a closeup of the 1400 stud, i love them.
apx 120/130 pr tire for. (Home page - Best-Grip.com)
2015-10-31 17.32.59.jpg

So i packed up for a roadtrip of 2580km (1600mile) for work and study in Trondheim.
Storms were riding in, and after spending time on the studs, i had to drive there in one stretch of 16h to get there on time monday morning. Not a good thing.
Sorry for the bad photo, but nightdriving through sweden can be a good thing.
They have some old roads that still have the red granite asphalt, soo much better than the black stuff that absorbs most of the light and gets you tired.
2015-11-02 03.17.28.jpg

The Rigid light bar with combo hyperspot is really doing its job!
But here you can clearly see the issue i'm having with the new gauges, they're too bright...

I got there safe and sound, with 15minutes to spare ;)
I had to park in the city centre, and when dropping coins on the parkometer at lunch, i saw this.
The cruiser and the e-crew. All the other cars parked next to me were e-rides.
How is this world gonna end.
2015-11-02 12.49.58.jpg

Oh, and i like how my led-bar does not stand out.
Parking in Trondheim is insane, so i drove it out to a fellow cruiserhead to rest there for the working hours.
Doing a bachelor in Traditional Craftmanship, to get some real papers for what im good at.
Traditional as in axework, rebuilding log and stone buildings with 12-18 century techniques.
Let me know if someone is interested in the same line of work!
here i'm dropping off the next load of timber for the water-driven saw from early 1796.
2015-09-22 13.12.37.jpg

And hewing a small 8" log for roofing. Boards will be 2.5" thick. Log is axe split.
2015-09-23 14.22.46.jpg

Last edited:
Trip home was better, as i didnt have to rush back home.
Took the time to drive some of the old roads af E6, around the 80 or so tunnels, exploring the narrow route.
A valley in nordland with fog passing down the river.
2015-11-07 10.38.49 HDR.jpg

Some roads have been left alone for 40 or more years, rocks chrushing down and other creative responses from mother nature.
2015-11-07 10.34.48 HDR.jpg

Aired to 41 psi, the 255's ride so smooth on the road, even with the studs.
Here you can see the bulge with 40 psi, and sipes are starting to see signs of use.
I got to a rough dirt track later on and tried 20psi. Smooth ride, and a loong grip surface. No pix af that.
2015-11-07 10.34.08 HDR.jpg

Crossing the Arctic Circle is always fun. With freezing rain and snow, i dig this landscape over Saltfjellet National Park with a size of 812 sq miles.
2015-11-07 11.31.03-2.jpg

I forgot... There's a few things wrong in this picture. Brown wheel. colours. forgot to plug in clock when i had dash out. but what is standing out?
Hint: i lost my keys in trondheim.
2015-11-07 11.33.10.jpg

Your dash looks like mine, holes...
I just crossed the Artic Circle on the Dempser Hwy in the Yukon last month.
No roads that far north paved here.

So you had to hot-wire your own truck? That's funny. I've come close to having to do that before :lol:

Your dash looks like mine, holes...
I just crossed the Artic Circle on the Dempser Hwy in the Yukon last month.
No roads that far north paved here.

Yeah, lots of missing pieces. I put this rig together out of boxes, so i have a lot of missing pieces everywhere. But it's getting closer, i try to add one or two things every week... so in a couple of years, its complete!

I hope you don't mind, I'll put up a pic of my crossing. This was mid Sept, winter conditions arrived a bit early for camping.
All part of the adventure!

I dont mind, it's very fitting actually. Another 60 at another 66* N!!
-We should compile a crossing picture at every road that crosses the arctic circle.
I've crossed it in Norway, Sweden and Finland, but not yet in Russia. Some day! Where can you pass it over there?
I live 6h north of the morale border, as we call it. ;)

So you had to hot-wire your own truck? That's funny. I've come close to having to do that before :lol:

Yeah... well, it's easy enough to get into it....with a wire. And it's just a few screws to get the key tumbler out.
I got a complete set of locks and keys from George almost a year ago, planned to change everything out, so i could have one key for everything.
So i drove it back home starting and stopping with a screwdriver, careful about the steering lock.
I get home and put the tumbler from George in there, he even made me a set of 4 keys for the lock set! ;)

---but it is a no go. Key wont turn. blah. So i try the key in all the others, it works for both door cylinders, the fuel lid and the rear hatch.
So now i have two tumblers for the ignition, without the key. @orangefj45 do you remember where this came from? All cylinders from same rig?

Loving the pics. Your running 255/85/16 on a lift? I see your two gauges are in place of the AC vents!

Correct, on a OME heavy kit.
Correct on the gauges. Good placement, but the steering wheel is in the way for a direct view. No biggie ;)

but after this trip, the keys are the least of my problems.
After 4-5 hours of driving, i noticed a whirring sound under load... i got a bad feeling.
Stopped to check ujoints, wheels, nuts and bolts, and look for leaks. All checked out fine.
U joints are new. I changed fluids on engine, gear, transfer and rear diff over the last two weeks.
No wierd metal on the magnetic drain plugs.

The sound got worse, more of a burr, sounded like a bad u joint. Checked again. no issues.
Then i noticed the sound only was there under load, and only in 5th gear!! Dammit.
So i avoided 5th gear most of the time, problem solved.
So now i have a 4spd.

So sorry to hear of the bad tranny. I always hear of problems with the 5th gear, being told to not over use it.
I've started making sure I down shift a bit earlier on the hills. Not sure if it making a difference, or it could just be
that things just wear out.

I crossed the Arctic Circle in a highway that starts 45 Kms south of Dawson City, Yukon that runs 735 km to
Inuvik, North West Territories. It is an industrial highway, gravel, and turns to mud once it descends onto the Mackenzie River delta at Ft McPherson. I will post a trip thread and forward it to you when time permits.

I want to come visit you, and drive to the northern boundaries of your country soon. Would be incredible. J

So sorry to hear of the bad tranny. I always hear of problems with the 5th gear, being told to not over use it.
I've started making sure I down shift a bit earlier on the hills. Not sure if it making a difference, or it could just be
that things just wear out.

I crossed the Arctic Circle in a highway that starts 45 Kms south of Dawson City, Yukon that runs 735 km to
Inuvik, North West Territories. It is an industrial highway, gravel, and turns to mud once it descends onto the Mackenzie River delta at Ft McPherson. I will post a trip thread and forward it to you when time permits.

I want to come visit you, and drive to the northern boundaries of your country soon. Would be incredible. J

Come by, any time!

About the tranny, I'm already dealing with a guy about a tranny. He'll check the condition before pricing it. It's another 3 day roadtrip from here, the 73 might have to stand up for that.

Nothing new on the cruiser front... but related enough.
As the permits and paperwork for the new workshop/garage won't be settled this year, i started making a shed for the two cruisers.
Simple enough, need another night or two to get it done.
will be 8x10m with open front for now. I do plan on doing some work on both cruisers this winter, so a shelter is a must.
Maybe i'll add simple doors, depending on how the winter turns out.
2015-11-13 20.23.14.jpg

Not with those lights!

Hah, funny thing... It was snowing like hell, on my two hour drive home from work today. in that time it fell 15" of snow.
Rigids are awsome, pretty much like the picture above. But they are not hot enough on the lens front so they will not melt away the now/ice.
And the front of the light (like all led bars ive seen) have the frame protruding around the glass, so the snow will funnel up in there.
A bad design feature. But i guess Rigid does not care about the cold climate cruiser community.
I have ordered a set of Amber lenses, as i know that will be better in snowy conditions, and hopefully better at deflecting the snow, as they fit around the housing.

That inability to create heat is why I removed them from my truck on the first road trip
a couple of years ago. Got into a ice storm and couldn't see coming home at night in the
Fraser Canyon, just about killed me. No more LED for me. But they are bright!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom