Builds HJ61 Cruiser build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Getting pulled over, first time... the politzei were curius of the 61.
IMG_20180706_152111.jpg

But after checking our passports, drivers licence, insurance, green card and road taxes (separate sticker) they were very happy to have us visit Slovenia! All good.

After logging a few more hours, we entered the north of Croatia, and could see the Adriatic Sea!
IMG_20180707_110713.jpg

But hey, the sea was super cold. Only went for a small swim, and headed inland again to explore the jungles of Croatia.
IMG_20180707_113550.jpg

We had seen an old observatory on a sat image, so tried getting there using old mountain roads.
IMG_20180707_112447.jpg

I earlier that year put on the BF ko2 set, and was very happy with the size of 33x10,5r15.
Little did i know that i was going to miss the rubber overdrive of a TRUE 33 inch tyre, but at this point, high in the croatian jungle, i missed having a more aggressive tyre.

After following an old trail for half a day, i had to break out my axe and start looking for the trail, clearing some parts of it.
IMG_20180707_122259.jpg

we were about 4/5 of out way to the observatory, and bush go so thick, it was hard to move by foot, and the forest floor was a slippery mass of dead mush and jungle bush, giving the KO2 a workout.

After braking trail, clearing bush for a while, we got to see the reason this trail had been taken back by nature, and swallowed by jungle again. There was a landslide, tearing the road out. What you cant see in the pictures, that this trail was switchbacking its way up a steep montainside, a sheer drop just on the right of the cruiser all the time.
So with the road missing, we had to turn around on that narrow trail and go back.
After a 22 point turn, we headed back, facing all the brush i had just laid down, in the wrong direction.
Skjermbilde 2020-01-09 20.41.26.png

-And a small tree like this could easily take out your brand new radiator, in the jungle.
Luckily, this one missed by half an inch, and went over the radiator, bent around the battery and stopped against the alternator.
IMG_20180707_130715.jpg

You just need a good portion of luck when doing single cruiser jungle safari in the middle of nowhere. ;)

All went well, but now we wanted to go back to the ocean again, and dig in on the beach for a while.

IMG_20180707_135536.jpg

Overlooking the Adriatic, with Krk on the left, Iland of Rab in the middle and Cres to the right.
We're aiming for food and beer at the village in the picture, Mosenice.

Decided to check into a proper campsite for a reboot in the truck, and some service, shower and a calm evening at the beach.
IMG_20180707_185138.jpg

And since Anette likes to take photos of me half-naked, this is me waiting for the sun to set, so i can actually do stuff.
Funny thing, we found this loco priced Hrvatska campground, with all services.
We were the only ones in that area, since it had just been planted and built up. At the Iland of Krk.

IMG_20180707_194001.jpg

Not too far from the beach.

IMG_20180707_202716 (1).jpg

We had a lovely evening, talking about where to go next... I've been to croatia before, backpacking, sightseeing all the cities and all the ilands along the coast.
It's a lovely country, but a bit too touristy around the cities for me. They have a crazy fine for wild-camping, to keep the visitors in the tourismish areas.
There we had this Karlovacko beer in front of us, a soft and nice pilsner, maybe we should see where it is from? the town of Karlovac?

IMG_20180708_141640.jpg

Can you imagine standing inside one of those one man bunkers? insanely primitive but effective.

IMG_20180708_141929.jpg

IMG_20180708_141220.jpg

IMG_20180708_141829.jpg

After cruising through the beautiful cities and seeing some war-museums in the Karlovac area, we got a new understanding of what had been going on in this region. There are so many battle-scars all over. Houses with thousands of bulletholes, bombed areas and broken down roads and communities. But the roses are thriving, children are playing on the broken down relics of the war.
This land has risen from the ashes, and is really beautiful and colorful.

From my last time in Croatia (Hrvatska) i remembered i wanted to go see an abandoned mig airbase, Zeljava airbase.
While backpacking years ago, i kept mostly to the coastline.
This airbase was on the border to Bosnia & Herzegovina . Off we went!
IMG_20180708_164904.jpg

The Airbase was former Yugoslav military base built between 1948 and 68, with an complex structure inside the mountain to protect the fleet of airplanes. Three runways make up a triangle, and two more stretch out, so its an enormous abandoned area
around the 5 runways.

Skjermbilde 2020-01-09 21.47.42.png

For those who want to see more of the history of this place, go to Aerodrom Zeljava
and here's a video:

We cruised around the triangle, seeing that the runways was blewn up to prevent further use.
Anette refused to go out of the rig after we met this fella.
IMG_20180708_165404.jpg

I was more worried that the de-mining of the area was not complete. So we watched our steps, exploring this ghost-airport.
IMG_20180708_165648.jpg

IMG_20180708_170423 (1).jpg

Some of theese plane-bunkers were open, but we figured we would let the history inside rest and only peeked inside the doors.
There are several entrances, many kilometers of interior taxing routes and hallways.
Some say it was built to withstand an atomic war. Insane structure, either way.

Search, and you will find...

IMG_20180709_085416-EFFECTS.jpg

Remember me saying Croatia had a law against wild camping. well, here we are, after searching for a nice place and site to hang out the rest of the day. we found a cosy cove, after crossing old abandoned olive plantations. Clear waters, clean seashore and totally isolated from others.
Well, not the snakes, scorpions and thousands of spiders that came out of the bushes after sunset.
This time, having a rtt off the ground really makes it more comfy.
When night fell, i put a small torch about 40 meters away, witch attracted the bugs and critters to that area instead.

The tarp from ATC, Canvas Utility Tarps - Adventure Tool Company
has been widely used. Love it, also their tool roll. My favorite "soft" gadgets.

IMG_20180709_091109.jpg

Now thats a trip ! Great pics !

Yeah, and I've only posted from a fraction of it, 1/4 into the 5 weeks it went on.
Gotta love a reliable Cruiser, makes traveling what it should be 👍

Amazing photos. Nice seeing the map of your route. I’m terrible w/ geography! An entirely different world out that way. Spectacular. Thanks for updating your thread.
Felicity

From my last time in Croatia (Hrvatska) i remembered i wanted to go see an abandoned mig airbase, Zeljava airbase.
While backpacking years ago, i kept mostly to the coastline.
This airbase was on the border to Bosnia & Herzegovina . Off we went!
View attachment 2177758

The Airbase was former Yugoslav military base built between 1948 and 68, with an complex structure inside the mountain to protect the fleet of airplanes. Three runways make up a triangle, and two more stretch out, so its an enormous abandoned area
around the 5 runways.

View attachment 2177770

For those who want to see more of the history of this place, go to Aerodrom Zeljava
and here's a video:

We cruised around the triangle, seeing that the runways was blewn up to prevent further use.
Anette refused to go out of the rig after we met this fella.
View attachment 2177792

I was more worried that the de-mining of the area was not complete. So we watched our steps, exploring this ghost-airport.
View attachment 2177793

View attachment 2177795
Some of theese plane-bunkers were open, but we figured we would let the history inside rest and only peeked inside the doors.
There are several entrances, many kilometers of interior taxing routes and hallways.
Some say it was built to withstand an atomic war. Insane structure, either way.

That base looks like Cold War at its finest. Really cool.

Amazing trip, thanks for sharing the photos and descriptions. All I can think of when you mention these countries are the previous infighting, genocidal wars, war refugees fleeing, etc.....all the things we only saw in evening news stories about places I had little knowledge of. Just incredible. Beautiful places.

Amazing photos. Nice seeing the map of your route. I’m terrible w/ geography! An entirely different world out that way. Spectacular. Thanks for updating your thread.
Felicity

Thanks, Felicity! will try to catch up on my thread again, still Soo many countries and thousands of miles to dig out of my memory.
I'm glad I take lots of photos, though mainly with my phone. That lets me use the GPS tags to refer to and make maps out of, and to see where I ended up, as we usually go a bit blind in whatever direction.

I also always carry details paper maps of the suspected areas to find trails and remote areas/villages.

And in my Europe roadbook I use a Sharpie every lunch or evening beer time to mark out the route and special things to remember for later on.
After every long trip I need time to let it sink in, before I can write about it and share, so I try to leave clues for my future teflon brain.
Hah, it's like another journey when I dig back into my notes and maps, rediscovering everything 😁

And I agree, it's a different world.
Some of the areas we traveled is where people only have a horse and a wagon IF they are rich.
Like it was in Norway in the 1850s.
It adds to my perspective of everyone's life, poor or wealthy, living urban or remote, eating bugs or beef.
After all, every life has equal value in my opinion, it's just hard to grasp from home.

On our travels and in my experience, we find that it's often the ones that have nothing that has a lot to give.

That base looks like Cold War at its finest. Really cool.

Amazing trip, thanks for sharing the photos and descriptions. All I can think of when you mention these countries are the previous infighting, genocidal wars, war refugees fleeing, etc.....all the things we only saw in evening news stories about places I had little knowledge of. Just incredible. Beautiful places.

Yeah, all the cold and hot wars have left their mark.
And it's stunning to see how done countries or regions can move on and rebuild, and where some countries still seem to be stuck in the post war psychosis.
Within a few hours drive in any direction in the Balkan region you will find examples of every good and bad aftermath of the wars.

Norway has also over the last decades greeted refugees and immigrants from most of the Balkan countries, and I've grown up amongst most of these nationalities. It's nice to get a clearer picture of what they ran away from and what it has turned into today.

Funny thing, no matter where you're from, everybody loves the old land cruiser! 👍

Curious, are any of the snakes there dangerous/venomous?

Yeah, it's different threats varying from sea to mountain tops.
The Karst viper and the nose-horned viper is the only deadly ones I knew of in Croatia, and the black one we saw was not that viper.
The one we had to look out for has more of a significant pattern along the back.

But there are other more common creatures that will take more than a good draft beer to fix. The black widows, the venom squirting fire salamander (true!) , Scorpions, Sea Urchins, sick gellyfish and so on.
And then you have the more visible ones, the wild boar, the huge lynx and all the small politicians.

I research a bit before going in a new direction, so I can tell my better half that everything is okay. She will freak out and set sails in the opposite direction for most weird creatures 😁

just finished reading this whole thread over the last few days. What a great write up. Putting an EGT probe in a 12HT I’m putting together Googled it and ended up on your thread searching for the pic on page 17. So I kept going since it’s been years when I last saw it

Thanks for checking in 👌 that egt did me well. Swapped the gauge once, probably in 21. But it also failed. Worked like it should when it would, so I'll probably just have to put a better gauge in.
Probe placement seems to be good, quick solid readings and no cracks after all these years.

Another story is that I've put a "new" 12ht in, just ironed out the little vacuum issues, had a few hooked up wrong.

Got a 60 donor rig with 2h and 5spd, mainly got it because of its cable lockers so I have spare sets.

Put together a good clean LJ70 with a good body and the drivetrain from the rusted out 73. Bodywork and everything.
Have a pristine 73 frame leftover for whoever wants one, and tons of cool 7x parts.

Currently struggling with rear selfadjusters on the fullfloat 61 rear. Can't get them to NOT adjust too aggressively. After a week of daily driving the driver's rear brake smell of heat and hate.
So now a weekly routine is to unclick 7 clicks every sunday.

In other news we have added a Lc150 to the fleet. 2010. Coils and a 1kd diesel. Auto, AC, KDSS, cooler and black leather trim. Everything how I want it, exempt from the auto but I can live with that. One-owner rig made me jump on it, since we couldn't find a 100 or 200 we ended in the middle. Basically a less plush GX460 with better approach angle.

Just getting it serviced and have put on Duratracs in 255/70r18 which seems to do the trick without having to do anything else.
Next is baseline fluids and front engine service, maybe injectors. Learning new tech, learning diagnostic crap, learning engine management, techstream next. Fun to dive into new stuff, but man it has a lot of wires and computers. Just wanna keep it reliable and able to soak up miles day and night.
Finding it reliable and capable, but looking into either a rear locker or retrofitting the creawl control system. The atrac is just a tad too slow for my liking.
Oh and it reeeealy needs Carplay. I even have it in the 60.

The biggest upgrade to the stable is a 3month old Cruiserfan named Birk! A lovely boy that we brought home in the 60 during the winter storms in February.
So now the 70 series might go, as it's just a two seater and ends up just sitting too much.

I'll get around to adding some photo updates, sooo much has happened since my last post here.

If you enjoy my rambling and life choices hook up on IG: land_CIA and reach out.
🤜💥🤛

Congratulations on the little one and the new vehicle. Great to hear about the newer 12HT as well. Looking to place my probe in the same area as you did. Measuring many times before drilling to ensure the tip does not come into contact with the inside wall of the exhaust outlet
IMG_0457.jpeg

Congratulations on the little one and the new vehicle. Great to hear about the newer 12HT as well. Looking to place my probe in the same area as you did. Measuring many times before drilling to ensure the tip does not come into contact with the inside wall of the exhaust outlet View attachment 3319202
Thanks!
Yup, that placement looks good!
What gauge did you go with?
Are you on a 12 or 24v setup? I'm 24.

Thanks!
Yup, that placement looks good!
What gauge did you go with?
Are you on a 12 or 24v setup? I'm 24.
This truck is 12v. So is my main 60 (see the Frankenstein build thread in my sig) that I built several years ago. I have a 61 from Andorra that’s 24v and two JDM models that are the same. This one I’m working on as well as the Frankenstein build are clones. I’m drilling and tapping with a 1/8 NPT for the probe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom