HID Install FJ62 - daylight at night! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mmw68

CruiserCrap.com - pimping crap for your cruiser!
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
store.cruisercrap.com
I decided I wanted to upgrade my Hella 4000 lights to HID, but then I got a little crazy and went Mad with HID fever.

After a few phone calls and kits from a few of my wholesale vendors, here is what I came up with.

My outer lights are now 35w 6000K Hi/Lo HID 2800 Lumens. Iam using a custom Harness, and it does light up the "Brights" idiot light in the dash, and was 100% plug and play.

My inner lights are now used for off road use only - 6000K HID 55watts. 5000 Lumens. My Hella lights are also 35w 6000K HID. 2800 Lumens.

So that about 21200 of lumen madness! :grinpimp:

The nice thing about HID - is that the draw on the electrical system is very low, the batteries and alternator don't even struggle when everything is on. About 3.5 amps per set.

Iam not going to get into the whole legal debate.. all HID retrofit kits are intended for off road use only. But I just passed inspection, and all they guy cared about was my bright dash light coming on.

One thing I will say - is if you don't adjust them down about a click - your going to blind people. I have not had any problems, and have driven next to several cops.

all_lights2.jpg

Low Beams only:

lowbeam_lg.jpg

High Beams Only:

highbeam_lg.jpg

All the lights:

Alllights_street_lg.jpg

installed_hilo_lg.jpg

harness_hi_lo_lg.jpg

I used some extra rear defroster switches I had, and some stickers to label the switches.

switches.jpg

I stuck the 35w slim balast behind the lights, and the 55W balast where ever I could. One other next to my accessory fuse box, the other - on the DS fender.

35w_behind_batt_lg.jpg

relays.jpg

And the Hella's

hella_bulb4.jpg

hella_bulb3.jpg

hella_bulb5.jpg

35w_behind_turn2.jpg

Iam finding new excuses to drive at night now! :)

That is AWESOME! Definitely something I've been tossing around the idea of doing for a while (especially with all of the 3am SAR pages I end up going on :cool:).

What brand/manufacturer of HID kit did you end up with? I'm assuming the ballast box and everything is fully sealed and waterproof?

I know the headlight wiring harness upgrade has kind of been beat to death on here but with the low amperage draw of the HID, would a harness upgrade be necessary?

The Light housings for this are Autopal, but Iam changing them out to Nsirus, because they are better housings.

As far as the harness - You need it to be wired correctly for our trucks, unlike the FZJ80 or 100 series where people are just putting in HID bulbs/Ballasts/harness to the factory harness. So, yes, it's not a draw issue, but a relay, trigger, brights on dash issue.

The Ballast Iam using are water proof, and the name is Generic. From what I understand about all these HID kits, there are different levels or grades. Mostly coming from China and Taiwan.

What you get from some ebay guys and a few vendors is the "C" grade, with there name stuck on it. That is how they can charge $29 for a full HID kit.

These kit I used are "B" grade, and Iam using a very respected wholesaler that is local. So if there is a issue - I can deal with him directly.

I could put together some kits if people are interested?

That's a bright idea!!!

How is the horizontal cut off on the low beams? The cut off on my Bosch H4s in my FJ-62 and the HIDs on my Audi and Lexus are really distinct. I thought about HID before but the retrofits that I've seen throws a lot of light "up", which is the issue with on coming traffic.

How is the horizontal cut off on the low beams? The cut off on my Bosch H4s in my FJ-62 and the HIDs on my Audi and Lexus are really distinct. I thought about HID before but the retrofits that I've seen throws a lot of light "up", which is the issue with on coming traffic.

Count me in as extremely interested. If you end up putting together a kit please pm me. I'm about 6 months out from executing a harness / headlight upgrade.

Damn :cheers:

x2 on the kit info. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a headlight upgrade. Can you clarify if this would eliminate the need for a wire harness upgrade? Also any input on how your HID setup compares to the none HID upgrades.

Most all HID kits are the same, the main difference is the ballast size, they have slim ballasts and the fat ones still. There is also bulbs that are high/low that have a magnet built into the bulb to retract it. I have a good friend that owns an audio shop and I help him out in my free time so he doesn't get too swamped and have installed dozens of kits with a generic relay harness that just plugs in your factory wiring for a signal and works great. IMHO any kit you buy off of eBay will be fine, the slim ballast seem to work a bit better, with less flicker problems. BUT, I would rather buy from a local source because there is always the possibility of problems and most people who sell them will warranty for a year or so.

Currently Iam using the Autopal light housings. I'll be changing them to the NSIRUS this weekend, then I'll take some pictures of the light out put for you against a wall.

They do have a cut off, but it's a bit fuzzy and not like a true HID with a shutter. I would say yes - It tossed some light up, but I have yet to have some one flash me because they are upset. But a picture is worth 1000 words, so I'll take some for you.

I have a true HID 4x6 housing on the way, it's a true Bi-Xenon unit with a projector and D1S HID Bulb. This is 100% DOT compliant for on road use. Of course this is not going to be a cheap solution, but if you want a true HID - it's the only way to go.

Most all HID kits are the same, the main difference is the ballast size, they have slim ballasts and the fat ones still. There is also bulbs that are high/low that have a magnet built into the bulb to retract it. I have a good friend that owns an audio shop and I help him out in my free time so he doesn't get too swamped and have installed dozens of kits with a generic relay harness that just plugs in your factory wiring for a signal and works great. IMHO any kit you buy off of eBay will be fine, the slim ballast seem to work a bit better, with less flicker problems. BUT, I would rather buy from a local source because there is always the possibility of problems and most people who sell them will warranty for a year or so.

Yes the Slim 35watt are the way to go. The only issue with a Generic Harness is it needs to be modified for the FJ62, FJ60, FJ40 to work correctly. For the newer cruisers It is plug and play mostly.

Iam using the "Telescopic" H4 bulb currently, It does use a magnet to change the focal point of the bulb in and out. In my research, these have about a 50-50 failure rate, and some of my wholesale guys refuse to carry them any more. If I do put together Kits - I will give one year warranty.

Haven't personally seen that much failure out of the retractable bulbs, the relays suck though and I would prefer using SPDT relays. I have the retractables in my F250 and won't use them again, the bulb aim is to drastic so it aims way to high.

On another note I have been running HIDs in my 250 for awhile with a 8 inch lift and have been flashed once so I believe they are fine to have without a projector as long as the headlight is adjusted properly.

Where did you pick up that harness ?

Mark
Put me down as interested in a kit - harness plus lights plus whatever is needed to lock in a setup like yours.
thanks
Koby

I have a true HID 4x6 housing on the way, it's a true Bi-Xenon unit with a projector and D1S HID Bulb. This is 100% DOT compliant for on road use. Of course this is not going to be a cheap solution, but if you want a true HID - it's the only way to go.

I'm very interested in this type of solution.

Ya'll,

Just a update - I can't get the price down to a good level for the ih8mud folks. Maybe I can just a parts list together for everyone and post my wiring up so ya'll can do it your self?

-MMW

Ya'll,

Just a update - I can't get the price down to a good level for the ih8mud folks. Maybe I can just a parts list together for everyone and post my wiring up so ya'll can do it your self?

-MMW

Subscribed.

Sounds fair. Would it be too much to also list part #'s for 60's ?

Thanks, John

Where did you get your battery tray. It's shiny, I like shiny!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom