Hello guys meet FLX80T from Australia (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tested for blow by and Safe to say it's got a blow by issue lol. Just looked and I'm out of the warranty time period too. What a f...ken disaster $8.5k down the drain. 80life bleeds you dry.

eb7678399ecb724ee96e2000978a54f0.jpg

Went to see old roothy at opposite lock Tamworth today. Running late as usual missed him and missed the lucky door prize lol but manage to win the flex ramp comp he he. Old FLX80T Surprised a few spectators :)
efb81487b10cba03ef7cfc8fe4069e9a.jpg

Is there any way I can edit the title of my post ??

Happy New Years everyone. Hopefully 2016 brings a bit better luck for everyone.

Been a while since posted not much has changed. Engines still smokey and it's drinking as much oil as fuel these days. It's still on top of my list to sort but the old girls been put aside for awhile sick of it bleeding me dry lately.

Got bogged for the first time in it going for a casual drive in the bush with the misses one arvo lol. 3 hrs later and about 12 different attempts my brother in law in his 3lt patrol finally pulled me out. Lesson learned don't hit bog holes when your out 4wding by yourself not the smartest thing I've ever done lol
1724db353316ecb758e785c4bde55239.jpg

4d5c213e43ef0a19ec3775ce1c861187.jpg

Few little jobs I've got on the go at the moment.

Brake rebuild staying the small brakes, stainless steal pistons and adding braided lines.
c751b64f8a9f9b88d64916bd2271262e.jpg

Engine bay bling.
Blacked out engine cover
6e323d19d9906f179305f9c287bc1a98.jpg

26e8fedab1bfb9308ea8c60fe9c51304.jpg

Custom tailgate strip.
With a bit of gturbo love
a1a920225b18a5ff4c1e8f6109cd9020.jpg

Started getting a bit of a vibration up while driving on the freeway. Closer inspection found some nice cracks around steering box.
Sinister chassis plates
abec6f48b0be15b9469591b0ed8f9d9d.jpg

40417cb07a5048708118155e3f875b69.jpg

b991fcb6cc72ba011190470db0db590a.jpg

9f538ed72cc586f7356bfacd4284dc98.jpg

Braided clutch line. For some reason my XXI clutch has never felt the best, changed clutch cylinder and added new fluid but still doesn't feel great. Maybe the braided line might improve the feel of it.
239ff734097e3f6f4d9327a98e76c03a.jpg

Apart from all this. Work on engine, get running properly/fix, new rear main seal.
Add part time transfer, front end rebuild and fit aisin free wheeling hubs.
Rebuild rear diff to handle the 2wd conversion a little better.
Rear draw setup (tidy up tools, spares and sub woofer that's been slapping around in the back for the last year)
Finish off rock lights (rear of car)
Wider or legal flares
Rear mudflaps

As for dreams mods
Reduction gears or diff gears
Eye to eye conversion up front and better quality longer shocks all round
Possibly xlink with lock out front end
Respray (maybe matt paint colour )
Rhino alloy roof rack setup.
Water tank in spare wheel hole under car.
Get everything Engineered
Trip to GTURBO in WA for a final tune.
Hopefully get some more faith in FLX80T and tour a bit more in 2016

Great looking rig brotha! I was out in Brisbane a few months ago (with the USS George Washington Carrier) and I loved seeing all the Aussie rigs.. everywhere we went we saw modified 4wd's. Question for you, how do you like the ARB LED spotlights? Is it worth $500 per unit?

Yea mate there awesome. One of the best lights I've ever owned and I've had a fair few combos in the last few years. Throw easy 400 odd meters days the road like it's daylight. Rigid industries actually make them so know there well made.

Finally fitted the engine cover and new gasket. Hopefully it dries up some of the oil leaking out of the old girl

12d86aaeacba0d0782a8e2a93245ee44.jpg

She might go like a dog drink as much oil as fuel but it did the 60 km beach trip from Stockton to Anna bay and back wish ease. Even had a few over the bonnet fresh water crossings from the recent flooding too.
f6313c19ea184a08c9a4a90795499e33.jpg

e5e0e2dbf0e2c20b1bd61f65d702e8a2.jpg

797ad8ed490e03433baa6bcc7e5e4b55.jpg

Anyone for some new play tyres ? :). 40" tyres make my 35s look like stock tyres ha ha (Sorry about the poor quality picture had a dirty camera screen)
11e0d5d97ab96e7eeb85ecf695f1c3f7.jpg

Snow, beaches, mud, man, you've got it all in your backyard. Awesome pics, love the build.

So how do I get me one of them bling tailgate garnishes but one thata says 6.0LS2....
I won't even say 'should have gone V8' if you put me on to your source....
My cars getting it's sill fixed this week, sigh.
IMG_1333.JPG

With the money I've thrown at it I could of went and got a brand new crate LSA or even down the path of importing a duramax. I still mainly want good fuel economy though as I do plan to do a cape / fishing trip one day In my life. If i can ever get things together long enough to save some money and for some time off work. Add me on FB Clint Carlos Andrews and I'll give you my mates name is who builds the tailgate strips. Shame it's going on my dodgy 80 lol. Coming from a stroked forged big turboed Evo 6 as my last daily (could pull about 7 - 9 car lengths on my mates ve ss ute to 200 ) I get bored and sick of slow cars real fast they do my head in lol. I was blinded by all Built up boosted 80s coming out with 220 250 + hp out when I was building mine and I was like yep that's what I want and they all Still claimed 13.5 14 L per hundred sort economy which all sounded to good to be true. I've Never really been a v8 fan (ps I own one now) as there just slow things unless you throw big money at them. All noise and no go. I've owned turboed cars my whole life so naturally I love anything with boost in it lol.

Your damage looks good. Going offroad with no sliders will always end bad. Bit of advice I can give you make sure you do your sliders / steps you put some sort of plate on top. You'd be suprised the amount of stone chips I've received just taking them alloy steps off. My poor paint is wrecked these days I think I Polished it that well I think I took the last layer of clear off it. Every day there is a new patch of clear lifting. I Will respray one day that's the plan but Still undecided what colour though. I Love the look of the American trucks with the Bedliner / flat coloured paint.

Finally fitted the engine cover and new gasket. Hopefully it dries up some of the oil leaking out of the old girl

12d86aaeacba0d0782a8e2a93245ee44.jpg

She might go like a dog drink as much oil as fuel but it did the 60 km beach trip from Stockton to Anna bay and back wish ease. Even had a few over the bonnet fresh water crossings from the recent flooding too.
f6313c19ea184a08c9a4a90795499e33.jpg

e5e0e2dbf0e2c20b1bd61f65d702e8a2.jpg

797ad8ed490e03433baa6bcc7e5e4b55.jpg

Anyone for some new play tyres ? :). 40" tyres make my 35s look like stock tyres ha ha (Sorry about the poor quality picture had a dirty camera screen)
11e0d5d97ab96e7eeb85ecf695f1c3f7.jpg
Those 40s are Awesome..! For all the shortcoming's you describe the Rig sure still looks Great..! :) I hope you get all your oil gremlins worked out as well. I have 37s those 40s are Huge. :cheers:

Ha ha ha thanks mate. He's got 3 sets of 37 s he's always trying to sell me. I'll get some play tyres one day once I get all the bugs ironed out.

With the money I've thrown at it I could of went and got a brand new crate LSA or even down the path of importing a duramax. I still mainly want good fuel economy though as I do plan to do a cape / fishing trip one day In my life. If i can ever get things together long enough to save some money and for some time off work. Add me on FB Clint Carlos Andrews and I'll give you my mates name is who builds the tailgate strips. Shame it's going on my dodgy 80 lol. Coming from a stroked forged big turboed Evo 6 as my last daily (could pull about 7 - 9 car lengths on my mates ve ss ute to 200 ) I get bored and sick of slow cars real fast they do my head in lol. I was blinded by all Built up boosted 80s coming out with 220 250 + hp out when I was building mine and I was like yep that's what I want and they all Still claimed 13.5 14 L per hundred sort economy which all sounded to good to be true. I've Never really been a v8 fan (ps I own one now) as there just slow things unless you throw big money at them. All noise and no go. I've owned turboed cars my whole life so naturally I love anything with boost in it lol.

Your damage looks good. Going offroad with no sliders will always end bad. Bit of advice I can give you make sure you do your sliders / steps you put some sort of plate on top. You'd be suprised the amount of stone chips I've received just taking them alloy steps off. My poor paint is wrecked these days I think I Polished it that well I think I took the last layer of clear off it. Every day there is a new patch of clear lifting. I Will respray one day that's the plan but Still undecided what colour though. I Love the look of the American trucks with the Bedliner / flat coloured paint.
Yeah, i just got unlucky. A log parrallel to the track flicked up behing the front wheel and looks to hav caught on the step bracket, car still going forward, log digs into ground, car pole vaults over and step cant support the weight, naturally. If I could get a set of sliders that looked close to stock and had tread plate I'd go for it, but then again, been off roading for more than 30 years and first time it's happened. Bad luck, not misjudgement this time. As they say, a man who changes his mind against his will really hasn't changed his mind, so I won't try to convince you of the merits of an easy 400HP from a stock motor :) My 80 is my weekend car, so if it slurps hi teens in fuel, I can bear it for the power and response, plus off road it's awesome pulling power from idle is great, especially with the Marks transfer gears. 3rd low does most of the work, 2nd low if its rutted or bumpy. Anyway, hope to get your contact details via FB, cheers.

Ever had it on a dyno mate ? Last ls1 80 I seen on the rollers only made 200 hp at the rears. Can't quiet remember but I think it had exhaust and mafless tune.

As for your steps I'd be getting some custom made. Made to the way you want them. Any decent 4wd fab should be able to make you something up around the $650 750 mark.

Nice rig man. It sucks to hear of cruiser troubles, but it can't all be easy. I do hope you get it sorted, it'll be worth it. Thats the flexiest radius arm setup I've seen. Impressive. I wheel with a couple 80 guys on 37's, it seems to be a bit of a sweet spot for tire size/ vehicle weight/axle stress/capability ratio if your interested in a bias towards offroad performance.

Thanks CARid and hiluxjeremy yea some 37s low range reduction gears and some different diff gears would near be the ultimate offroad setup I reckon. Well will be perfect for what I would ever need to do with it.

Finally got around to fitting custom tailgate strip. What you guys reckon ?? Bit of gturbo love ;)

e6480a6a3936c2a6d91e597877a385e7.jpg

9074323a11c30fe3ce5b175b0b47dd72.jpg

0e5fac858f2daaf006d753d4ad6c3922.jpg

You would think we owned land rovers by the way this thread is going! I've been battling oil leaks too since fitting my turbo, can't get the sump to seal and the rear main leak has gone from a very slow weep to a torrent in the last year. Just moved to Brissy before Christmas, have yet to find a mechanic to swap my gearbox out and fix the leaks or a place where I can do it myself.

The tailgate strip is bling! Wouldn't suit my beat up old bus though. How's the suspension going? Mine needs a serious revamp, contemplating selling the shocks and springs and going back to a basic 2" lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom