Headlight Relay Location? 87 FJ60 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for the location of the relay for the head lights in the 60. Or which one? Passenger Headlight, low beam 2.3VDC, high beam 12 VDC, engine off. Driver side is fine, 12 & 12VDC. Can some one post a pic of the location showing the relay?

Also, recommendation on replacement relay?

Passenger connects to the SLCFJ62 (I think he made it) Bussman relay kit. Only the driver TruckLite LED HL works and only on High Beam, also no HB dash light or control.

Thinking it is just the main vehicle HL relay, can't hear very well, so locating it that way is difficult.

Thanks for the help.

The headlight control relay is under the dash, drivers side, along with several others.
Do you have the fsm? Page BE-10 details the general layout. Some variations between years, what is your year?
I do not know if the harness would be the cause.
hth

Added:
For Sale - 40, 50, 60, and 80 series FSM for a hell of a price.

Here we go.My truck is 24 volt HJ 61 but i guess its the same location
P1030073-001.JPG

Thanks for the replies. I have the FSM, the electrical drawings show the paths and I read that is was in the foot well but not what one.

Is there a diagram some where that shows what relay is which, like the fuse location diagrams?

So I finally got around to swapping the relay with a new one.

I am having the same issue. On the Passenger side, low beam at the light I am getting 3.5VDC. High beam, both low and high at the correct 12VDC engine off. This is metered in the connector for the headlights with my Fluke meter. Driver side works as it should? Ideas? Seems like a ground issue on the passenger side, but why only in low beam mode?

I am also having issues with the relay kit for headlights but it is disconnected now till this is fixed.

I just noticed that the high beam dash light does not come on. High Beams do though.

Last edited:
Fusible link (includes lights)? Maybe a floating ground or something funky? Circuit tester...

That diagram looks like it shows 2 headlamp relays?

Is there an audible click from the relay when the headlights are switched on? My headlights arent working and I replaced the relay with another one and there still isnt any action.

Last edited:
mine clicks.

If your tail lights come on and your horn doesn't work, then it could be your fusible link. Or there is a fuse for the headlight, but that fuse would not keep the relay from clicking.

1596213770439.png

I read that in the FSM, my question is where is the fusible link? Is that the connector coming off the battery? The rest of the lights work on the headlight bezel but just not the headlights.

Also when I turn the HL switch to the first stop, I hear a click come from the turn signal relay, but when I turn it again i get no sound. Not sure if there is supposed to be two clicks im hearing.

There is a relay for tail lights and another for head lights. I think the first click you are hearing is the tail light relay. There should also be a second click when turning on the head lights.

The fusible link is near the battery. One heavy wire comes from the battery into a connector and after the connector are three links (picture below). The wiring diagram says the red colored link is the one the headlights use. But do check if your horn is working. Both the horn and the headlights get power through this same fusible link.

1596216317814.png

Dude you are awesome. I appreciate the part # hook up. The horn on my rig is in-op, waiting for a full steering column to arrive any day from Canada. But i will definitely tinker around with the fusible link and troubleshoot from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom