Header advice needed for 1986 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all! I've been inactive on this forum for, well, a couple years I guess.
It's good to be back!

I'm looking for advice on headers for my 1986 FJ60. Here's the catch: I'd like to have a set that frees up a few ponies but that aren't super loud.

Also, thoughts on JetHot (or similar) coatings. Are they worth it?

TIA for any & all advice.

The thin steel tubes of an exhaust header lets more sound loose into the engine compartment that the thick heavy cast iron factory manifold. But I don't think this is what you are talking about? The exhaust sound that a rig makes.. the sound you hear as it goes by you on the road... has almost nothing to do with the exhaust manifold or the header. It is the muffler that determines the sound levels that you actually hear from the rig on the road.

Mark...

Hi all! I've been inactive on this forum for, well, a couple years I guess.
It's good to be back!

I'm looking for advice on headers for my 1986 FJ60. Here's the catch: I'd like to have a set that frees up a few ponies but that aren't super loud.

Also, thoughts on JetHot (or similar) coatings. Are they worth it?

TIA for any & all advice.
Hopefully these will be available soon:
For coating recommendation, see Here (Post #378.)

3FE exhaust on the 2F is another option

Although some might debate this, I have had great results with jt outfitters with the jethot chrome coating. Chrome because it is the coldest running coating the advertise. When hot the temperatures are less than the stock in my test. Sound like mentioned above is muffler and cat. Determined. I started without cat, sounds cool, but then added it back to loose the smell and quiet it down. Use the Remflex manifold gasket torque to THEIR spec.

3FE exhaust on the 2F is another option

Been meaning to ask you about this! Any noticeable changes? I imagine the goal of doing that swap is partly to circumvent the manifold sealing issues with the stock 2F setup. But do you think it adds anything else?

I’m currently rebuilding a 2F, and I have a two-piece 3FE manifold sitting on my shelf…

Just removing the catalytic converter removes so much back pressure that the engine with the stock manifold- feels like it has headers. Really opens it up.
Way ahead of ya there ;)

I think what youre getting at is that after the cat is removed, the difference in manifolds is small or negligible. Or am I reading too much into what you said?

Yes. Once the cat is gone, no other exhaust modification is really necessary. Headers won’t make much of a difference.
Also the flapper heat control valve inside the stock ex manifold also restricts flow. You can hear the difference when it’s gone.

Yes. Once the cat is gone, no other exhaust modification is really necessary. Headers won’t make much of a difference.
Also the flapper heat control valve inside the stock ex manifold also restricts flow. You can hear the difference when it’s gone.
Got it. I kind of suspected that. My heat riser flap is cut out and the holes for the rod in the middle of the flap are plugged. I hate that thing.

Unless your Exh manifold is cracked, etc., you won't gain much with a header. MAF sells what they call a 'Test Pipe kit', with the proper ends that is a bolt in replacement for the CAT so you don't have to butcher the system in case you ever need to put the CAT back in place. That and a GOOD off-road muffler, like a Magnaflow (you will add a little noise and smell), but be good to go.

My experience with pre-cat 2Fs is that there is in fact a big difference between the stock manifold and pretty much any tubular header. Even on an otherwise stock engine, the difference was always notable.

Mark...

Been meaning to ask you about this! Any noticeable changes? I imagine the goal of doing that swap is partly to circumvent the manifold sealing issues with the stock 2F setup. But do you think it adds anything else?

I’m currently rebuilding a 2F, and I have a two-piece 3FE manifold sitting on my shelf…

I can't say that I've noticed any improvements in how the 2F runs. It is a 2F after all. I had a Downey header on a FJ60 that I swapped over to the FJ40, and the Downey was IMO the best of the headers available at the time. It eventually developed leaks and I scrapped it.

When I got the FJ60 it had a cheaper header on it, SOR I think, and the #6 tube burnt through so I pulled it off. When the #6 tube went it overheated the fluid in the brake MC leading to very poor braking.

I would do the 3FE exhaust manifold before using another header. The 3FE exhaust manifolds are substantial, they're not going to burn through. You have fewer leak points as compared to the 2F exhaust. Fabbing the down pipes is needed but any good exhaust shop can do that.

I did this 7 1/2 years ago and have at least 100k miles on it and I have not had to touch the manifold or down pipe fasteners. Remflex gasket is also holding up.

While I cannot quantify any engine function improvements I'd do it again over a header or the stock 2F setup.

Last edited:
I can't say that I've noticed any improvements in how the 2F runs. It is a 2F after all. I had a Downey header on a FJ60 that I swapped over to the FJ40, and the Downey was IMO the best of the headers available at the time. It eventually developed leaks and I scrapped it.

When I got the FJ60 it had a cheaper header on it, SOR I think, and the #6 tube burnt through so I pulled it off. When the #6 tube went it overheated the fluid in the brake MC leading to very poor braking.

I would do the 3FE exhaust manifold before using another header. The 3FE exhaust manifolds are substantial, they're not going to burn through. You have fewer leak points as compared to the 2F exhaust. Fabbing the down pipes is needed but any good exhaust shop can do that.

I did this 7 1/2 years ago and have at least 100k miles on it and I have not had to touch the manifold or down pipe fasteners. Remflex gasket is also holding up.

While I cannot quantify any engine function improvements I'd do it again over a header or the stock 2F setup.
Right, the primary advantage is that it’s less likely to leak. I’m all for improvements that aid longevity.

I put on the MAF 2 piece along with their complete exhaust with the test pipe. I haven't had any troubles with it yet (about 5 years). Not loud but it comes alive when I get on it. The header and the ceramic coating is quality.

I put on the MAF 2 piece along with their complete exhaust with the test pipe. I haven't had any troubles with it yet (about 5 years). Not loud but it comes alive when I get on it. The header and the ceramic coating is quality.

I just got this exhaust kit from MAF. Headers and Full exhaust. Did you document any of the install? Any hiccups of note I should look out for? Seems to be a well rounded kit, but I can't find anyone who has installed this kit and taken photos. However, nothing was labeled, no parts list, etc.

I just got this exhaust kit from MAF. Headers and Full exhaust. Did you document any of the install? Any hiccups of note I should look out for? Seems to be a well rounded kit, but I can't find anyone who has installed this kit and taken photos. However, nothing was labeled, no parts list, etc.
Pretty straight forward but the header flange is thicker than the intake flange. I cut "C" washers to make up the difference. I loosely attached the rest and then tightened from the rear forward. I had to adjust the rear hanger a bit to keep the pipe from rubbing on the right rear shock . You might have to adjust for clearance near the pinned end of the rear shackle.

I just installed the MAF 2 piece header and y pipe kit.( didn’t do the whole exhaust kit). The header install was very straight forward, I did use a remflex manifold gasket also. I had to add half washers to three bolts because my intake manifold on those three was actually slightly thicker then the exhaust header flange, but other than that I found it much easier then putting the stock exhaust intake manifold in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom