H55F Disassembly with home made SST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Once it was in, I installed the circlip.

Next is the rear bearing retainer. installed and torqued.

This is a good time to double check 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear clearances on the main shaft. Make sure there are no surprises. I didn't replace and bearings or circlips so my clearances stayed the same.

Then comes 5th gear.....
DSCN8598 (Medium).JPG
DSCN8600 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
Before sliding on 5th gear, another pin and washer go into place.

then 5th gear goes on.
DSCN8601 (Medium).JPG
DSCN8602 (Medium).JPG
DSCN8603 (Medium).JPG

5th gear syncro sleeve, keys, and springs assembled and slid into place. Pay attention to orientation here also..

The 5th gear shift fork has to go on with the sleeve. you can't get it on after the sleeve is on otherwise.

Then the syncro hub and ring go on. Make sure the syncro ring grooves line up with the keys.
DSCN8604 (Medium).JPG
DSCN8609 (Medium).JPG
DSCN8611 (Medium).JPG

Torque the nut per FSM and stake it. Check 5th gear clearance.
install front bearing cover..
DSCN8660 (Medium).JPG
DSCN8661 (Medium).JPG
DSCN8662 (Medium).JPG

apply sealant to cover bolts and torque.

New gasket and 5th gear housing goes on... Make sure the lever for the 5th gear shift fork lines up properly..
DSCN8663 (Medium).JPG
DSCN8664 (Medium).JPG
DSCN8665 (Medium).JPG

top cover on and torqued.

Stick in the shifter and make sure all the gears and neutral work like they are supposed to.
DSCN8666 (Medium).JPG
DSCN8667 (Medium).JPG

If you get it all back together by tomorrow you can do a side by side comparison and drive my 60. I know we talked about it, but I bet we're not the only people to say, "well, the H55f, doesn't shift quite as nice like my 4speed!". I feel like mine wants to "stumble" or get coerced into 3rd, esp. when cold. but never really quite a grind. I wonder if there's a commonality on these transmissions.(?)

We'll see, I am gonna got for a nice MTB ride in the morning, then hit this thing hard. I gotta rebuild/reinstall the t case, then figure out some pilot bearing clearance issues with my Mark's adapter and clutch. If I get the Tcase and tranny ready to go in, and the clutch bolted up tomorrow i'll be happy. Maybe next weekend it'll be running.

I'd still like to drive yours though :)

Sheer brilliance, thanks for all the pictures Marco!

Question for you, when you disassembled your shifter, were the studs that locate your shifter loose? One of my studs is loose and I am unsure how to go about fixing it as it looks like a permanent part as opposed to a serviceable part.

Sheer brilliance, thanks for all the pictures Marco!

Question for you, when you disassembled your shifter, were the studs that locate your shifter loose? One of my studs is loose and I am unsure how to go about fixing it as it looks like a permanent part as opposed to a serviceable part.

mine were tight......

i'll have to look at it tonight and see if I can brainstorm any ways to fix yours..

Well, I got it installed with the help of a friend yesterday and got the rest of it tied up today. Took if for a drive and holy s*** it shifts nice now. 3rd which used to grind if you weren't careful pops right in. Sure was a long process to replace the 3rd gear syncro, but it was totally worth it. I am SUPER stoked.

-bump-

This is great. Especially seeing that nowhere in here was a hydrolic press involved. I'm looking at either having to rebuild my H55f or pay someone to do it. Right now it looks like I can buy the rebuild kit, try it myself and, if I fail, fill it with concrete and launch it into the sea and buy a replacement and still come out ahead vs sending it in to a shop to be worked on.

Do you think a slide hammer-style puller would work on these gears or do you need the leverage provided by the style puller you made to get things apart?

I originally spent hours trying to pull the bearing, making special legs for a puller, etc, and still couldn't get the rear bearings out.

I finally took a 1' long, 2" dia piece of tubing, welded one end right to the bearing itself and hooked a slide hammer on the other end. The bearings popped right out.

This is a great thread and really helped with my tranny and t case rebuild. I'm concerned however as I've just finished and have leftovers! Anyone know what this washer is/where it lives. I suspect to case but it's not in the service manual anywhere :bang:

image.jpg

Great article
Just a word of advice
Do not be tempted to use the rear bearing retainer to try and push the bearing in.
And don't ask me how I know this
G

I've been seeking a writeup like this for years. Nicely documented and photographed. Thanks!

bump

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom