GX470 - VVTi a "must have"? Seeking feedback... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Buddy of mine has an '04 GX470. Talking to him, one would think his GX is powered by the same 3FE that powers my '92 FJ80.

I'm casually considering getting a GX myself, just 'cause. I WILL have a trailer at some point....<=3000#'s, it won't be anything over the top.

So, to all you 2UZFE experts out there, is finding a 2005+ (VVTi) simply the right thing to do? I know it wouldn't be "seat of the pants" difference, just wondering if anyone has any inputs here.

I've got zero seat time behind these vehicles, FYI. thx....

I have an 03... Does your buddy do maintenance? I have zero issues

The GX is a rocketship compared to any Land Cruiser. I have zero complaints with my 03 and 04 non-vvti engines, plenty of power.

I have a supercharged 80, it's pretty zippy for an 80 but my stock 2004 GX will out run it without trying......on the street at least.
The 0-60 times for different year GX470's only varies by a half second or so that's why I did not hesitate when I found a good 2004 with a complete maintenance record.

Doesnt matter either way just find the cleanest, lowest mileage one you can with your budget.

They are pretty rare, but if you find a Lifted Lexus decal it adds 5 hp to the butt dyno.

Good stuff guys, sincerely appreciated. So it sounds as though no one has anything bad to say in regards even to the original non-VVti engine. That's essentially what I'm trying to understand so.....still open to feedback here but I'm as confident with considering the 120/GX470 platform as I ever have been.

I love my 3FE, zero issues and soldiering on but a second rig that's more interstate-ready is in the works.

I maintain 80 mph fully built on highway in my 03. Even pulls over the passes out west no worries

The reason we made the heart wrenching decision to sell and replace the well maintained FJ80 with the GX; is the lack of H.P. and not to thrilled about doing a V8 swap.

I cant say enough good things about the UZ motors of all flavors. Best motor Toyota has made.

Picking up a 1-owner '08 tomorrow.... woohoo!!!!

Thx for the inputs here guys, my mind was basically already made up but a few validations from those who've been running these for a while helped push things forward.

Build thread.....soon.

Outstanding :)

so the vehicle I am supposed to be buying does not have KDSS. I will elaborate further later, would you buy it anyway?????

Getting an inspection now. Still open to feedback.

@co4wheel - thanks!!!

Bought it, thx again guys.

Looooong drive home commencing now. Take care....

Non nav, will add pics once I get home. Eating lunch currently in El Paso, tx.

Still 6 more hours of driving.....

I've noticed with my 08 that I get about 40 miles more a tank when i run 93 over 87 or 91, and get about 80 miles more when i run ethanol free. I'm not in the top end of the rev range to make the VVTI kick in and make a difference,but do feel a bit of seat of the pants hp when running the higher octane fuel.

Even better to know. I dont mind the cost diff, because it factors out to be a wash with in the increased mileage.

After drivin an 80 series for 12+ years, the 470 is like driving a sports car. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom