Gateway buckshot mudders . Thoughts? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys
Gotta say, these gateway buckshot mudders are really growing on me, there not super expensive , there tall and narrow , good ol skool look.
Anyone have any experience with these ? How bad could they be on the road ? I know there bias ply and all.

image.jpg

I thought they quit making that model of Buckshot Mudder. Anyways, when I was a kid we had those on my brother's truck. My dad hated them, but damn they were loud and cool looking. They also will dig a hole to China if you let them. What size are you looking at?

I thought they quit making that model of Buckshot Mudder. Anyways, when I was a kid we had those on my brother's truck. My dad hated them, but damn they were loud and cool looking. They also will dig a hole to China if you let them. What size are you looking at?
i was thinking the 33x10.5 , which from what I've read only measure about 9" wide, which i think makes them even cooler.
I also like the 33x10.5 interco tsp radials but there kinda expensive

I bought an old set of 4 q78s (36") while building the 40. They were only used by po for mud bogs once a year and they still had full tread but were weather cracked and one leaked down over roughly 4 days. No word of a lie, a dude traded me 4 new 35" bfg km2s for them that had been on the trail roughly 4 times. He was all fanatical about the mudders and said they were the best tire he had ever run.

Theyve got fans thats for sure.

D

I bought an old set of 4 q78s (36") while building the 40. They were only used by po for mud bogs once a year and they still had full tread but were weather cracked and one leaked down over roughly 4 days. No word of a lie, a dude traded me 4 new 35" bfg km2s for them that had been on the trail roughly 4 times. He was all fanatical about the mudders and said they were the best tire he had ever run.

Theyve got fans thats for sure.

D
I here Ya on that. But would you run them for looks if u weren't gonna do any hardcore trailin or just got with Bfg mud terrain .
I would definatly get them for trailrig but for cool weekend cruiser ?

I have a set of 31x10.5x15 Buckshot Maxxis Mudders on my 1970 fj40I am not sure if this is the same tire or not. Mine are nearly new and ride fine on the road. They are not really all that loud. The problem comes once they wear down. At that point they become rough and loud.

I bought a set for a trip to Baja, back in 90 and put 6,000 miles on them that trip. They were totally ruined by the time I got back, just plain worn out. The truck was aligned right, I think the heat build up might have done it, not sure.

If you like tall and skinny mud tires, check out the 34x9.50 Super Swamppers. I've been running these tires for 17 years and love them! They will be short lived if you do a lot of on road driving, but they are fantastic off road! I air down to about 10psi and they just grab and pull you right along.

Skip

Back in the day, Buckshots worked great in mud. Not sure how they did at highway speeds, the only thing I ever saw them on was hunting trucks and mud toys. They seemed to last forever on the trucks that did run them.

I wish you could still get Q-Buckshots. I would definitely be running a set on my FJ40.

I am pretty sure the newest run of tires only come in 31x9.50-15 and 33x10.50-16.

Speaking of tires wearing out before their time.

I learned a trick to keep my A/T and M/T tires from wearing out prematurely. And I can only speak of my experiences running oversized A/T and M/T on my 76' Scout II, 89' Heep Wrangler and numerous Chevrolet 4x4 pickups and now a FJ40 with 33x12.50-15.

For on highway usage.

NOTE: NO TIRE MANUFACTURERS OR TIRE STORE WILL EVER AGREE TO THIS, BECAUSE THEY DONT WANT THE LIABILITY. ( SO DONT ASK THEM)

I rotate my tires every time I change my oil. Thats every 3-5k miles. o_O
I also decrease or increase my tire pressure. (That's the part that people are going to have the hardest part with.) :hmm:
I go as low as I feel necessary, perhaps 25 psi ( cant recall going any lower than this on my everyday driver)
And as high as 42psi ( Im running this right now in my 13 chevy 1500 4x4) :steer:

I play with the air pressure all the time in my trucks that are running A/T or M/T to keep the tread running flat. Literally "flat" like place a ruler across the top of the tire (outside of tire to inside of tire) and it will be flat. Im not talking PSI flat. Clear as mud right? If the edges are wearing too much, I put more PSI in them to run the tire in the center of the tread. Visa versa if the center is wearing too much Ill decrease the PSI to run it on the edges. :hmm:
Oh and did I say I rotated them every time I changed my oil?:deadhorse:

On my 40, which has Goodyear M/TR 33X12.50x15 with CAVIER side walls. :hillbilly:( ha ha Kevlar side walls) Im running probably 20 PSI. Im running them that low because any more PSI and that truck will beat your teeth out. My suspension is 2.5 inch OME lift with OME shocks. Brand new shocks, not sure how old lift is. :cool:

Overall I seem to get great mileage out of my tires.

Speaking of tires wearing out before their time.

I learned a trick to keep my A/T and M/T tires from wearing out prematurely. And I can only speak of my experiences running oversized A/T and M/T on my 76' Scout II, 89' Heep Wrangler and numerous Chevrolet 4x4 pickups and now a FJ40 with 33x12.50-15.

For on highway usage.

NOTE: NO TIRE MANUFACTURERS OR TIRE STORE WILL EVER AGREE TO THIS, BECAUSE THEY DONT WANT THE LIABILITY. ( SO DONT ASK THEM)

I rotate my tires every time I change my oil. Thats every 3-5k miles. o_O
I also decrease or increase my tire pressure. (That's the part that people are going to have the hardest part with.) :hmm:
I go as low as I feel necessary, perhaps 25 psi ( cant recall going any lower than this on my everyday driver)
And as high as 42psi ( Im running this right now in my 13 chevy 1500 4x4) :steer:

I play with the air pressure all the time in my trucks that are running A/T or M/T to keep the tread running flat. Literally "flat" like place a ruler across the top of the tire (outside of tire to inside of tire) and it will be flat. Im not talking PSI flat. Clear as mud right? If the edges are wearing too much, I put more PSI in them to run the tire in the center of the tread. Visa versa if the center is wearing too much Ill decrease the PSI to run it on the edges. :hmm:
Oh and did I say I rotated them every time I changed my oil?:deadhorse:

On my 40, which has Goodyear M/TR 33X12.50x15 with CAVIER side walls. :hillbilly:( ha ha Kevlar side walls) Im running probably 20 PSI. Im running them that low because any more PSI and that truck will beat your teeth out. My suspension is 2.5 inch OME lift with OME shocks. Brand new shocks, not sure how old lift is. :cool:

Overall I seem to get great mileage out of my tires.

Thanks old skool . Really good info there to chew on . Gonna play around with that.

Back in the early 90's, I had a set of the Buckshot Radial Mudders on a Nissan 720 pickup. I was up in Washington and there was a lot of mud on the logging roads in the Cascades. They were awesome!!!

I wish they would come back with the radial version, too!!

I ran p78's during my mud run days and never lost. I have some Q's sitting in my shed.
20161229_114303_resized.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom