FJ80 or FZJ80? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the market for my first Land Cruiser. It will mainly serve as a family vehicle. We do not live in the mountains, nor do we do any off-roading. We make a couple road-trips a year, with the occasional camping trip. Other than increasing altitude on our way to camping, not many hills or inclined streets for our driving. I'm looking to get 4 years out of our first LC.

I am extremely grateful for this forum and have learned a lot since registering. I have done my due diligence and researched both models. I think I understand the main differences, and am privy to the ongoing debate on this forum regarding which is the superior model.

Regarding my needs, which do you suggest I purchase? I prefer the A440F tranny, so I'm only looking for a '91 - '94.

There's a '91 1-owner with 190k mi for $3500.

There's a '94 4-owner with 225k mi for $5000.

There's a '94 3-owner with 276k mi for $3500.

All have clean exterior and interior, clean carfaxes, and no mechanical issues that I'm aware of. I want something reliable that will get the job done. I do my own maintenance unless power tools are required.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

-Sapo

In this forum, that's a little like asking if guys like sex with brunettes or blondes....

both are great.

I am of the fzj persuasion. I like the 1fz-fe engine and the A442F transmission.
my favorite version is the 93-94...I like the dash and interior (and no airbags) more than the 95-97 (but I wouldn't shake a stick at a Sage 40th)

I think the key is compression and PM records/evidence.

good, even compression tells you a fair amount about the overall condition of the engine. And check for PM...were the front axles serviced? Brakes/Rotors?
U-joints? How are the engine temps? Power steering leaks? Rear main and upper oil pan gasket? front oil pump cover gasket? Have the plug wires been
replaced? (OEM are date coded on the side) etc...

The one with the best PM/records/condition should win.

I'm partial to the 3FE and would really suggest the one owner car. At least you can get a feel for that person and if they would have been particular about maintenance. With two and three owner vehicles you don't know what you're getting into unless you get a 2" thick file folder of all maintenance since new (I did).
The 91' will be simple to maintain, no HG issues, and if you need a locker it's a two hour job to install one in the rear. My 2 cents.

In this forum, that's a little like asking if guys like sex with brunettes or blondes....

Blondes work better with my white 80 I have found. But its a FZJ ;p

Last edited:
Blondes work better with my white 80 I have found. But its a FJZ ;p

i have not seen that model before.:flipoff2:

i'm looking for a 1992, for my own reasons. but the larger motor is nice in these heavier cruisers....plus i think full floating axles are cool.

1FZ and a '95-'97 will get you airbags for the family. Just my .02. ;)

'91 FJ80 FS in Rosamond, CA $3800-not mine

I don't know where you're located but there is clean white '91 for sale in the High Desert of SoCal in the city of Rosamond CA. It's not mine but I looked it over but not under the hood as I already have a '91 project. It does have some leakage at the front seals on the front axle but other than that it looks exceptional inside & out. They are asking $3800 (obo?). I could get the phone number if anyone wants it, not far from my house and I could take some pictures and email them, just PM me with your contact info. :cheers:

I love my 92, now it's my family hauler as well, and I'm def gonna swap in a rear axle from the later models for the disc brake rear.

As everyone says its a bit slow, but built like a tank!

Hopefully gas mileage isn't a issue, I can get 200-250 miles out of a tank.

id love to get 250miles out of a tank!!!!!

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Other than Harry mentioning the airbags, nobody has given a valid reason for me to spend more money for more mileage on an FZJ80. Those suggesting that I go with the FZJ80 didn't warn against the FJ80 for mechanical reasons or major recurring disadvantages other than horsepower. Sounds like preference is the deciding factor.

I expected there to be more comments about OHV (pushrod) vs DOHC engine, but I'm getting the impression that both Toyota creations are reliable and robust. And things like lockers and a floating rear axle are cool, but I will never utilize those features.

I did however hear some valid reasons to choose the FJ80 instead of the FZJ80 from Mr. Jits.

Anything else before I make a decision? Thanks again.

-Sapo

I would be inclined to take the one owner rig, provided it has been properly maintained.

Brian

Anything else before I make a decision? Thanks again.

I'd go with a 95-97 for one big reason. Airbags. They save lives in a big way.

OBD-II is nice too.

And the tranny difference is probably the biggest non-reason to pick a 93-94 over a 95-97. Neither one is a failure point, so..... :meh:

Brian, Cali is expensive. These are no rust Cali-owned vehicles. The prices are very reasonable out West.

EBag, my research let me to believe that the A343F tranny is smaller and weaker than the A440F and the A442F. And because I can only afford a high mileage LC, I have to calculate my risks.

-Sapo

Trannys are very reliable on all 80 series, non factor, IMHO. 93+ Have 4 wheel disc brakes, and larger disc in front. Nicely factory tinted side/rear windows. I think the seat upholstery is nicer and still very durable. 16 inch wheels, these seem to be a more common size than 15 inchers these days' and look better than the 4runner wheels that came stock on 91-92. More powerful engine, questionably better MPG. Smoother tranny (don't see quite as many "clunk" complaints). Viscous center differential, while still retaining ability to lock center differential. Drive one of each and then decide for yourself.

Sent from my android Iconia Tab using Forum Runner

EBag, my research let me to believe that the A343F tranny is smaller and weaker than the A440F and the A442F. And because I can only afford a high mileage LC, I have to calculate my risks.

What Firetruck said, tranny difference is a non issue. Both are used in buses, much more weight/abuse than we'll ever give them. 99.99999% of the failures I've heard of are due to neglect/abuse.

And high mileage LC? What's that? When you see one, let me know. :lol:

The only maintenance difference I can tell is the HG and PHH on the 1fz. This is a one time thing IMHO

Other than that is all about preference, I personally love my 97. It has decent power, modern dash, and i think its more refined. Some prefer the 93-94, some 91-92. I love my airbags, because my wife also drives it.

The thing you need to realize is everyone believes they have the best year. Once you own your cruiser, whichever year you begin to appreciate its attributes. Each year has something to offer and there all 80 series.

I would chose the one that has the best records, and the one you believe is the better pick. In the end there all very nice vehicles, they will serve you for years and keep you safe.

No one buys a cruiser for power, MPG, or a cheap ride. There meant for Cruising, buy one and do so. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom