FJ62 Steering Gearbox - Worth Going Saginaw? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The bracket I purchased and used to hold the Saginaw PS pump allowed you to keep the smog pump installed, but the bracket was held down using the two front driver's side head bolts. I didn't like that, so I removed it and reinstalled the OEM PS pump.

I may be dense here, but what is wrong with using two of the head bolts? I can't think of any issues with this myself and mounted my power steering pump on my FJ40 Saginaw conversion with two head bolts with no problems.

I may be dense here, but what is wrong with using two of the head bolts? I can't think of any issues with this myself and mounted my power steering pump on my FJ40 Saginaw conversion with two head bolts with no problems.

It was just a judgement call. I had/have no way in knowing the real risk that mounting the bracket under the headbolts would have on their capacity to do what they were supposed to do. So instead, I weighed the risk that a failed head gasket would have on the vehicle versus the inconvenience of running the OEM PS pump, and decided that running the OEM PS pump was a better trade-off.

Last edited:

I had the Saginaw bracket that used the two DS front head bolts with my 2F for a number of years with zero problems.

@Tools R Us , now you have me wanting a FZJ80 box! Maybe I need to go find one :hmm:

Try it, they are becoming common/cheap, more '80s are being parted. It should be a simple swap on the later FJ6X, the bolt pattern is the same after what mid '85? I doubt that the early slipper type pump has enough volume to to realize much/any difference, but any of the vane type pumps will work fine.

So would swapping out a good 62 gearbox with an 80 still be an improvement in steering feel, or just better able to handle more turning force? If yes, I might have to keep my eyes open for a junked 80 once I fix my linkage.

So would swapping out a good 62 gearbox with an 80 still be an improvement in steering feel, or just better able to handle more turning force? If yes, I might have to keep my eyes open for a junked 80 once I fix my linkage.

The sloppy steering in FJ6x is not the box, it's the spring loaded tie rod ends. You would have more power though. Definitely thinking about this becase I have both an FJ62 and a spare 80 box.

Okay that's what I was thinking. Hopefully soon I can get rid of those damn spring loaded ends (got a couple ideas that won't compromise strength & reliability but I'll have to find someone who can CNC some parts) since I know mine are what's causing my sloppiness. But if the 80 gearbox isn't necessary for 33" tires that don't see rocks, it'd be nice to just rebuild my gearbox when it's needed and be done with it.

To be honest, Spook...I run a stock FJ60 gear box with 37s. That's on the Rubicon, Death Valley, and Dusy Ershim, plus driving around town. There is nothing wrong with the stock box. If you are finding that your stock box will not turn your tires, by all means upgrade to an 80 box, but what you have will likely work great.

With sufficient pump, there will be a noticeable increase in assist, but it will never be confused with hydro assist.:hillbilly:

There are a few design improvements that that help the "driving experience". They have a spring loaded play removing device that is in effect at center travel, so have less slop when highway cruising. The input section is redesigned, the adjuster moved inside, the thrust bearings changed from ball to axial needle roller, all of the critical shafts/bearings are larger, so take more abuse, while better retaining preload adjustments, and less prone to leakage. Nothing earth shattering, will never be confused for rack and pinion, but are a step up from the earlier designs.

... Hopefully soon I can get rid of those damn spring loaded ends ...

I like those ends, when properly maintained, will take a beating, have converted several 40's to them. On the downside, you have to fiddle, adjust, grease them, on the upside you can adjust, grease them. If even casually maintained, they have a very longlife.

So the answer is unless you upgrade your pump, you probably will have spend some money on a steering that is barely better than stock...

And, if you upgrade your pump, the stock box works better too...

So the answer is unless you upgrade your pump, you probably will have spend some money on a steering that is barely better than stock...

And, if you upgrade your pump, the stock box works better too...

The FJ62 already has the vane pump upgrade, just like the FJ80.

Which still does not produce as much pressure as a good sag pump.

I'm a big fan of toyota and all, but their PS pumps rival Fords.

So, put a sag on it, meh.

I've been doing some research into Saginaw pump pressures, because I agree with you @Mace but didn't have any info to back it up with. Looks like saginaw pumps put out 2.4-3.5 GPM (gallons per minute) at 1100-1450psi (depending on the specific pump you buy). That seems like a ton to me, but I don't know what the stock FJ60 or FJ62 pumps were rated at. I also felt a significant improvement in my steering assist when I moved from the stock pump to a Saginaw pump, without any other changes.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Hydro_Steering/index2.html

Does anyone know what the factory FJ60 and FJ62 PS pumps are rated at for pressure and flow?

to the extent I know you cannot covert to Saginaw/GM steering gear without a lot of fab work.

Keep the OEM steering gear and get it rebuilt....modify and get a Saginaw p/s pump if you want better performance from your p/s pump.
If you want a higher pressure output...look at PSC for aftermarket modified GM p/s pumps. But I think various people have figured out a certain model saginaw p/s pump off a volvo works well due to its pulley arrangement.

Or go crazy and swap in a GM V8..:) just for the p/s pump

According to the FSM About 1,022 psi for the vane pump

power-steering-test-01-jpg.308143

BTW, on all conversions from one pump (or box) to another, you tend to be replacing a warn out part with a newer, properly functioning part (hopefully). So you should always see an improvement. This may skew the opinion of the person doing the mods.

Aaaaaannnnnnddddd I think Dave is nuts for going to all the trouble to swap in a GM steering box into his 60 :D

Whoa, I looked away for a few days and look at what this thread has become! Thanks for everyone's contribution, I'm definitely learning a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom