FJ55 year by year differences listed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I will update this post with corrections/additions. Let me know, folks!

1968:

Grill-mounted lights under headlights
Side mount turn signals
Round amber (front) and red (rear) reflectors side markers located lower on the body
Flat backup lights
Smoker's vent window
1F with 3-speed manual
4-wheel drum brakes
7.60 x 15, 4-ply
4.11 rear axle ratio

1969:

No more grill-mounted lights under headlights (this changed in early/late '69 brochures)
Bottom mount front turn signals
Rectangular amber (front) and red (rear) side markers higher, near belt line (mid-production change, per early/late brochures)
Steering wheel is changed

1970:

No discernible differences from 1969

1971:

No brochures printed?

1972:

I need better brochures

1973:

No smoker's vent window
Rear side markers have grill surround
Bigger, boxy reverse light

1974:

Dash switch for rear window
Locking front hubs (really?)
4-speed transmission (and move to floor shift vs column shift?)
1-piece Land Cruiser emblem (9/73 on-)

1975:

1-piece park/turn/side signal front lamps (mid-production change, per early/late brochures)
Rectangular amber front side markers deleted (integrated to the 1-piece front lamps)
2F introduced
Raised hood to clear 2F

1976:

Front disc brakes introduced

1977:

Door A-pillar curved
H78 x 15 tires
Tailgate does not have Toyota stamped on it (mid-production change)

1978:

3.70 axle ratio
Long rear tail lights
Tailgate is different
4-WD rear emblem mounted high on tailgate

1979:

Same as 1978

Last edited:
This is a cool idea for Pig chronology.

'69 had the grille mounted lights (like '68), but the turn signals were fender mounted.

I think it was Sep '72 they put the side vents on the rear quarter - around the reflectors.

Then I think in early '73 they dropped the bug catcher vent windows. So a small time frame to get bug catchers and rear quarter vents.

At a certain point ('77?), they rounded the window frame on the front doors.

'77 also is the only year the tailgate does not have the raised letters "TOYOTA".

'78 and '79 had the different tail lights - longer and lower.

'79 front grille is different - the area around TOYOTA is hollowed out.

Then there’s the drivetrain change in 73 (?) and engine change in 74 (?), disc brakes in the front starting in 75 or 76 (?). I think that goes along with the 40 series as well, but I’ve never been really good at retaining that information. Someone will be along to correct me shortly...

Updated with what i can see from brochures.

Not sure if you are trying to reference calendar years or model years. I have a 77 model; manufactured October 1976 and it has TOYOTA on the tailgate and I'm positive the tailgate is original. Maybe it was '77 models manufactured from Jan 77 onward? Lots of these changes were made in the middle of model years.

'77 also is the only year the tailgate does not have the raised letters "TOYOTA".

Not sure if you are trying to reference calendar years or model years. I have a 77 model; manufactured October 1976 and it has TOYOTA on the tailgate and I'm positive the tailgate is original. Maybe it was '77 models manufactured from Jan 77 onward? Lots of these changes were made in the middle of model years.

Mine is also a '77 (out of the factory Sept. '76) and has the raised lettering on the tailgate.

Mine is 8-77 with no lettering. Early/late 77 difference?

From ToyoDIY. I assume the part number differences are for the lettering....and maybe more? @RUSH55 I think the manufacture date is the date the frame is produced or at least I read that somewhere. Not sure how accurately the months referenced below match with the VIN date but I could imagine they could be a month off occasionally.

68901GATE SUB-ASSY, TAIL
65061-90360(10/1972 - 08/1977)
65061-90370(09/1977 - 03/1978)

Edit: here's what I get when I reference a 79 model:

68901GATE SUB-ASSY, TAIL
65061-90370(09/1977 - 03/1978)
65061-90375(04/1978 - 06/1980)

Can we sticky/pin this post?

I will update this post with corrections/additions. Let me know, folks!

1968:

Grill-mounted lights under headlights
Side mount turn signals
Round red rear sidemarkers located lower near rear bumper
Flat backup lights
Smoker's vent window
1F with 3-speed manual
4-wheel drum brakes
7.60 x 15, 4-ply
4.11 rear axle ratio

1969:

No more grill-mounted lights under headlights (this changed in early/late '69 brochures)
Bottom mount front turn signals
Rectangular amber (front) and red (rear) sidemarkers higher, near belt line
Steering wheel is changed

1970:

No discernible differences from 1969

1971:

No brochures printed?

1972:

I need better brochures

1973:

No smoker's vent window
Rear side markers have grill surround
Bigger, boxy reverse light
4-speed transmission (and move to floor shift vs column shift?)

1974:

Dash switch for rear window
Locking front hubs (really?)

1975:

1-piece park/turn/side signal front lamps
2F introduced
Raised hood to clear 2F

1976:

Front disc brakes introduced

1977:

Door A-pillar curved
H78 x 15 tires
Tailgate does not have Toyota stamped on it

1978:

3.70 axle ratio
Long rear tail lights
Tailgate is different
4-WD rear emblem mounted high on tailgate

1979:

Same as 1978

Looky there! Nice job 👍 Thanks, @DSP979

FWIW, there was a brief discussion in my thread about how many keys came with the 55s - wasn't discussed deeply or aligned by year, but it seems that some time around the 2f, they went from doors and ignition to adding a third fuel door key...

Interesting thread here! I have a question... it has been suggested that my 4/71 grey Pig was originally meant for the Japanese market, but in 71 they retooled for LH drive and shipped the extra to the American market, hence why there are a number of grey 71’s! Anyone hear of this.

FWIW, there was a brief discussion in my thread about how many keys came with the 55s - wasn't discussed deeply or aligned by year, but it seems that some time around the 2f, they went from doors and ignition to adding a third fuel door key...
My '77 only has two keys. FWIW

mine is a 77 with 3, but its Canadian spec - maybe not such a relevant point to the yoy differences 🤔
Could have had the fuel door cylinder and/or the front door cylinders replaced and not rekeyed. Just a thought.

Interesting thread here! I have a question... it has been suggested that my 4/71 grey Pig was originally meant for the Japanese market, but in 71 they retooled for LH drive and shipped the extra to the American market, hence why there are a number of grey 71’s! Anyone hear of this.

I never heard that one. My parts 71 is gray, also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom